Contacting your MP....

Soroptimist

Jun 10, 2018
Just wanting to have a rant - why is everything with dementia so difficult? I've been wanting to write to my Mum's MP about the lack of support for dementia in her area, but have not had a chance until now, when my Mum is now living in a care home that is just over the border from the MP's constituency. I don't live in her constituency either, and I got this on the MP's email response: "Due to strict Parliamentary protocol, MPs may only deal with enquiries from their own constituents and without your full postal address I will be unable to respond to you".

That means I can't officially write to her and actually my mum can't either as she doesn't actually live there any more. Argh!

So... I have written to my Mum's MP using "c/o" my Mum's address, (house is being sold at the moment) and I've written to my own MP but not being specific about the area - as she needs to know about this too.

I heard an MP on the radio saying he didn't hear much from those who care for people with dementia so it doesn't loom large in his mind. That's because carers are too busy caring to have time to lobby MPs!

Sorry, rant over.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I am not sure who is responsible in UK for health, aged care etc but why not write to the Minister for the relevant department? That overcomes the necessity for being a constituent in a particular area.

I am a great believer in writing to MPs, Ministers, local councils etc. If we all sit on our backsides complaining about everything and don't do anything about it, then nothing will change.

So instead of writing just one letter, why not write many? Can you do it online? That makes it easier to annoy lots of people! And I always feel so goooooood when I have a rant to someone who gets paid a huge salary to pretend they are doing something.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Forgot to add that if you are lucky, you might find an MP who has a particular interest in a particular subject and might go in to bat for you. Also you could write to the Opposition spokesperson who has responsibility for whichever area is of interest to you. They sometimes like to have fodder for question time.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
My own MP is like that. If you contact him on Twitter, he'll respond asking you to send him a letter, but only if you're a constituent, and yet I see plenty of other MPs happily talk to anyone on social media. It's utterly annoying how old-fashioned some politicians are.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I wrote twice to my mums MP about lack of services in the area. It did filter down to the SS eventually. The second email did take some strong but appropriate wording in order get things rolling from the MP to the SS.

I think the days of the true politician are gone, these newbies are careerists and have no idea about what they are supposed to represent as an MP.

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
I wrote twice to my mums MP about lack of services in the area. It did filter down to the SS eventually. The second email did take some strong but appropriate wording in order get things rolling from the MP to the SS.

I think the days of the true politician are gone, these newbies are careerists and have no idea about what they are supposed to represent as an MP.
Hi funny I've just had this conversation with our children who we had to ask for help today.. In all the other problems I have hurt my back getting my husband dressed.. Couldn't move.. Now have codine from doc.. We don't have any help from anyone... Had to ask doc about a district nurse for incontinence help and are now on list for visit.. Don't know how long we will have to wait.. No one has suggested this before.. Thought it might be automatic.. There doesn't seem to be any plan after diagnosis which was late and was February...

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi funny I've just had this conversation with our children who we had to ask for help today.. In all the other problems I have hurt my back getting my husband dressed.. Couldn't move.. Now have codine from doc.. We don't have any help from anyone... Had to ask doc about a district nurse for incontinence help and are now on list for visit.. Don't know how long we will have to wait.. No one has suggested this before.. Thought it might be automatic.. There doesn't seem to be any plan after diagnosis which was late and was February...

I was in the same boat when mum started to become more problematic, I didn't have an injury, my problem was work.

I spoke to my assigned GP about things who is a bit like Doc Martin (I have described this before on here), he is an amazing GP in terms of knowledge and clinical ability, but completely useless in terms of 'caring' (otherwise known as bedside manner). He point blank told me that there was nothing in the area for mum and that 'I' have to accept that's it. You couldn't wish to meet a colder GP than my own GP -he is completely too logical with little ability to think sideways, I think Doc Martin has more empathy in his little toe than my own GP.

This is the thing that triggered my writing to mums MP. It took two attempts, the second letter being fiercly representative of people with dementia and their plight (I purposely avoided the term 'older people' because just like cancer it does not confine itself to certain groups and comes in many forms).

I have said this before on here, people who care for pwd are often too busy, too tired or too frazzled to put up a fight, often it is down to those who have the strength and will to write and campaign to the politicians in who we confide our faith for a better society.......though I am beginning to wonder ??

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
I was in the same boat when mum started to become more problematic, I didn't have an injury, my problem was work.

I spoke to my assigned GP about things who is a bit like Doc Martin (I have described this before on here), he is an amazing GP in terms of knowledge and clinical ability, but completely useless in terms of 'caring' (otherwise known as bedside manner). He point blank told me that there was nothing in the area for mum and that 'I' have to accept that's it. You couldn't wish to meet a colder GP than my own GP -he is completely too logical with little ability to think sideways, I think Doc Martin has more empathy in his little toe than my own GP.

