top up fees

dostbury2

Sep 13, 2015
Hi everyone, my partner has been assessed, for what type of care is required, and residential nursing has been put forward to some higher body, that will let me know in about a months time if they accept the findings. I have lasting power of attorney and have made a will. When we have both passed on, the sale of the house will split four ways to my two sons and my partners two kids. I will not agree to pay top up fees out of my income. I am assuming all care homes want a top up fee,can they by law get to my partners share of the house to fund any extra monies. Thanks dostbury2

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No, because most top ups are third party top ups, and someone has to agree to pay them - they can't help themselves.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The Local Authority has, by law, to find at least one care home that can meet the PWDs needs and will accept their rate, so that top-ups are not required. So you shouldnt have to pay top-ups if you dont want to/are unable to afford it.

If you decide that you dont want him to go there for any reason (it may not be easy to get to, for example) and wanted him to go anywhere else, then unfortunately top-ups will be required.

dostbury2

Sep 13, 2015
The Local Authority has, by law, to find at least one care home that can meet the PWDs needs and will accept their rate, so that top-ups are not required. So you shouldnt have to pay top-ups if you dont want to/are unable to afford it.

If you decide that you dont want him to go there for any reason (it may not be easy to get to, for example) and wanted him to go anywhere else, then unfortunately top-ups will be required.
Thanks canary I am happy to accept the first offer, but I have a bolshie stepdaughter who is determined to make me pay extra funds without any contribution from her

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have a bolshie stepdaughter who is determined to make me pay extra funds without any contribution from her
I bet she doesnt do any of the caring either

In my books, people who do not get involved in the caring have not earned the right to make caring decisions.
Stick to your guns.

dostbury2

Sep 13, 2015
I bet she doesnt do any of the caring either

In my books, people who do not get involved in the caring have not earned the right to make caring decisions.
Stick to your guns.
Thanks for replying, will no doubt be in touch soon seeking more info about partners care.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Dostbury,

I don't think you should have to pay top-up fees. I don't know whether your partner is self-funding but when his savings go below £23500 and you can't afford the top-up then the local authority may have to find another home but you may not get to this point ( I was in your shoes until almost four weeks ago). You could find yourself applying for CHC or something silly. As for your step-daughter don't listen to her I am riding out my youngest invisible who asked about the house a week after dad's funeral and came by yesterday and asked the same thing. I told him a thing or two about probate and what he should done when I/we needed him.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Dostbury,

I'm sorry but I didn't check this and I've just found I've made an error. What I meant was that you could find yourself applying for CHC or something similar.

Sorry

MaNaAk

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
CHC is rarely granted so while it's always a good idea to try, please don't get your hopes up.