It's a grieving process

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
Mum passed away on may 25th. I stupidly thought that although my sisters live local, and I live 120 mile away, I would deal with it so much easier. How wrong was I???
I am taking it out on my husband. I am depressed, I am drinking and I am afraid to be alone. I hate waking up in the morning and then realising Mum has died.
Are these normal in the grieving process??

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @stockport1965 Not there yet but I would imagine that almost anything is normal in the grieving process.

You need to be kinder to yourself and cut yourself some slack (whatever that means)

I don't think any of us can be prepared for this but it was not your fault, it just happens. I am sure that you did your best for your mum but she is gone now and you need to think of you and your future as that is what is important now.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @stockport1965
yes, your feelings are your feelings and we each grieve in our own way
when my mum died, a few years ago, I put some photos in frames and placed them where they would catch my eye in different rooms ... they were pictures of her smiling, one waving into the camera, so I just had to smile and wave back ... it helped me to begin to think of all the good times and be glad she had been in my life .. of course there were tears too, though with smiles and warm memories rather than negative ... I also had a cardigan of hers that I put on to have a hug from her
I am a bit concerned for you, maybe go have a chat with your GP
or consider contacting CRUSE
https://www.cruse.org.uk/

Ray96

Sep 29, 2018
Mum passed two weeks ago today and am feeling exactly the same. Sometimes can't sleep, can't get up in the mornings, nothing to look forward too, no more Christmas's, Birthdays, Mother's days...And i have been drinking but trying to keep busy sorting everything out, luckily I have had lots of support from friends.
It will take a while, the morning process is never going to be easy, in fact there would be something wrong if you didn't have these feelings.

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
Mum passed two weeks ago today and am feeling exactly the same. Sometimes can't sleep, can't get up in the mornings, nothing to look forward too, no more Christmas's, Birthdays, Mother's days...And i have been drinking but trying to keep busy sorting everything out, luckily I have had lots of support from friends.
It will take a while, the morning process is never going to be easy, in fact there would be something wrong if you didn't have these feelings.

Sorry for your loss Ray,
I've had a better day today, have made the decision not to drink in the week. It doesn't help and makes me feel worse.
I have been out walking as well, that has really helped

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Everyone grieves in different ways. It is now almost 3 months that my mum passed away & I just got a bit emotional now.
I have been so busy dealing with everything afterwards such as sorting out her bungalow to sell plus running my own business that I have very little time to look after me but that is what I need to do!
If you are concerned about your feelings & drinking more & feeling depressed then please go & speak to your dr. You might need a short course of anti depressants to perk you up & there is no shame in that whatsoever.

When my ex husband & I split up, I was at rock bottom & needed meds & took them for 6 mths & never looked back.

Ray96

Sep 29, 2018
Sorry for your loss Ray,
I've had a better day today, have made the decision not to drink in the week. It doesn't help and makes me feel worse.
I have been out walking as well, that has really helped

Yes drinking can certainly make you feel worse, I'm glad you had a better day,
there are going to be better days now but also some not so good one's, particularly if you let to many old memories preoccupy your mind. I have been through almost the whole life of my mum in the last two weeks, things keep popping into my head from years ago.