Falling out of bed

Morganlefay

May 20, 2014
Buckinghamshire
My OH was diagnosed 7 years ago but is only becoming iller very slowly. One problem he has is dreams/hallucinations at night, and now he's falling out of bed. We have a HUGE bed but I now sleep in the spare room as he says I disturb him when I snore (I do). But he persists in sleeping on his edge of the bed, and has now started falling out. I have taken all my pillows away, leaving only his in the middle of the bed, but whatever I do he ends up on the very edge of the mattress in danger of falling. When he falls he's disorientated, frightened, sore and I'm not there to help and don't usually hear him. We have no contact with Social Services or anyone like that as he won't acknowledge that there's a problem, but are there things to stop you falling out of bed - and if so how does it work if you need to go to the loo in the night ? And how/where would I get such a thing ? I'm sure there is help and advice out there but he WILL NOT have anything to do with anything which suggests that he has a problem, so I thought I'd seek advice from kind people on here.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
This worked for my OH.

www.amazon.com
Stander 30" Safety Adult Bed Rail - Home Elderly Bedside Safety Rail + Swing Down Assist Handle

by Stander

277 customer reviews

| 78 answered questions

• 41G35ovoVBL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41lrkGn55OL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41QVFYGlQdL._SS40_.jpg
  • 415S4W3jtEL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41NXi33ty7L._SS40_.jpg
  • 411Mw4nYvAL._SS40_.jpg
  • 71VhdpXJvmL.SS40_PKmb-play-button-overlay-thumb_.jpg
  • 2+

• 81LRcvRzOlL._SX522_.jpg

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have taken all my pillows away, leaving only his in the middle of the bed, but whatever I do he ends up on the very edge of the mattress in danger of falling

Hello @Morganlefay

Are you sure your OH can manoevre his body into the centre of the bed? My husband was unable to do this so it made me wonder.

My husband also had a half rail to try to stop him falling. It was supplied by Social Services but I`m afraid it wasn`t successful. He needed to get up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet but forgot his mobility was failing and he needed help. He literally slid out of bed, trying to stand.

Could this be possible for your OH?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Yes, Grannie G, I was also wondering whether a change in mobility was causing the problem. Did he get checked out medically after the falls? Also, has he had any changes in medication recently that correspond with the hallucinations and falling out of bed?

Edit: A baby monitor hidden somewhere discretely in his bedroom would help you to identify when he is getting out of bed. I got one with a video for Mum so I could see exactly what was happening when there were sounds of movement.

Last edited:

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
My OH was diagnosed 7 years ago but is only becoming iller very slowly. One problem he has is dreams/hallucinations at night, and now he's falling out of bed. We have a HUGE bed but I now sleep in the spare room as he says I disturb him when I snore (I do). But he persists in sleeping on his edge of the bed, and has now started falling out. I have taken all my pillows away, leaving only his in the middle of the bed, but whatever I do he ends up on the very edge of the mattress in danger of falling. When he falls he's disorientated, frightened, sore and I'm not there to help and don't usually hear him. We have no contact with Social Services or anyone like that as he won't acknowledge that there's a problem, but are there things to stop you falling out of bed - and if so how does it work if you need to go to the loo in the night ? And how/where would I get such a thing ? I'm sure there is help and advice out there but he WILL NOT have anything to do with anything which suggests that he has a problem, so I thought I'd seek advice from kind people on here.

Social services should be able to get you some bed rails. I’m not sure which department deals with it because every area is different but if you ring them they can point you in the right direction.