This is the thing that triggered my writing to mums MP. It took two attempts, the second letter being fiercly representative of people with dementia and their plight (I purposely avoided the term 'older people' because just like cancer it does not confine itself to certain groups and comes in many forms).

I have said this before on here, people who care for pwd are often too busy, too tired or too frazzled to put up a fight, often it is down to those who have the strength and will to write and campaign to the politicians in who we confide our faith for a better society.......though I am beginning to wonder ??
Hi.. Thanks palerider.. I think you have it right.. Carer's are too frazzled to do anything most of the time.. I wonder if its a postcode lottery... Oh well must keep trying to change it.. Won't hold my breath.. Just taken another painkiller...

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi.. Thanks palerider.. I think you have it right.. Carer's are too frazzled to do anything most of the time.. I wonder if its a postcode lottery... Oh well must keep trying to change it.. Won't hold my breath.. Just taken another painkiller...

It is entirely up to you what you do, just be mindful about complaining in the future if you do nothing in the now

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
Just wanting to have a rant - why is everything with dementia so difficult? I've been wanting to write to my Mum's MP about the lack of support for dementia in her area, but have not had a chance until now, when my Mum is now living in a care home that is just over the border from the MP's constituency. I don't live in her constituency either, and I got this on the MP's email response: "Due to strict Parliamentary protocol, MPs may only deal with enquiries from their own constituents and without your full postal address I will be unable to respond to you".

That means I can't officially write to her and actually my mum can't either as she doesn't actually live there any more. Argh!

So... I have written to my Mum's MP using "c/o" my Mum's address, (house is being sold at the moment) and I've written to my own MP but not being specific about the area - as she needs to know about this too.

I heard an MP on the radio saying he didn't hear much from those who care for people with dementia so it doesn't loom large in his mind. That's because carers are too busy caring to have time to lobby MPs!

Sorry, rant over.
I have just signed a petition, for Alzheimer's Society, to send to Boris Johnson, about more care etc for Alzheimer's Dementia, I don't know wether the petition is on this forum, perhaps one of the moderators can point or put it on, it was on my Facebook page x

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I attended a meeting on carers' day with both our local MPs - both were ever so sympathetic and promised to raise questions in parliament etc. Neither actually did anything that I am aware of. One tweeted on the day and frequently afterwards about the local post office closing but nothing about carers - the other (who promised the most) has done b....r all. So I will go on complaining but am afraid that until they have sorted our their 'vanity' projects and their internal political rivalries nothing will happen and even then ...... anyone holding their breath?

Just to be fair - I also asked doorstop campaigners before the local elections - they had no idea about whether their parties had any policies - one lot even backed away laughing and asking if I wanted a postal vote!

Rant over - may delete when feeling calmer!

Don't delete this, its a part of all of our journeys ;)

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I have just signed a petition, for Alzheimer's Society, to send to Boris Johnson, about more care etc for Alzheimer's Dementia, I don't know wether the petition is on this forum, perhaps one of the moderators can point or put it on, it was on my Facebook page x

me too

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
The MP to write to is Caroline Dinenage (yes she’s Fred’s daughter) who is MP for Gosport, Stubbington, Lee-on-the-Solent and Hillhead and is also a Minister of State for Health including Care;
Minister of State for Care
The minister’s responsibilities include:
  • overseeing all aspects of adult social care, including dementia, loneliness and disabilities
  • hospital care quality and patient safety
  • community health services
  • health and social care integration
If she or her office ignore your communication I would be very surprised and very disappointed (nothing to do with Party or colour of politics) - I’ll watch this thread with interest.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
The MP to write to is Caroline Dinenage (yes she’s Fred’s daughter) who is MP for Gosport, Stubbington, Lee-on-the-Solent and Hillhead and is also a Minister of State for Health including Care;
  • overseeing all aspects of adult social care, including dementia, loneliness and disabilities
If she or her office ignore your communication I would be very surprised and very disappointed (nothing to do with Party or colour of politics) - I’ll watch this thread with interest.

I will be writing to her :)

Stripey3

May 29, 2019
Someone told me there was a clip on the news, I think yesterday, saying that Barbara Windsor has written an open letter to Boris Johnson urging him to sort out the dementia care in the Uk. Anyone else have any knowledge ??

Betenoir71

Jun 20, 2019
I just hurt my back lifting my mum off the toilet. I fought for at least 5 years for her to get a diagnosis, now she has been told she has dementia and guess what, no further appointments, information, advice or support. She feels confused, lost and alone. I feel furious and powerless. I will write to Caroline Dineage as advised (many thanks) and copy to my local mp, I wish you luck and hope you have the strength left to do the same. Much love.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs

Thanks for that. I have already signed the Alz Society open letter and bypassed my MP and wrote straight to the PMs office (via email) as soon as Boris was appointed. They promise all communications will be read & considered and where appropriate passed on the relevant department.

https://email.number10.gov.uk/

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts