Plastic pants

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When my husband began having frequent urine mishaps during the night I bought plastic pants from Age Uk to put over his pads and net pants. I usually get him up to the toilet around midnight but in the next gap between then and morning the bed gets wet. I use Kylie sheets to protect the bed but he is soaked. Whether the pants are leaking or he is taking himself out of them I don't know. Sometimes the pads are dry or dryish yet the bed is still wet.

How do others deal with this and do you recommend using plastic pants or should I just abandon them.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I never used plastic pants with my husband but eventually used the kind of continue product that wrapped round and fastened with Velcro. I used kylies too. Most mornings the bed was still wet and he was soaked. I never managed to get to grips with it all. I had an ongoing battle/discussion with the continence service. They thought I wasn't putting them on correctly and even got an advisor from Tena to visit the house. She agreed I was fitting them properly. It seemed to be the amount if urine he produced overnight.

Sorry. That's if no help at all. It just sparked memories.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I had something similar, since being poorly my OH wees much more at night than during day. Before the incontinnance service became involved I was buying ever increasing absorbancy pads each month. Even the Tena from the IS didn't resolve the problem, at least 4 nights of the week he would be soaked.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wonder if there`s something in common with the elderly passing more urine during the night than the day.

My 85 year old friend says she can go all day without passing urine but is up several times during the night.

I had no experience of this. Dhiren was still continent when he went into residential care and when he did lose continence, the care home never commented.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Sorry slip of the finger. I need to find some kind of solution but I'm out of ideas. John tells me he is unaware of peeing in bed. But then he's unaware of just about everything!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband was on medication to try to reduce how much hound he passed but I'm not sure it made a lot of difference.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Just had a visit from one of the carers. I explained that he was showered and dressed because he had been so wet when I looked in on him earlier. She tells me she has several packs of the Velcro nappy type of pad left by a client who passed away. She will leave me one of these packs to try so will keep you posted if that works. One tip she gave me was to put the pad on backwards to prevent him undoing it so will try that.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
The bladder and bowel service have sent the pull up pants which are a bit like nappies, most absorbent they have, for C and those work most nights.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I wonder if there`s something in common with the elderly passing more urine during the night than the day.
It doesnt seem to be just the elderly.
I have to catheterise my 63 yr old husband, so i am aware of how much urine he is producing. I catheterise him last thing at night, just before he goes to bed at 10.30pm and there is usually about 400ml in his bladder, then I have to do it again when he wakes up and is trying to pass urine (without success), usually about 2.00am, and there is usually about 600ml, then I catheterise him on waking in the morning and there is usually about 800ml.

This producing more urine at night only seems to have come on in the past couple of years.

Sorry, Ive hijacked your thread, but I do think that the sheer amount of urine at night can cause no end of problems.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Thanks all. The carer was as good as her word and brought anew pack of super absorbent nappy types at 10.30 am en route to another client. Fingers crossed.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Sometimes the pads are dry or dryish yet the bed is still wet.

Could this be down to male anatomy + sleeping position + gravity? If the urine is reaching the bed but bypassing the pad, is it dribbling slowly down his leg and straight out of a gap round his leg, if you see what I mean?! Or something similar... If he sleeps on his side that could happen as most of the padding seems to be back and front...

Just a thought. Doesn't solve your problem - sorry.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I think it is shooting upwards as he is often soaking up to his collar! The pad should prevent this but he may be taking his bits out of the pants without being aware of it.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think it is shooting upwards as he is often soaking up to his collar! The pad should prevent this but he may be taking his bits out of the pants without being aware of it.
Ive never used them, but people have talked about onesies that do up down the back so that they cant get to their pads or "bits". Might this be a night-time solution?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I will no doubt work towards that @canary as I try and fail with everything else. I have one of these nappy things out just now and am thinking the first test will be to put it on correctly.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
New development. I phoned the incontinence nurse yesterday who ruled out plastic pants as a bad idea. As they have not worked I am going along with that. She also didn't like the nappy type as she thought the Velcro could damage fragile skin. She is sending me samples of a higher absorbency pad to try. So...... Last night no plastic pants, went ahead with the nappy type brought by the carer. John up at 12 and then again at 6 am...... Guess what? Bone dry!

I will continue with the nappy type and also try the pads the IN sends and see which is better.

Sitting downstairs at 6.25 am having a coffee and glad not be surrounded by soaking wet clothes.