New stage of vascular dementia?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.Dad uses a Sara Steady for transfers,although he can use a gutter frame for a few steps...I have noticed that in dad's care plan ,on one of the narratives that it is said dad was leaning backwards on the sara steady,whilst having personal care.(Dad lives at home and is self funding).I have also noticed that when dad walks with a frame ,he shuffles more. Stroke in 2017).He is already being prompted to drink .But needs no promoting to eat..He has forgotten some people's names and had mixed quite a few up...We have a SS assessment on Wednesday,but I didn't know about the backwards leaning.He always leans to the left..Is this another stage?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I have seen the body leaning and shuffling walk mentioned many times on the forum so both would seem to be symptoms of dementia.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
For years my aunt used to occasionally lean to one side and sometimes backwards. She knew she was doing it but couldn’t correct it and used to occasionally get “stuck” and say she was “off her legs”
She had no other symptoms except for a loss of confidence and she could never remember her pin but I used to take her shopping and remembered it for her - seemed safer than her having it written down!!

It wasn’t until she had a TIA which left her talking in numbers that I discovered she had vascular dementia. Amazingly she recovered well from that but the leaning continued and eventually she lost mobility. So it does seem to be a symptom of dementia.