Help

betty2076

Feb 21, 2018
South Shields
My dad has alzheimers with vascular dementia hes 85. Mum is his carer with support from me and my sister shes 78 with a recently healed broken leg. Things are not good at the moment and dad has dipped. He has no short term memory. I feel we are coping ok, he is incontient but we are dealing with that too. Its the constant moving about 'he has to be busy doing jobs'. yesterday one of the jobs was painting the neighbours wall with gloss paint !! I had to use paint stripper to get it off. He breaks things and floods things . Its like he has ADHD. I have asked mum to take things away paintbrushes etc . She just wont do it. I am at my wits end here . Is there medication to clam him down he seems in a manic state all the time

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
It certainly sounds like a visit to the GP is warranted, not least in case something like an infection has caused the sudden deterioration.

It may also be an idea to get a needs assessment done. I’ll post a link to a Society Factsheet about that in a minute.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland

betty2076

Feb 21, 2018
South Shields
It certainly sounds like a visit to the GP is warranted, not least in case something like an infection has caused the sudden deterioration.

It may also be an idea to get a needs assessment done. I’ll post a link to a Society Factsheet about that in a minute.
Thank you he was tested last week for infections etc nothing to report

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
At least that's out of the equation. Maybe a meds review to see if anything needs to be added or changed would help - that's one of the things I'm trying to get for my wife at the moment as she needs to be more settled at night.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
These behavioural issues are usually beyond the remit of GPs. Check (Google) Community Mental Health Team for your area and find out if you can self-refer or if you need a GP referral. Ours you can just call and request a visit. Explain it's for severe behavioural problems.

Hopefully, they'll help you find an appropriate solution although be prepared for trial and error. Best of luck.