Electric Razor

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
A purely practical query! OH has always wet shaved himself, which is a complicated process as he has a goatee beard and moustache. Recently, having cut his lip a couple of times he has lost the confidence and ability to shave himself and wants me to do it. I have tried but find it very difficult as the skin on his face is 'loose' and needs stretched to be shaved and I seem to hurt him whatever I try. Obvious answer is an electric shaver but I know nothing about them nor what type is suitable when there is a beard to contend with.

I have suggested that he just let it grow to a full beard which I would be happy to trim but he is having none of it. Can anyone recommend a simple electric shaver suitable for a novice barber?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have had great problems with shaving my husband too. I have bought two electric razors and am now back to wet shaving then using the electric for any bits I've missed. We have Turkish barbers in Glasgow who are really good and if you are stuck then how about a weekly visit to one of them. The cost would be worth it for peace of mind.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Wifenotcarer My dad has an electric shaver, it's a Phillips rechargeable Aquatouch. My brother got it for him and he likes it very much, so much that he will shave 2 or 3 times an evening.

I don't know that it would be suitable with a goatee and moustache though,

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I use a Philishave, I don't have a beard but feel getting a defined edge would every difficult.

If you Google goatee beard electric razor you will find several electric razors designed for beards and info about how to use them from both users and manufacturers.

Braun have a video on trimming goatees.
There are probably more from other manufactures.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
https://www.boots.com/philips-onebl...ULBSIuF4R2pmU8vUmH_pM2yh9TcNlORYaAmpzEALw_wcB

Try one of these, you use them like a wet shave but I have done The Banjoman dry without any problems.
I bought it because he prefers a wet shave but began missing swathes of whiskers. He had a couple of electric shavers but kept taking them apart and couldn’t ge5 them back together again!
Thanks for the info Banjoman'smate - Well, I have looked it up on line, ascertained that the Boots in the next town High Street had one in stock and been and bought it (with 30 % 0ff :)). Now all I have to do is get the packaging off!! charge it up and we will be ready to go. Wish me luck.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
OH has now been shaved and beard trimmed by me. It is not perfect but much better than the shaggy look he had before. I was annoyed that I did not have a power point for the 2 pin battery charger, until my Daughter on the phone reminded me that there was a shaver point on the light in the toilet. I had forgotten all about it. It has been there for 40 odd years and never been used - until now!

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
My OH is struggling to shave, he keeps buying new razors and saying they are no good. He has shaved today but his face has lots of cuts on it. I have suggested he go to the Turkish barbers but he just said no as he does to m0st things.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Why not just clean shave? Its simpler.

I'm late coming to this but...I know that a clean shave would be simpler but I think it's a matter of maintaining things as they always have been. I remember years ago a TP member husband's mustache and goatee were shaved off by the NH and she was extremely upset. I completely agreed with her. @Wifenotcarer has found something that works for her now. Things may change in a year or two but the focus is on today. I'm glad she's found something that works.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I remember that, Joanne. I said at the time if anyone shaved off OHs beard I’d have their guts for garters! ( local term for being very annoyed!) He had a short, but entire, beard all the years I knew him. I was pleased because I didn’t have to shave him when dementia came along.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
As an addition - I have bought one of those razors with a built in comb for giving my husband a haircut. I’m pretty bad at it but fortunately he doesn’t know how bad. I’m hoping it’s one of those skills you acquire through practice because at present he has a fairly patchy attempt which looks as if he is losing his hair in strange patterns across his head!