Mum can't live on her own.

SueKB

Jun 4, 2019
After a 3 month spell in hospital my mum has been put on medication for Alzheimer's although she hasn't had a formal diagnosis. While she was in hospital she was very confused and kept wandering. The hospital said she couldn't live on her own so she moved into a residential care home on their advice. She isn't happy and wants to move back home. She says she is lonely and bored but she won't mix with anyone at the home although she likes the staff and they like her. Social services have recently been in contact with her and after talking to her for 30 minutes have deemed she is ok to live in her own home, with the support packages if they deem them necessary, despite my brother and I voicing our concerns on several occasions. I am trying to find out as much as I can so that I know how to make sure my mum is safe and has the best care. We don't feel mum will be safe living on her own and feel Social Services are ignoring us. Can they put mum back in her own home against our wishes? What can we do about this? They keep mentioning deprivation of liberty and feel she is aware enough to decide she wants to go back home.

Stripey3

May 29, 2019
Hi Sue,
I have been in your position and it’s a nightmare.
My Dad was in hospital for 6 weeks and they were going to release him home with a ‘care package’
Which was inadequate for his needs and was going to put him at risk. I challenged their decision and went into battle with them to get him the care he needed. I also informed the hospital that he would not be discharged until a suitable care package was put in place. This did prolong his hospital stay by a week but to cut a long story short, they eventually agreed her need 24 hr care and was released to a care home.

One thing I learnt is that different Councils have different policies and the one in my area has a policy of ‘home care first.’ Basically they put together a care package in order to release them from hospital then review 6 weeks later to assess whether it needs changing. There policy is not to place directly into a care home. It’s all to do with money sadly.

Anyway SS have a duty of care to your Mum and should not place her in a position where she is at risk or danger. if you feel the proposed care package is not suitable for her needs then you will have to argue her case.
Sorry it’s not more positive but you are battling against a system that is not fit for purpose due to lack of resources and finances.

Happy to help in anyway if I can x

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
After a 3 month spell in hospital my mum has been put on medication for Alzheimer's although she hasn't had a formal diagnosis. While she was in hospital she was very confused and kept wandering. The hospital said she couldn't live on her own so she moved into a residential care home on their advice. She isn't happy and wants to move back home. She says she is lonely and bored but she won't mix with anyone at the home although she likes the staff and they like her. Social services have recently been in contact with her and after talking to her for 30 minutes have deemed she is ok to live in her own home, with the support packages if they deem them necessary, despite my brother and I voicing our concerns on several occasions. I am trying to find out as much as I can so that I know how to make sure my mum is safe and has the best care. We don't feel mum will be safe living on her own and feel Social Services are ignoring us. Can they put mum back in her own home against our wishes? What can we do about this? They keep mentioning deprivation of liberty and feel she is aware enough to decide she wants to go back home.
Please do not be daunted by talk of deprivation of liberty. A statement of best interests would be more important. Was this done at the hospital? The hospital felt she was not able to live on her own. Can you contact the person who said this? Was it the hospital social worker. Please stress that your mum is a vulnerable person and you and your brother do not think you can provide the degree of supervision she needs. Talking to your mum is not the same as watching how she copes through the day.
All good luck to you. Geraldine aka Kindred.