Everything you wanted to know about Donald Trump's designs on the NHS but were afraid to ask

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thank you, I have passed it on. I remember what it was like before the NHS.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
We had colleagues who were thrilled to join Bupa when it started in UK. They never claimed, however when they reached a certain age the premiums increases so much it was unaffordable. They were angry that they had Paid in so much.
A fair society spreads the load and pools the risks, and none can foresee the future health needs.
I remember the NHS coming in and the relief it brought.
The way it is been changed is insidious, so not really noticed by the public.
I have just had a cancer treatment, it will be ongoing, I, naturally, agreed that a video could be used, my consultant said they need everything to to ensure funding. I feel doctors need to heal and not get buried in paperwork.
Thank you again for posting.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thank you, I have passed it on. I remember what it was like before the NHS.

My mum as little girl was hit by a car towards the end of WWII. She was very lucky that her parents could afford to pay her medical fees at the time. Many families weren't so fortunate. My gran (mum's mother) I remember told me how everyone welcomed the new NHS and how much of a difference it made.

My mums uncle wrote my mum a letter while he was serving in Bonn, Germany towards the end of the war, I still have it

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
We had colleagues who were thrilled to join Bupa when it started in UK. They never claimed, however when they reached a certain age the premiums increases so much it was unaffordable. They were angry that they had Paid in so much.
A fair society spreads the load and pools the risks, and none can foresee the future health needs.
I remember the NHS coming in and the relief it brought.
The way it is been changed is insidious, so not really noticed by the public.
I have just had a cancer treatment, it will be ongoing, I, naturally, agreed that a video could be used, my consultant said they need everything to to ensure funding. I feel doctors need to heal and not get buried in paperwork.
Thank you again for posting.

I did think if there was nay point in commenting. However, after over 25 years in the NHS I can tell you that when things go wrong privately -very wrong those private patients end up in NHS care, because most private hospitals don't have acute facilities or expertise to cope with acute care. My dad paid into private care for many years, when he needed healthcare he ended up turning to the NHS.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
A friend, single with no family chose a private hospital for her hip operation. When we visited our very intelligent friend was talking nonsense. I called a nurse who told me old people get like that. I insisted something was wrong. She was immediately sent to the NHS hospital, her blood sugar was stabilised.
Although she had booked and paid for a two week stay they refused to take her back. She went into a private nursing home and another friend fought to get her reimbursed. If she had not had friends what would have happened?
I remember the relief when the Welfare State came into being, dental treatment meant that toothless grins were replaced by identical shining white ones. By that time I had acquired home nursing skills! No going to a doctor unless really dire.