Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point :)

If you have dementia, or care for someone who does, you're very welcome to join our community and get support from others. Find out more about how to join and say hi to our friendly community on this discussion!

Finding out more

If you've got questions about how to use Dementia Talking Point click on these links below.
  • You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.
  • Our Help videos will show you how to navigate the different areas of Dementia Talking Point.
  • We also have a Quick Guide explaining how to use Dementia Talking Point including logging in, posting, replying, checking private messages and searching.
  • Also we recommend having a read through our Guidelines which are some useful tips and things to remember when posting.

Connecting with others

Head over to our list of forums to find people who are in a similar situation, people at a similar stage of dementia or an information topic that interests you.

Here are some tips on how to post a reply or start your own discussion...

1. When you're in a forum, look for the blue "Post New Thread" or "Reply" buttons at the top or bottom of discussions

post a thread smaller screen.png

reply to thread smaller screen.png

2. To start a discussion, type a title, add your message and choose 'Create Thread'.

create thread smaller screen.png

3. To add a reply just add your message and choose "Reply"

reply screen smaller screen.png

---

Any questions?

If you have any questions about using Dementia Talking Point, you can email us on talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk or Use our Contact Form - we're here to help.

Saying hello

This is our welcome thread - the place many members start. Our volunteer hosts and regular members are here to say hello to you and to welcome you to our community.

Why not tell us a little about your experience and how you'd like Dementia Talking Point to help you?

Whatever you're facing today, we hope you find our community to be helpful and supportive.

Mark :)

Jbean

Jun 29, 2019
Hello. My Mum has Alzheimer's and has recently come to live with me, my husband and son. I am now her main carer- 3 months in and I am still finding my care role a shock and the biggest challenge of my life. There is so much I am having to learn about everyday care. I feel very isolated and under confident so any help, advice, encouragement would be gratefully received and I hope at some point I might be useful to other members.

aeldra

Jul 1, 2019
One of my family member suffer from dementia and I don't know how to deal with such situation. Also need help with dementia management. Thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @aeldra and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear that dementia has entered your life. Dementia Talking Point is great place to find support and information.

This link will take you to the Society's fact sheets. You may find something of interest to you there -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets

That's a lot of information to take in so perhaps it might be best to ask a specific question or share something specific that's concerning you. If you like you can start your own thread, perhaps in the I Care For A Person With Dementua area of the forum. Just click on the post new thread button in this link.

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/

If not then have a look around and see if you can find threads that interest you. I know you'll find lots of help here.

Looking forward to seeing you around.

minicooper60

Jul 3, 2019
my mother has finally been diagnosed with dementia and I'm not sure how to handle it emotionally or practically yet. hoping for help in this forum

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
my mother has finally been diagnosed with dementia and I'm not sure how to handle it emotionally or practically yet. hoping for help in this forum
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point, minicooper60. Sorry your mother has had a dementia diagnosis, but if you need support or advice there is great number of people here who are going through similar battles.
From a practical point of view it's best to see if your mother will give you power of attorney even if it is not activated straight away. AgeUK are pretty helpful with the forms. You might need local support services and memory cafes are good places to meet others in the same boat, both for your self and your mother. If you type your postcode into the search engine at https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you you should find what you are looking for.

Divemastergal

Jul 3, 2019
Hello, I am going through the process of being diagnosed with dementia (early onset). This process has been a very slow process. I am now waiting for my consultant consultation in September. I was self employed but have had to give up work due to difficulties with speech adn sometimes writing. Due to not having a full diagnosis yet (of what type of dementia) I am stuck in no mans land. I tried talking to Alzheimers group today, but again, they can't do much until I have a formal diagnosis. Most days I am positive but today has been really bad. There seems to be a distict lack of communication from the hospital and consultants. I have been really upset and anxious because I haven't known what is going on. Is anybody else going, or been through, this? What did you do, or are you doing, that has helped direct you in the right direction. Please let me know.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hello, I am going through the process of being diagnosed with dementia (early onset). This process has been a very slow process. I am now waiting for my consultant consultation in September. I was self employed but have had to give up work due to difficulties with speech adn sometimes writing. Due to not having a full diagnosis yet (of what type of dementia) I am stuck in no mans land. I tried talking to Alzheimers group today, but again, they can't do much until I have a formal diagnosis. Most days I am positive but today has been really bad. There seems to be a distict lack of communication from the hospital and consultants. I have been really upset and anxious because I haven't known what is going on. Is anybody else going, or been through, this? What did you do, or are you doing, that has helped direct you in the right direction. Please let me know.

