Another fine summer of sport

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It may not seem like it with all the recent rain but another fine summer of sport watching is in prospect. Even non-cyclists will have heard about Chris Froome’s accident which means he will be out of the Tour de France and probably the Vuelta a Espana too. It is bad news for him but might make for some more exciting racing. Our summer viewing used to always be Wimbledon tennis followed by the Tour de France (there is usually an overlap in the last/first week). It was a mark of how much my wife had lost interest in and ability to follow things that we hardly watched Wimbledon last year. This year for the first time that I can remember I'll be watching it alone ...

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Over this side of the pond, Toronto Raptors (basketball) won their first ever championship. The fans are more than a little delirious with joy. Finally, Toronto has a winning sports team. The Maple Leafs (hockey - we don't call it ice hockey, that's implied as far as Canadians are concerned. It's only other kinds of hockey that need to be qualified :)) haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1967. I may have lived in the Toronto area for the last 37 years, but I'm from Montreal and forever a Canadiens fan.

On to the summer - well it's baseball, which is one big yawn to me.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Bad accident for Froome right enough. My middle daughter and her son do the Pedal for Scotland every year - 50 miles from Glasgow to Edinburgh. The boy has been doing it since he was 7 or 8 and is now 14. They are also spending a week walking the West Highland Way at the end of this month. The Great Outdoors!

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
And England going well in the cricket World Cup, hopefully rain won’t keep affecting it!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I walked the section of the west highland way Ardlui and Tyndrum in about 1990 or 91. One day I'll do the rest. I hope the weather holds up for your daughter and grandson, Marion. My partner can't wathc the women's football though, so that was out. Enjoy the tour di france, Northumbrian_k even if it's not quite the same.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm sorry you are watching it alone.

Currently watching dauphiné. Tricky descent at the end today. Women's Tob up next on itv 4.

Alaphilippe was lucky to get the win.

I like tennis but OH doesn't. When I had son single room and TV for first week of Wimbledon was very pleasant.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
It may not seem like it with all the recent rain but another fine summer of sport watching is in prospect. Even non-cyclists will have heard about Chris Froome’s accident which means he will be out of the Tour de France and probably the Vuelta a Espana too. It is bad news for him but might make for some more exciting racing. Our summer viewing used to always be Wimbledon tennis followed by the Tour de France (there is usually an overlap in the last/first week). It was a mark of how much my wife had lost interest in and ability to follow things that we hardly watched Wimbledon last year. This year for the first time that I can remember I'll be watching it alone ...
You will enjoy the Tour de France, I am sure. My son and his wife are going to France for it. He has a bike shop down here, and, like you, a keen cyclist.
We have to take these little bits of enjoyment when we can don't we? I have booked myself a few days away in Scotland and my OH's daughter is stepping up to stay here with him - this is a huge step forward, as she previously was very disinterested.
Just heard on the news that Chris Froome has also broken bones in his neck - such a pity - a great sportsman, and it will be a long journey back for him.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Over this side of the pond, Toronto Raptors (basketball) won their first ever championship. The fans are more than a little delirious with joy. Finally, Toronto has a winning sports team. The Maple Leafs (hockey - we don't call it ice hockey, that's implied as far as Canadians are concerned. It's only other kinds of hockey that need to be qualified :)) haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1967. I may have lived in the Toronto area for the last 37 years, but I'm from Montreal and forever a Canadiens fan.

On to the summer - well it's baseball, which is one big yawn to me.
My grandson plays ice hockey (is there any other kind? :)) and one year played on the England team. As far as my husband (PWD) is concerned grandson still does play for England.
But overall my husband has lost any interest in sport of any kind.

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
Similar thing with my dad @jenniferjean he has lost all interest in sport, only formula 1 just about holds his interest now. Sadly he is losing that too

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My grandson plays ice hockey (is there any other kind? :)) and one year played on the England team. As far as my husband (PWD) is concerned grandson still does play for England.
But overall my husband has lost any interest in sport of any kind.
That is the saddest thing. My husband would be so thrilled to see how active his grandchildren are but even when I show him photos or newspaper reports it passes over his head. I showed him an item from my daughters local paper with her two sons at the top of their respective age groups as highest scorers in football. John asked me “Am I on that list?” Sadly he wasn’t joking - he just doesn’t have a clue.