Contacting your MP....

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
I just hurt my back lifting my mum off the toilet. I fought for at least 5 years for her to get a diagnosis, now she has been told she has dementia and guess what, no further appointments, information, advice or support. She feels confused, lost and alone. I feel furious and powerless. I will write to Caroline Dineage as advised (many thanks) and copy to my local mp, I wish you luck and hope you have the strength left to do the same. Much love.
Hi

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
Hi betenoir71.. Hopefully your back has improved.. Mine is slow.. But a bit better now.. Doesn't help when I have to change the bed sheets and mattress cover 2 days in a row from accidents during the night.. (not me.. my OH) lucky our daughter comes to help xxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I sign every petition, if there is a letter I adapt it, I write original letters on occasions. BUT like many on here often I am just darned too tired.
When I spoke to my latest GP. I was offered anti depressants, which I have not taken.
If our GPs do not understand the sheer fatigue that comes from constant monitoring an adult 24/7. Listening intently because their faulty logic sensitivitly handled can diffuse their fear but takes our time and effort. Simple jobs take soooooo long because we try to preserve their dignity. Never being 'off duty'.
I do not need pills I need joined up help.
I need a clear guide as to how my husband's needs will need to be funded.
The promised cap may have had faults, but it would have given some certainty for insurers to step in and spread the load.
My MP is a leading Brexiteer and seems blinkered to any other issue, every reply includes how much the government is throwing at the problem being discussed. I am not a member of any party, almost all seem to be more concerned with preserving the party system than tackling hardship. In the meantime we suffer.
I hear the Lords are looking at care, has Anyone the means of giving names of these members as it may be more effective.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Hi AliceA,

I just happened on a radio 4 programme whilst driving yesterday. Lord Lamont of Lerwick (Norman Lamont) was being interview and he said he was on a committee in the Lords looking at adult care funding. Might be the person to write to. I am busy composing a letter in my head but goodness knows when I will have time to get it written.

When the dementia cap was proposed I thought it was a step in the right direction and was surprised when it was denounced as a dementia tax. The general public/press have no idea of the cost of dementia care or for how long it might go on.

Also with you on no anti-depressants. I am not taking pills for someone else's illness. Anyway in my case it is only sensible to be depressed at the moment.

Soroptimist

Jun 10, 2018
@Palerider thanks, I've signed the petition. When I've sent email templates to MPs I find I don't get a response, so that's why I think it's also important to send a personal letter. I understand your frustrations with GPs - I often don't think they realise they can be a massive part of the problem. They are not interested unless it is something they can fix - and they can't (yet) do anything about dementia! But they are one of the most important gatekeepers in accessing what support there is.

@LizzieM, thank you so much for Caroline's details - I will write to her too.

@Lawson58 - good point about the opposition. @rhubarbtree thanks I will look this up!!

I know that my anger about this will turn into exhaustion/apathy/depression at some point, but until then I will try to channel it into action.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I have found some relief by giving up worrying about the money. What he has will go and then something else will have to happen. What, I have no idea. But stopping caring so much about that did help me find a better solution for the present.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Yes, I agree with you Sarahdun, in most things I try to live in the present moment. A Hindu friend gave us a card with Live for today but plan as if you will live forever.
I am at a low point at the moment, my husband is in hospital at the point of receiving a care package.
I am hoping to get him home but nothing is clear and I want to do my very best for him.
Yes, I must bounce back into faith, as experience tells me it is all in hand. Thankyou x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Hi AliceA,

I just happened on a radio 4 programme whilst driving yesterday. Lord Lamont of Lerwick (Norman Lamont) was being interview and he said he was on a committee in the Lords looking at adult care funding. Might be the person to write to. I am busy composing a letter in my head but goodness knows when I will have time to get it written.

When the dementia cap was proposed I thought it was a step in the right direction and was surprised when it was denounced as a dementia tax. The general public/press have no idea of the cost of dementia care or for how long it might go on.

Also with you on no anti-depressants. I am not taking pills for someone else's illness. Anyway in my case it is only sensible to be depressed at the moment.

I had two people see me today, one cut my hair at short notice, the other has known both via a book club.
Each said I looked worn out but not depressed, we had a giggle at a couple of things. I too compose in my head! I may well try to write to Lord Lamont. We need to do something, there have been so many promises.
None have come to anything. At the moment I feel I am blindfolded.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan