Council Tax relief

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
I just feel so frustrated at things today. Had a call from my local council, we can’t get council tax relief as there are 3 of us in the property. Myself mum and dad who has Alzheimer’s. My parents live with me in my property and I really feel like this is going to be an issue going forward that we are never going to get any help at all financially or care wise because there are 2 of us with dad even though I work full time and mum is still working part time as not at retirement age. By doing the right thing and having them live with me I’m going to get punished. And to make it more frustrating I can’t get a larger bin with my council because only 3 people in the household. Seems to work out quite well for them. I have raised a complaint but I know it will come to nothing. Just feel down today as I do everything right and live life right and feel like we are being punished, and I worry for the future. He only has mild Alzheimer’s right now but I doubt we will get any help now when we will need it ☹️

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Your dad should be exempt due to severe mental impairment. There's a form that the GP needs to sign, and your Dad needs to be in receipt of AA or equivalent. Then as his carer but not spouse you should be exempt too, leaving your Mum as the only eligible adult, which should trigger a single persons discount of 25%.

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
Right I think I get what you are saying, so go down the single persons discount. What does AA mean though? Sorry. I’m going to re contact the council regarding this then. Once again being helped on here instead of by the actual services. Thank you so much

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Your dad should be exempt due to severe mental impairment. There's a form that the GP needs to sign, and your Dad needs to be in receipt of AA or equivalent. Then as his carer but not spouse you should be exempt too, leaving your Mum as the only eligible adult, which should trigger a single persons discount of 25%.
I don't know, but I thought the liability for CT was with the "liable person" and that is normally the house owner/householder and as Rach owns the house I don't see how you could make her mother the liable person in a house owner by Rach not her mother, but it's a fair point and an angle you could look into.
As for whether the CT situation is fair or not is a different matter, if the parents live elsewhere then Rach would get her 25% discount but her mum would still have to pay 75% of her CT so as a family they'd be worse off.
Anyone who lives alone then brings an elderly relative to live with them loses the 25% discount unless that person has an SMI, so the liability for 100% CT applies to anyone who cares for someone saving the state millions not just where AZ is involved.
Given that the mum is still working (part time) so earning a wage I don't see why she can't pay her 25% of the CT bill, what's 25% of a CT bill, round here about £7 per week if she wasn't working then maybe that's different but it's hard to argue that anyone working shouldn't be expected to pat their way.
Sorry if I sound less than sympathetic but the rules are the same for everyone two adults in a house and you pay full CT.
K

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
I don't know, but I thought the liability for CT was with the "liable person" and that is normally the house owner/householder and as Rach owns the house I don't see how you could make her mother the liable person in a house owner by Rach not her mother, but it's a fair point and an angle you could look into.
As for whether the CT situation is fair or not is a different matter, if the parents live elsewhere then Rach would get her 25% discount but her mum would still have to pay 75% of her CT so as a family they'd be worse off.
Anyone who lives alone then brings an elderly relative to live with them loses the 25% discount unless that person has an SMI, so the liability for 100% CT applies to anyone who cares for someone saving the state millions not just where AZ is involved.
Given that the mum is still working (part time) so earning a wage I don't see why she can't pay her 25% of the CT bill, what's 25% of a CT bill, round here about £7 per week if she wasn't working then maybe that's different but it's hard to argue that anyone working shouldn't be expected to pat their way.
Sorry if I sound less than sympathetic but the rules are the same for everyone two adults in a house and you pay full CT.
K

Yeah just a shame that not everyone plays by the rules and the people that do never get any support. I’m not going to reply any further else this will turn into a full scale rant which isn’t why I posted, but essentially we would be better off getting signed off sick from work and claiming benefits that way. But trying to still work and care for my father isn’t good enough in the states eye. Pay all my taxes all my life, as both my parents did and get jack back. Sorry I have to go

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
AA is Attendance Allowance, and I must admit I do not know about a "liable person". Our Council Tax bill was always addressed to the both of us and I don't recall one of us being more important than the other in terms of liability.

allchange

Nov 29, 2015
Gateshead have the following excellent link.
https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/2653/Discount-disregard
See the sections on SMI and unpaid carers.

I think that the liable person is a bit of a red herring here and is just the person legally liable for paying what the final council tax is after exemptions/discounts. This is usually the resident home owner(s) as they are the easiest to pursue, and if the worst comes to the worst, they have an asset that the Council can put a charge against for unpaid council tax.

Last edited:

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
Gateshead have the following excellent link.
https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/2653/Discount-disregard
See the sections on SMI and unpaid carers.

I think that the liable person is a bit of a red herring here and is just the person legally liable for paying what the final council tax is after exemptions/discounts. This is usually the resident home owner(s) as they are the easiest to pursue, and if the worst comes to the worst, they have an asset that the Council can put a charge against for unpaid council tax.
Thank you for the link I’ll look into it further, I’m doubtful I’ll get anything, my other big concern is going forward when things get bad, right now he is only mild, what help we will get. I know I’m worrying ahead but this has been a bit of a reality check

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbH