Not sure who I am dealing with

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Maryjoan I feel for you but I just don't know what to say. I have read many of your posts and you give so much good advice which has helped me when my time with my Mum has been difficult. But I am 70 so have been with my Mum for all that time. Nine years is a drop in the ocean. Your partner is very lucky to have you and I hope that he can still realise that some of the time
Best wishes Susan
Oh thank you for those kind words, and I am pleased that somethings I have said have been of a little help to you. I also am 70 - he is almost 73, so we are on the road to nowhere......
I am looking forward to today though - my son from Scotland is down at the moment with his wife and baby and we are all meeting up for lunch - that is eldest son and wife, daughter, husband and 2 little people and then the Scottish contingent. We only happen to be in the same place at the same time, very rarely, and it is the first time Scottish baby has been down to darkest Devon - he seems to be OK with it !!!!! Let's see how the day pans out, but in the meanwhile, I have to immerse myself in the neverending scrabble...........
Mums are little gems, no matter what dementia - mine was as sharp as a diamond at 91, but she could make equally cutting remarks !! Bless her. She's gone now, but never lets go.....

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Oh thank you for those kind words, and I am pleased that somethings I have said have been of a little help to you. I also am 70 - he is almost 73, so we are on the road to nowhere......
I am looking forward to today though - my son from Scotland is down at the moment with his wife and baby and we are all meeting up for lunch - that is eldest son and wife, daughter, husband and 2 little people and then the Scottish contingent. We only happen to be in the same place at the same time, very rarely, and it is the first time Scottish baby has been down to darkest Devon - he seems to be OK with it !!!!! Let's see how the day pans out, but in the meanwhile, I have to immerse myself in the neverending scrabble...........
Mums are little gems, no matter what dementia - mine was as sharp as a diamond at 91, but she could make equally cutting remarks !! Bless her. She's gone now, but never lets go.....

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
What a great day you have planned. Enjoy every minute. I have a new grandson. He's nearly a month old and delightful. I have the extreme of emotions. Absolute delight at my new grandson and such sadness that life for my Mum has become so difficult.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I met a guy - less than 9 years ago - very tall, good looking, polite, caring, very middle class in his ways, erudite, generous and always well dressed - not fashionable as such, but very well turned out. And clean in his ways, clean shaven, clean - as in just clean.

This morning, I took the same guy his breakfast in bed, as he likes on Sat and Sun. There he was, with his scruffy white beard, and hair, slumped against the headboard, naked - with his cap on, tilted rakishly over one eye, and a bright pink, hand shaped fly swatter , that he carries everywhere,as he flustered about trying to swat a fly that would not stay still. This guy has not had a shower in a week, and his room stinks of unwashed person and unwashed clothes.

What happened?

Dementia Happened, that's what
Oh my word @maryjoan , this post of yours should be used by the dementia people when trying to spread the word about dementia, and trying to raise money for research. It would clearly let the people without knowledge of dementia know the truth. So much advertising is put on purely the loss of memory, which as we all know is only part of it.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Oh my word @maryjoan , this post of yours should be used by the dementia people when trying to spread the word about dementia, and trying to raise money for research. It would clearly let the people without knowledge of dementia know the truth. So much advertising is put on purely the loss of memory, which as we all know is only part of it.
I know, I hate the sanitised version of dementia that is out there....... just a bit forgetful.....
I am writing a diary for the Devonshire magazine which is a digital magazine, the summer issue is just out.