Welcome to Dementia Talking Point Divematergal. Sorry I can't answer your question from experience, but https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis might help you.
If you can post on https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-have-dementia.56/ you should find others who have been diagnosed with dementia more easily. I hope any of that helps and the forums can find you the support and the answers you need.

Witzend726

Jul 7, 2019
Hello, I'm new to Talking Point. My mum wishes to remain living alone & independently, She has recently been diagnosed with dementia. So far this has been a worrying, exhausting & frustrating experience even though I know it is only the start of the journey. I would love to hear from anyone who is in, or has experience, of being in a similar situation.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello from me too @Witzend726

I looked after my dad with dementia in his own home until the late stages.

One of the first things dad did was set up a Lasting Power of Attorney for both finance and Health and Welfare. These proved invaluable in the later stages when dad could no longer manage his own finances and eventually needed 24/7 care. He also made sure his will was up to date while he still could.

One thing I would say from my own experience is - get as much help in as you can for your mum. As you've said it is exhausting both mentally and physically looking after for some one with dementia so get a care needs assessment for your mum and a carer's assessment for you done ASAP.

Now that you've found us keep posting. I found DTP a good source of support throughout my home caring for my dad. To be honest I don't know what I'd have done without it!

Kirkster

Jul 8, 2019
Hello! Well I’ve finally signed up to this forum and I’m looking forward both to feeling supported and giving support

Kirkster

Jul 8, 2019
My mum has recently had repeat memory assessment indicating a score of 58/100. Despite me recognising her memory is worsening , it was still a shock for her to be told the likelihood it’s a dementia (not sure of the type as it’s pending further investigation ). The future is so uncertain and not sure of next steps. Mum lives alive with three times daily carers. My worry is the rapid change in three weeks. I don’t think she has an underlying infection. Any advice greatly appreciated please

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Kirkster and welcome to DTP

Getting a diagnosis of dementia always comes as a shock, even when you are expecting it.
Dementia can often go down in "steps" especially if its vascular dementia. You did the right thing in getting her checked for infections. Im glad she already has carers in place.

Do you have POA and has she made her will? If not, do please get them done PDQ before it is too late. You dont have to go to a solicitor to do it - they can be done online. Do you also know about getting Attendance Allowance and a disregard for Council Tax? If not, do please get them organised. Organisations like Age UK can help with the form filling.

Have a mooch around the forum, though do remember that not everyone gets all the symptoms.
When you are ready do feel free to start your own thread.

Laura1989

Jul 9, 2019
Hi I am nee to all this. My dad has been recently diagnosed with moderate vascular dementia. I am his main carer. I have been struggling with the change in him and my emotions, he can be very nasty to me but need me so much. I have a full time job and 2 children. Just looking for ways on how to process feelings and talk more as I have been very low some weeks. Xx

Laura1989

Jul 9, 2019
I am in the same position currently with my dad. I dont know what to do for the best or how to feel somedays xx

Kirkster

Jul 8, 2019
Hello @Kirkster and welcome to DTP

Getting a diagnosis of dementia always comes as a shock, even when you are expecting it.
Dementia can often go down in "steps" especially if its vascular dementia. You did the right thing in getting her checked for infections. Im glad she already has carers in place.

Do you have POA and has she made her will? If not, do please get them done PDQ before it is too late. You dont have to go to a solicitor to do it - they can be done online. Do you also know about getting Attendance Allowance and a disregard for Council Tax? If not, do please get them organised. Organisations like Age UK can help with the form filling.

Have a mooch around the forum, though do remember that not everyone gets all the symptoms.
When you are ready do feel free to start your own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan