Early onset Alzheimer's.

mikeyboy

Jul 29, 2018
After almost a year caring for my brother he has finally got a diagnosis. He has early onset familial Alzheimer's. He is 40 years old. My wife and I are currently trying to find out what help and support is available both for my brother living with dementia and for us as carers. This is proving problematic because of the young age. Help and advice seems to be mostly aimed at older people. I would be interested to know if anyone else is in this position and experiencing similar difficulties.

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
After almost a year caring for my brother he has finally got a diagnosis. He has early onset familial Alzheimer's. He is 40 years old. My wife and I are currently trying to find out what help and support is available both for my brother living with dementia and for us as carers. This is proving problematic because of the young age. Help and advice seems to be mostly aimed at older people. I would be interested to know if anyone else is in this position and experiencing similar difficulties.

Its a minefield, we were in this situation almost exactly a year ago, although myDad was 59 and not as young as your Brother. However, its the same scenario, the people we have had battle with all because it is perceived as an 'older/senior' persons disease. There is perhaps some help/advice I can provide to you, if you want to drop me a message I can give you an email, or you can just fire away with questions and i'l try to help as much as possible. It sounds like you are doing a great care job already too.

Rich PCA Carer

Aug 31, 2015
North Gloucestershire, UK
Another useful starting point is Rare Dementia Support, http://www.raredementiasupport.org/, since familial Alzheimer’s is not common. Look for information about FAD.

If your brother is not independently wealthy, he should be entitled to ESA, provided they agree that he is unable to work.

My wife is 65 and has PCA and as care homes go, this is very young, so we are looking to keep her at home as long as possible. We don’t need carers yet, she was diagnosed 4 years ago, but that time will be upon us all too soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petal705