The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My Dad had this problem with Warfarin but there is another drug available Xarelto which doesn't have the same problem with constant blood tests and changes in dosage. Ask the doctor if this would be suitable.
Hi Susan,

We have had this discussion with our GP and the cardiologist and have decided to stick with warfarin. With warfarin, the effects of the drug can be reversed by using VitaminK intravenously and this works pretty quickly. With the other drug, you just have to wait until the drug works its way out of the body. As my husband has a history of massive nosebleeds and an internal bleed, the Drs. feel that it's better to leave him on the warfarin.
It really is one thing I would love to change just to reduce the number of appointments we have. - he has five this week if you include the podiatrist!

Thank you for your kind suggestion.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Went to collect OH from 2 weeks respite yesterday. He seemed pleased (ish) to see me, so I put an arm round his shoulder and gave him a peck on the cheek. Loudly, for the benefit of the others in the lounge he said "That was very nice, but I must make you aware that I am a happily married man". I replied that I knew that as I was his happily married wife. He looked me up and down and said, "I'm sorry, but MY wife is a lot younger than you".
Very chuckle worthy! It really made me laugh :)

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
In my Mum's CH a resident was annoyed with another resident (usually a dispute over walking aids) and she made up a song that went "<name of resident> bloody bloody drop dead", sang at the top of her voice. Then when the nurse intervened to try and sort out whose frame was whose, the resident said "but I AM <residents name>" which reminded me so much of "I'm Spartacus" that I had to pretend to look at my phone to stop myself laughing.....

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Went to collect OH from 2 weeks respite yesterday. He seemed pleased (ish) to see me, so I put an arm round his shoulder and gave him a peck on the cheek. Loudly, for the benefit of the others in the lounge he said "That was very nice, but I must make you aware that I am a happily married man". I replied that I knew that as I was his happily married wife. He looked me up and down and said, "I'm sorry, but MY wife is a lot younger than you".

Bless him, at least he is faithful:)

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Lawson and Wife Not Carer,

Have you tried asking your PWDs to look in the mirror?

Dad's dental appointment went well and he decided against asking for his tooth back this time. However he broke his k E hearing aid and I had it repaired and it just so happened that his other hearing aid was ready so hopefully he will have two hearing aids for some time!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
H
In my Mum's CH a resident was annoyed with another resident (usually a dispute over walking aids) and she made up a song that went "<name of resident> bloody bloody drop dead", sang at the top of her voice. Then when the nurse intervened to try and sort out whose frame was whose, the resident said "but I AM <residents name>" which reminded me so much of "I'm Spartacus" that I had to pretend to look at my phone to stop myself laughing.....
Hilarious!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Autumn day. About 21 degrees outside and mostly sunny and quite pleasant.

I came in from the garden and OH is sitting in shorts and short sleeved shirt with the air conditioning going full bore.

I asked him why he had the air conditioning on and he said that it was so hot in the house. He looked quite confused when I pointed out that he had the heating on set at 30 degrees so of course it was hot! As to be expected, he NEVER put the heating on, did he!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Autumn day. About 21 degrees outside and mostly sunny and quite pleasant.

I came in from the garden and OH is sitting in shorts and short sleeved shirt with the air conditioning going full bore.

I asked him why he had the air conditioning on and he said that it was so hot in the house. He looked quite confused when I pointed out that he had the heating on set at 30 degrees so of course it was hot! As to be expected, he NEVER put the heating on, did he!

No! He never did! Dad used to wish that the people who came in the night would tidy up after themselves! I once said if we had intruders we should have got the police! I decided against this tactic soon after.

MaNaAk

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
No! He never did! Dad used to wish that the people who came in the night would tidy up after themselves! I once said if we had intruders we should have got the police! I decided against this tactic soon after.

MaNaAk

Sometimes when I get up in the morning to take the dog out for her walk, I often find a light left on, a cupboard door open so I know he has been up during the night.

When he first started getting up during the night, he would turn on all the lights, turn the TV on and seemed hellbent on waking me up. One night I got so grumpy I told him that if he couldn't sleep to stay in bed and get some rest. Now he sneaks around so quietly I don't hear him and have no idea of what he has been doing!

I guess this one is going to come back and bite me on the bum! And I am glad I haven't oiled the squeaky doors in and out of the house.

Hard Work

Sep 20, 2017
West yorkshire
Hi everyone
Just a short amusing incident but it shows my oh is still there sometimes.
We had a visit from a lady who is arranging some homecare my husband was sat in his usual spot in the conservatory and she tried engaging him in conversation but he wasn't having any of it. Eventually he pretended to fall asleep. As soon as said lady departed he opened his eyes and I said she has gone now you can stop pretending and he just grinned

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi everyone
Just a short amusing incident but it shows my oh is still there sometimes.
We had a visit from a lady who is arranging some homecare my husband was sat in his usual spot in the conservatory and she tried engaging him in conversation but he wasn't having any of it. Eventually he pretended to fall asleep. As soon as said lady departed he opened his eyes and I said she has gone now you can stop pretending and he just grinned

Hi! Hard Work!

It isn't funny how their mind works! Today I was repeating myself so much that I asked one of the carers to change dad's hearing aid batteries. She did this and came back and said that they (the technician in the audiology department at our local care centre) had put the battery in one hearing aid round the wrong way and it wasn't in properly. Oh well! Everyone makes mistakes!

I then went up to dad's room and found a hearing aid battery on his bedside table so big fingers has been fiddling with his hearing aids again! Also I didn't recognise the jumper he was wearing the other week.

MaNaAk

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Came to visit Mum today (48hrs after last visit). Post it note on the washing machine saying not to use it. I asked her what was wrong with it and she showed me some broken plastic. After 20 mins of looking I asked her if she knew where it had broken off from. She said she did not know but she found it in the garden. After a 30 min conversation I realised that it came off the rotary washing line. I asked Mum why she could not use the washing machine when it was the washing line that was broken. She said she could not be doing with wet washing strewn all over the house and having to move it from one radiator to another depending on how hot or cold they were as she did not have the time. Then promptly sat down in front of the t.v.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband has just been away for a weekend at a bridge congress in another town about two and a half hours' drive away.

He has been to these a few times before and really enjoys them. This time he was travelling with a gentleman (John?) he plays bridge with regularly and they stayed two nights at a motel.

I have always taken the view that as long as he was enjoying them and capable of doing it then I was happy for him to go.

HOWEVER! The said travelling companion is rather obese and I find him to be quite weird and if this weekend was anything to go on, it's the last time my husband will be going with him.

Somehow John got lost about an hour out on the trip and it took them six hours to get there. Of course my husband has no idea of just how they became lost or how they finally got to their destination. ????????

Then John hadn't taken any cash with him so OH had to lend John money for the congress, meals and drinks etc. When John went off to find a cash machine to repay the money he got lost again and spent an hour driving around a country town to find one.

But then my husband told me that because of his excessive weight, John couldn't get his underpants on by himself so my husband had to help him. The images that came to mind as he was telling me this - my frail husband trying to help a grossly overweight man with his undies - hilarious! Then my husband said he had to put John's shoes on for him too!

Coming home John said he was going to take the route he was familiar with and promptly got lost again.

Executive decision has been made! My husband won't be going away with John again and funnily enough, he seems to understand my point of view.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My husband has just been away for a weekend at a bridge congress in another town about two and a half hours' drive away.

He has been to these a few times before and really enjoys them. This time he was travelling with a gentleman (John?) he plays bridge with regularly and they stayed two nights at a motel.

I have always taken the view that as long as he was enjoying them and capable of doing it then I was happy for him to go.

HOWEVER! The said travelling companion is rather obese and I find him to be quite weird and if this weekend was anything to go on, it's the last time my husband will be going with him.

Somehow John got lost about an hour out on the trip and it took them six hours to get there. Of course my husband has no idea of just how they became lost or how they finally got to their destination. ????????

Then John hadn't taken any cash with him so OH had to lend John money for the congress, meals and drinks etc. When John went off to find a cash machine to repay the money he got lost again and spent an hour driving around a country town to find one.

But then my husband told me that because of his excessive weight, John couldn't get his underpants on by himself so my husband had to help him. The images that came to mind as he was telling me this - my frail husband trying to help a grossly overweight man with his undies - hilarious! Then my husband said he had to put John's shoes on for him too!

Coming home John said he was going to take the route he was familiar with and promptly got lost again.

Executive decision has been made! My husband won't be going away with John again and funnily enough, he seems to understand my point of view.

That made me chuckle

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Came to visit Mum today (48hrs after last visit). Post it note on the washing machine saying not to use it. I asked her what was wrong with it and she showed me some broken plastic. After 20 mins of looking I asked her if she knew where it had broken off from. She said she did not know but she found it in the garden. After a 30 min conversation I realised that it came off the rotary washing line. I asked Mum why she could not use the washing machine when it was the washing line that was broken. She said she could not be doing with wet washing strewn all over the house and having to move it from one radiator to another depending on how hot or cold they were as she did not have the time. Then promptly sat down in front of the t.v.

Quite admire her logic, she had a good point:)

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Apparently our neighbours are keeping a horse in their upstairs bedroom, mum is adamant that it was looking out of the window.

Alltalkandnocustard

Aug 29, 2018
Last year Mam and I were watching TV in the evening when Live at the Apollo came on. 'What's this' she asked. 'Standup comedy' I replied. With a disgruntled look she said 'Can't we watch something else where I can sit down'

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Some funny replies here! Yesterday dad and I went out for supper but I shouldn't think the taxi driver will forget us. When the taxi arrived I got dad out to the car but a little more confused because he had no hearing aids he tried to lie down on the back seat! I managed to sort of get him up and put the seat belt on. We did get to the cafe eventually. This was after retrieving his walking stick from resident M (please see Walking Sticks And Hearing Aids thread).

MaNaAk