My husband's Dementia journey is over.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
At 10 p.m.on Sunday my darling husband finally found peace. After 11 years of suffering from this wicked disease, he passed quietly and peacefully. But it was also unexpected and I was not there. The carer that called an ambulance and then sat with David, said that he just went to sleep. The shock was terrible and I felt cheated because I wasn't there, but have to be happy that it was peaceful. As it was sudden and unexplained death we now have to wait to see what the Coroner says. And of course, it was a bank holiday yesterday so nothing has been done yet. I cannot believe that it is now over and I will not be visiting him in the nursing home anymore. I want to say thank you to everyone on here that have supported me over the last 6 years. At times you saved my life and my sanity. I will come on here sometimes to see how you all are and hope things aren't too difficult for you all at the moment. My love to you all. Carol.xxxxxxx

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
My condolences - but also my congratulations - that might seem strange, but you have walked the journey alongside your husband, loved him and cared for him, so, yes, congratulations on a task well carried out with love.

Do not worry that you were not there.... sometimes these things happen to spare us. I know this in my own experience.

Do pop in to see how we all are - but carry yourself forward with pride, and remember the man you married rather than the one that this wicked, wicked disease left you with......

Good Luck in the days and years ahead.

xxx

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Bless you Carol. I know it will be hard for you especially as it was unexpected but he is now at peace. I hope things don't drag on for you.

Please accept my condolences. (((Hugs)))

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My condolences on your loss @Casbow. It's been a rollercoaster life for you both. I know you are struggling at not being there in the final moments - but you were there for so much more throughout the years - and that cannot be taken away or diminished. I am glad to know that the end was peaceful - it is the best we can hope for. Thinking of you at such a difficult time.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
sad news @Casbow
your husband is now at peace
and I hope you have some peace yourself
you saw him through and stood beside him in body and spirit throughout
be gentle with yourself now

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I am so sorry Casbow and that you weren't there however for your darling husband to slip into peaceful sleep was a kind way for him to reach end of life after his years of torment and distress both for him and you. I hope the next few days bring some comfort in knowing you did everything you could for him during his devastating illness and thinking of you.

Hallim

May 4, 2019
At 10 p.m.on Sunday my darling husband finally found peace. After 11 years of suffering from this wicked disease, he passed quietly and peacefully. But it was also unexpected and I was not there. The carer that called an ambulance and then sat with David, said that he just went to sleep. The shock was terrible and I felt cheated because I wasn't there, but have to be happy that it was peaceful. As it was sudden and unexplained death we now have to wait to see what the Coroner says. And of course, it was a bank holiday yesterday so nothing has been done yet. I cannot believe that it is now over and I will not be visiting him in the nursing home anymore. I want to say thank you to everyone on here that have supported me over the last 6 years. At times you saved my life and my sanity. I will come on here sometimes to see how you all are and hope things aren't too difficult for you all at the moment. My love to you all. Carol.xxxxxxx
Condolences to you. May God bless you.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Please accept my condolences.Take care of yourself,try to remember all the times you were there for your husband rather than dwell on the fact that you couldn't be there at the end.

MAMMYGRANNY

Jan 26, 2016
Casbow - I am so sorry for your loss - may your husband rest in peace now, free at last from this most dreadful illness. Please do not feel bad that you were not there when he passed away in his sleep - you were there with him all those years and cared for him so well. I wish you peace in the weeks and months ahead.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a shock it was to see your post when I came on line @Casbow /Carol.

I`m glad your husband died peacefully after such a traumatic progression of his dementia , even if it was so unexpected. I`m sorry you were not able to be with him . My husband`s death was expected and I wasn`t with him when he died either and this could have also been your experience too.

Please accept my sincere condolences.