Unable to cope following fall - what to do?

phnxlewis

Jul 21, 2019
My Mum has had 2 falls in the last week. I live a 3 hour drive away and work full time. Mum has hurt her side and back - the hospital X-rayed her chest and told me that she's just bruised and to take paracetamol as required (she has pain patches already). Both Mum and the hospital seemed keen to discharge her, so she was discharged at about midnight on Friday. She is in a lot of pain (which I'd expect) when moving, coughing, yawning etc, however the really big problem is that she is unable to get up from sitting unaided, get into bed unaided, or get up or down the stairs without a lot of help. She is only just able to walk and looks very, very wobbly, and I'm frightened that she'll fall again. Carers come in for half an hour morning and evening, but they are of limited help and wouldn't be able to lift her to standing. I work full time, so can't stay here indefinitely. Any ideas of where I should go to try and get help or support? Thank you.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to DTP. Is your Mum paying for her own carers or have they been provided following a social services care needs assessment? If she is paying for her own care can you arrange for more carer visits? If the care has been arranged via social services contact them and let them know that your Mum's care needs have changed. They can then re-assess her and provide more help, which it sounds like she needs.

Did the hospital only x-ray her chest or did they also x-ray her side and back? My Mum was displaying similar symptoms to yours after a fall - in a lot of pain and having difficulty in getting up, standing and walking. We discovered some time later that she had a fractured spine. Pain can really effect mobility so if you think that the hospital may have missed something contact her GP to ask for an examination. It's not good that she's been left in pain so her medications might need to be reviewed. From personal experience hospitals want to discharge people as quickly as possible but this can result in things being missed. An assessment from an occupational therapist would be beneficial, to ensure that your Mum has the aids that she needs to help keep her safe - the GP can arrange this.

phnxlewis

Jul 21, 2019
Welcome to DTP. Is your Mum paying for her own carers or have they been provided following a social services care needs assessment? If she is paying for her own care can you arrange for more carer visits? If the care has been arranged via social services contact them and let them know that your Mum's care needs have changed. They can then re-assess her and provide more help, which it sounds like she needs.

Did the hospital only x-ray her chest or did they also x-ray her side and back? My Mum was displaying similar symptoms to yours after a fall - in a lot of pain and having difficulty in getting up, standing and walking. We discovered some time later that she had a fractured spine. Pain can really effect mobility so if you think that the hospital may have missed something contact her GP to ask for an examination. It's not good that she's been left in pain so her medications might need to be reviewed. From personal experience hospitals want to discharge people as quickly as possible but this can result in things being missed. An assessment from an occupational therapist would be beneficial, to ensure that your Mum has the aids that she needs to help keep her safe - the GP can arrange this.
Thank you so much for your reply. Mum funds her own carers, and whilst I intend to increase the number of visits, the company have said that they may not be able to arrange this immediately.
The hospital only x-rayed her chest - she'd refused to have it done 'til I arrived. I think I'll contact her GP in the morning, and hope that they will come and check her over. I'll also ask if we can get another OT assessment - good idea.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It was only by asking the GP to send Mum for an x-ray that the fracture was discovered. By way of response, the hospital said "it was their duty to minimise radiation exposure for every patient". You would think that a chest x-ray wouldn't be the first priority following a fall but it seems to be done almost as standard in the elderly, regardless of the radiation exposure risk :rolleyes: With regards carers, it might be worth trying another care agency to provide short term extra cover until the usual company can get something in place themselves. Let us know how you get on, and hopefully the GP will be able to reduce your Mum's pain.