My first, my last, my everything

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I have never really been a fan of the late walrus of love, Barry White, and in fact we walked out of a concert many years ago because the sound was so bad. But when The first, the last, my everything came on the radio - as it was a moment ago - I used to jokingly call it 'our song' and sing it to my wife. It made me smile today to think how she would react and how bemused the dog looked whilst I sang it to him instead. It's schmaltzy and overplayed but still opens a door to good memories of the life we used to have. My kind of wonderful, that's what you are.

Last edited:

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
Our song @northumbrian_k was “Will you still love me tomorrow “. and yes I do but it’s sooooo hard sometimes to find him I know he’s in there.
I do understand how you feel music just always brings back the memories doesn’t it.
(((Hugs))) A x

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Daft as it seems being as we were both aged 50 when we met our song became the Nat King Cole favourite, “ They tried to tell us we’re too young.” The reason was it was one of the first songs she heard me crucify on karaoke in the pub where we met and she enjoyed it. If I try singing anything to her now she gets very angry and indeed shows no interest in music at all. I still frequent the karaoke though.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
The first record we bought together was "I got you babe" We loved older peoples' reactions to Sonny and Cher. All that hair. Not many words but all so true. We were too young 18 and 21, married that year. He was my clown who sorted things when I was sad but that has all gone now.

Last line is pertinent "Ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb". Not sure about that. This Alzheimer's mountain is pretty steep.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Ours was Somewhere from West Side Story. We married in 1963 and in those days there were few places where mixed marriages were accepted.

Now almost any sentimental and nostalgic song brings tears to my eyes. The power of music and meaningful words.

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
Our song was You Make Me Feel So Young by Frank Sinatra. I was 21 and he was 46. Now I’m 60 and he’s 85. I don’t feel so young now! He does still like Frank Sinatra he can’t always remember his name until I remind him!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Ours was Sailing by Rod Stewart. I was 25 and Bill was 46. He came to the school I was teaching in as the new headteacher. We had many songs but I think that was our first.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I can't top that @Guzelle and @Izzy, I'm a mere 64 to my wife's 78. Only when you have seen an 'age gap' from the inside do you understand that it is totally irrelevant to a happy relationship. And it's not just the province of the super-rich or rock stars.

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
I can't top that @Guzelle and @Izzy, I'm a mere 64 to my wife's 78. Only when you have seen an 'age gap' from the inside do you understand that it is totally irrelevant to a happy relationship. And it's not just the province of the super-rich or rock stars.
It was totally irrelevant but sadly now isn’t.... 25 year age gap here and feeling it as vascular dementia is latest (and in my opinion absolute worst) in OHs long line of mid to serious health issues
His tastes in music have changed too - having professed himself a classical buff for years with absolutely no truck with anything remotely ‘popular’ I caught him singing along to a relatively recent tune on Desert Island Discs the other day - quite illuminating somehow :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

That’s lovely and how I always felt. Bill died 3 years ago last month when he was 86 and I was 65. He was always very young looking and remained that way. Any time I had to give his date of birth I always told people I wasn’t the same age as him!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Mums fave tune is Unchained Melody. It was mum and dads together, but sang by Jimmy Young. Mum wanted it played at the end of Dads crematroium service as everyone walked out, so I chose a version by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, more fitting to a funeral. It was well recieved and mum was glad she chose a song they both loved.

I can't believe it but found the soundtrack:

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Mums fave tune is Unchained Melody. It was mum and dads together, but sang by Jimmy Young. Mum wanted it played at the end of Dads crematroium service as everyone walked out, so I chose a version by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, more fitting to a funeral. It was well recieved and mum was glad she chose a song they both loved.

How lovely!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
See above Izzy I found the soundtrack posted above

My goodness. I’ve never heard it played on the pipes before. I love the pipes (of course I’m biased!). It sounds very fitting for a funeral - very dignified.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My goodness. I’ve never heard it played on the pipes before. I love the pipes (of course I’m biased!). It sounds very fitting for a funeral - very dignified.

Being ex-navy dad was not permitted to have a piper at his funeral, though he always said he would like one, so the compromise between mum and dad was this version.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Not, meaningless, they all remind of a time when people were younger when we were not old or ill or struggling with loss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa