Clearing Mum's home

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I'm clearing Mums house this week. Not easy...so many memories..family home for 60 years. Feeling sad tonight.

I know. It's really hard and emotional . All I can advise is to keep anything that really pulls at your heartstrings ..... I kept some LPs, some glasses, lots of old photos and a somethings my Dad made. Lots went to the Salvation Army. I refuse to put their things in a skip for public view so I'm going to arrange a House Removal company to clear the rest. Did you live in the house yourself?

Jintyf

Jun 14, 2013
I know. It's really hard and emotional . All I can advise is to keep anything that really pulls at your heartstrings ..... I kept some LPs, some glasses, lots of old photos and a somethings my Dad made. Lots went to the Salvation Army. I refuse to put their things in a skip for public view so I'm going to arrange a House Removal company to clear the rest. Did you live in the house yourself?
Yes Susan... It's the house I grew up in. We were the first and only family in 60 years ago. So many memories. I'm trying hard to think of it as just a building but it is really much more than that to me. Hurts to know I'll never look out onto the lovely back garden again.

Cocoloco

Dec 29, 2018
Hi all we are in the process of clearing mums house now ,dad died 4 years ago and mum went into a care home in February this year. They had lived in this house for 62 years , my brother was born there. I think my mum has kept everything,she wouldn't let me clear any of dads things after he died so that was my first job. After I had finished that and took clothes to the ch for mum along with family pictures etc I come to a full stop for several weeks. We have now picked up the pace again,at the insistence of my brother, work has now continued. I am finding it very difficult and I am not sure why but mum has just started saying she wants to go home after not mentioning it for weeks and weeks. This is making me feel more

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Yes Susan... It's the house I grew up in. We were the first and only family in 60 years ago. So many memories. I'm trying hard to think of it as just a building but it is really much more than that to me. Hurts to know I'll never look out onto the lovely back garden again.

That makes it very difficult indeed. I've never lived in this house so it doesn't have that extra attachment for me. I hope it all goes well for you and you'll always have your memories.
I'm finding it upsetting seeing all these reminders for Fathers' day, it's my first year without Dad and I keep thinking ..I must go and buy a card !

Jintyf

Jun 14, 2013
So, bit of a drawback last week. Having prepared and cleared the house for handover of Fri 14th, was called on Wed by the solicitor to inform me that our buyers sales of their flat had fallen through so house sale has been delayed. It just outs back the trauma of being in the house for the last time but to be honest its the least of my issues right now as Mum is not settled at all. Constantly asking to go home and that she doesn't like it where she is.
She is missing her friends ....none of whom can visit really as they are all infirm and have their own issues....so sad.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
So, bit of a drawback last week. Having prepared and cleared the house for handover of Fri 14th, was called on Wed by the solicitor to inform me that our buyers sales of their flat had fallen through so house sale has been delayed. It just outs back the trauma of being in the house for the last time but to be honest its the least of my issues right now as Mum is not settled at all. Constantly asking to go home and that she doesn't like it where she is.
She is missing her friends ....none of whom can visit really as they are all infirm and have their own issues....so sad.

What a shame their sale has fallen through. It might be worth putting your house back on the market in case someone else might be interested
It is such a shame that your Mum has not settled yet. I'm sure she will do soon. My Mum is 94 and has outlived her friends and brothers and sisters in law. Luckily she has made some new friends in the CH. Three of them and Mum spent half an hour yesterday looking at Mum's old photos. I find it helpful to spend time talking to other other residents relatives when I visit as they talk to Mum a bit when I'm not there . Is it possible for your Mum to get to know anyone a bit better.

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27