Keeping my Dad as independent as possible at home

Maria001

Jun 23, 2019
Dad has Alzheimer's, he lives in a flat on his own with the support of carers and my family.
I am looking for a reliable sensor to put on the front door and French doors which will alert me should he leave between specific times midnight to 7 am.
Additionally, a GPS tracker that has a facility for me to talk to Dad in an emergency. Any advice appreciated.

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
Does he have an iPhone? You can use find my iPhone
If you have a gps tracker how will you know he has it on him at all times? This is an issue with my dad, he won’t at the moment wear anything, and even if we tried to make him when we aren’t around he won’t pick up or wear the gps tracker.
Do you think you could get him to wear anything around his wrist or neck?
Is there anything he never leaves the house without?
Would he agree to the tracker?
All questions I have asked myself, my dad is early stages at the moment and he is still ‘with it’ and would never agree to any tracking

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Maria001
a warm welcome to DTP
there are threads here about trackers and door alarms etc, so you might try a search from the Home page
I had both from my Local Aithority Adult Services, who installed and maintained them ... so maybe contact your dad's LA and ask them

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
My local authority supplied a tracker, sensor for the door and other useful devices for my Mum. I would contact your Dad’s LA and see what they can do for him before you start purchasing anything yourself.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My LA also supplied (free) door sensors for my mother, they were attached to a Linkline service - so if she went out, it sent a signal to their call centre, and if necessary they would then ring whoever was the contact (you). That seemed to work okay, but the trackers were useless. The carer would put the tracker on her and she would immediately remove them. As far as I remember they needed charging every 24 hours, so someone would need to be available to do that too.

Maria001

Jun 23, 2019
My local authority supplied a tracker, sensor for the door and other useful devices for my Mum. I would contact your Dad’s LA and see what they can do for him before you start purchasing anything yourself.
Thanks I have approached them but they don't provide GPS tracking as yet.

Maria001

Jun 23, 2019
My LA also supplied (free) door sensors for my mother, they were attached to a Linkline service - so if she went out, it sent a signal to their call centre, and if necessary they would then ring whoever was the contact (you). That seemed to work okay, but the trackers were useless. The carer would put the tracker on her and she would immediately remove them. As far as I remember they needed charging every 24 hours, so someone would need to be available to do that too.
Thanks Sirena, LA doesn't provide this service. Have bought one now.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Let us know how you get on, I'm sure other members will be interested to know what works best.