fractured humerous making confusion worse

Jennywren72

Jun 18, 2019
Hi, this is my first post, I Have been the main carer for Mum who has mixed dementia, both vascular and fronto temporal lobe, for six years since her diagnosis, I have 4 siblings who occasionally help out but as I live closest most care falls to me, whilst I was away over the weekend Mum had another fall( which is now a frequent thing) and my brother decided to bring her home from hospital, However her confusion is way worse, doesn't even realise she has a broken arm and keeps taking the sling off. Am I right in thinking falls can make dementia accelerate ?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Jennywren72. Welcome to Talking Point.

Am I right in thinking falls can make dementia accelerate ?

I`m not sure about this but do know anything out of the ordinary and infections can cause increased confusion.

My husband broke his arm following a fall and he too kept taking his arm out of the sling. When I reported it to the doctor I was told not to worry and was also told too long in a sling could result in a frozen shoulder.

Don`t take my word for it though. Please see your mothers doctor if you are worried.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I think it's entirely 'normal' for someone with dementia to be unaware of an injury and remove something like a sling. To them it is foreign item and they have no idea why it's there. My mother fell and broke her hip last year and had a hip replacement, she spent ten days in hospital. They gave her pain relief through a drip the first few days - at least, they tried to. She repeatedly pulled it out so they had to give up on that.

My mother was additionally confused for a couple of weeks after her fall/operation, but within a month was back to her 'normal'.

I don't think there is any way you will stop the sling removal other than constant repetition. I know mother would forget why it was there within seconds.

Jennywren72

Jun 18, 2019
Grannie G & Sirena,
thank you both for your reply, we have been given conflicting advice from fracture clinic and doctor so will just have to carry on doing our best and see how it goes