What If ?

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
MOH recently fell and fractured his femur, this was pinned and all seemed to be going well until it was discovered that he had an infection in the op site, and a UTI, which was found to be an ESBL, e-coli ! He has been transferred to three different hospitals, as well as returning to the main hospital twice, to A & E.

He is now very confused, doesn't know where he is, (no wonder), has practically stopped eating and won't take much fluid. In spite of my encouragement to eat, he refuses. I have explained that he must gain strength to be able to return to our home. He has now lost quite a lot of weight, and is virtually unable to stand even with the physios.

Now his return to our home is being assessed, as I am myself disabled, even having previous nursing experience, I will be unable to care for MOH alone if he is unable to stand on his own. Therefore it seems that we will either have to employ carers, or have MOH admitted to a care home. A close friend has recently experienced a similar situation, so I am familiar with the procedure, BUT we have a small mortgage granted to us on the income of both of us. MOH has an occupational pension which as I understand it fifty percent of that will go towards his care, this being the case, I will be unable to pay the mortgage. I know that if he dies, his pension would be transferred to me, leaving me well able to pay the mortgage. But this isn't the case.

What happens to my home if I can't pay and would the financial assessment allow for the mortgage, as it is in joint names ? Any advice greatly appreciated.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think you would be in the realms of discretionary powers regarding the LA.
Why not ask their finance dept the specific question?

You could also probe the mortgagee for information, they may not want to
foreclose unless absolutely necessary and may be able to come up with a solution based on your circumstances.

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
I think you would be in the realms of discretionary powers regarding the LA.
Why not ask their finance dept the specific question?

You could also probe the mortgagee for information, they may not want to
foreclose unless absolutely necessary and may be able to come up with a solution based on your circumstances.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I can ask the question if and when necessary, I just thought that some forum members may have been in a similar situation to us.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As I said I think you are dealing with discretion as far as the LA is concerned .
Unless somebody comes up with a legal reply giving mandatory information, other members experiences are of little consequence - unless they are in your LA.

There's no harm in contacting both the LA and the mortgagee on a 'what if ' basis.

'Failure to prepare' is to 'prepare for failure'

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
MOH recently fell and fractured his femur, this was pinned and all seemed to be going well until it was discovered that he had an infection in the op site, and a UTI, which was found to be an ESBL, e-coli ! He has been transferred to three different hospitals, as well as returning to the main hospital twice, to A & E.

He is now very confused, doesn't know where he is, (no wonder), has practically stopped eating and won't take much fluid. In spite of my encouragement to eat, he refuses. I have explained that he must gain strength to be able to return to our home. He has now lost quite a lot of weight, and is virtually unable to stand even with the physios.

Now his return to our home is being assessed, as I am myself disabled, even having previous nursing experience, I will be unable to care for MOH alone if he is unable to stand on his own. Therefore it seems that we will either have to employ carers, or have MOH admitted to a care home. A close friend has recently experienced a similar situation, so I am familiar with the procedure, BUT we have a small mortgage granted to us on the income of both of us. MOH has an occupational pension which as I understand it fifty percent of that will go towards his care, this being the case, I will be unable to pay the mortgage. I know that if he dies, his pension would be transferred to me, leaving me well able to pay the mortgage. But this isn't the case.

What happens to my home if I can't pay and would the financial assessment allow for the mortgage, as it is in joint names ? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Also do you have any insurances? Income protection insurance? Personal accident cover? This can sometimes be tagged onto life insurance within that policy

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
You may also qualify for Pension Credit if your income is less than £167.25 weekly.

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Thank you for your replies.

I'm not sure about insurance cover, but I will make enquiries. Re. pension credit, I will also research that. I can't be the only person to have ever been in this position.