Tena Man

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
my Dad has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and recently he has started to get caught out and has started to occasionally wet himself. As most people are he is very proud and doesn’t really talk about it when it happens. Tonight I found his wet pants hidden wrapped up in his jeans he wore that day. I think he might need to start using Tena men pads but not sure on
a) how to raise this with him?
b) should I suggest a GP appointment in case anything else is going on?

Any thoughts or advice on what others did in this situation would be grateful

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I offered incontinence pants to my husband when I noticed he was moving more slowly and sometimes didn`t get to the toilet in time. He was relieved.

Do you think saying something like this would work with your dad @Rach1985

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
I need to think of something so any ideas help @Grannie G
I’m hoping that he will have a similar reaction as it is slowly becoming an issue

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Make an appointment with the Incontinence clinic through your GP. The situation will progress. Pull-ups during the day will give some protection. If you need to talk to him about it do it matter of factly and briefly. It's a human problem and one we may all have to deal with.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad never accepted that he was incontinent so getting him to wear the pants was almost impossible. In the end I removed all his other underwear and left him no choice. He went commando!!!

Eventually I told him the doctor had prescribed special pants to stop him getting pressure sores cos he sat down so much. He accepted that but then complained that the doctor was an idiot and had sent him women's pants which he wasn't going to wear :mad:...so I stamped the word "men's" on the front of the pants...then he complained that they made his bum look big ...:rolleyes:

He wore them though.

Good luck!

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH was very responsive to wearing pads. I played on the cost of replacing the mattress or having the sofa cleaned as he always looked after things and would have hated the thought of them being ruined..
I would say something like, ' We don't want the expense of changing the mattress do we' or 'We don't want to have someone in charging a fortune to clean the sofa do we'. It worked for us.

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
@Bunpoots this is what I’m worried about, him not accepting it. He is one of those men that thinks of incontinence as a ‘women’s’ problem therefore doing anything regarding it I fear will lead to conflict. Especially as at this point he is mild and so still is quite independent

Thank you @RosettaT that is a good idea especially with the mattress, he is very particular about his as he thinks it’s just right so a good idea!!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Do you know about kylie sheets to protect the mattress? They are not cheap but worth it. I have three single ones which I use length wise on his double bed tucked under the pillow at the top. Even if he wets the kylie I can whip it off and put a clean one on the dry bed. That just leaves his pjs to change.

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
That also sounds like a good idea as right now we have a cloth mattress protector
Thank you

Stripey3

May 29, 2019
@Rach1985

I buy Tena ‘Men’ for Dad and the fact that it has ‘men’ on the packet seems to work.
He wears them quite happily but only if he can wear his normal pants over the top!
It works and I guess he keeps his dignity by being able to wear normal pants which is important to him.
Worth a try.
Good luck and very best wishes

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
@Rach1985

I buy Tena ‘Men’ for Dad and the fact that it has ‘men’ on the packet seems to work.
He wears them quite happily but only if he can wear his normal pants over the top!
It works and I guess he keeps his dignity by being able to wear normal pants which is important to him.
Worth a try.
Good luck and very best wishes
Yes this is what I was wondering if the men aspect of it would help him and having them under normal pants.
Thank you

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976