Dad’s behaviour off the scale

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018
Hello

How do you begin to explain this cruel illness and the impact our family ........ unless you are going through it yourself?

My dad was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia in July 18, and due to issues with his safety and security was sectioned in Dec-18. He is receiving exceptional care and treatment but has now been labelled “medication resistant” - just where he gets the strength from to compulsively walk and fight the system is incredible. However in the last ten days he has become very frail and his overall state has changed - he’s constantly agitated, driven and wild eyed. He is eating and drinking very little and no longer knows my mum or my sister and I. I can cope with this to some extent but not seeing him so unsettled, it’s heArt breaking. As he is so vulnerable he is assigned a carer 24hrs a day who monitors and oversees his every move. He is so exhausted but will not give in..... he spends his time moving furniture around, climbing on chairs or any surface, banging his arms against doors, windows etc in the vain hope that he can break free. His medication is under going review again and we can only hope there is a break through.

To see my strong dependable Dad in this state is unbelievable... I don’t have the vocabulary to describe my feelings or the impact this is having. As many of you ask -how long does or can this go on for?

Xx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don't have an answer to your question and just wish to express the hope that the meds review works for your dad and gives some relief to all of you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
how long does or can this go on for?

Unfortunately, it goes on until the correct treatment can be found, whether it`s medication or something else.

It really is heartbreaking for you to witness this @NIKNOK and I do hope your poor dad gets the treatment to help him before long.

Archibold

May 13, 2019
Unfortunately, it goes on until the correct treatment can be found, whether it`s medication or something else.

It really is heartbreaking for you to witness this @NIKNOK and I do hope your poor dad gets the treatment to help him before long.
Hello

How do you begin to explain this cruel illness and the impact our family ........ unless you are going through it yourself?

My dad was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia in July 18, and due to issues with his safety and security was sectioned in Dec-18. He is receiving exceptional care and treatment but has now been labelled “medication resistant” - just where he gets the strength from to compulsively walk and fight the system is incredible. However in the last ten days he has become very frail and his overall state has changed - he’s constantly agitated, driven and wild eyed. He is eating and drinking very little and no longer knows my mum or my sister and I. I can cope with this to some extent but not seeing him so unsettled, it’s heArt breaking. As he is so vulnerable he is assigned a carer 24hrs a day who monitors and oversees his every move. He is so exhausted but will not give in..... he spends his time moving furniture around, climbing on chairs or any surface, banging his arms against doors, windows etc in the vain hope that he can break free. His medication is under going review again and we can only hope there is a break through.

To see my strong dependable Dad in this state is unbelievable... I don’t have the vocabulary to describe my feelings or the impact this is having. As many of you ask -how long does or can this go on for?

Xx

Just a thought, has his physical health been checked? I see the rapid change in behaviour frequently and often it is caused by an infection and/or dellerium.

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018
Just a thought, has his physical health been checked? I see the rapid change in behaviour frequently and often it is caused by an infection and/or dellerium.
Thankyou for your thoughtful response .... he did have a full review on Saturday but need to follow up on his blood results. We visited this evening and its always so over whelming with various distressing scenarios that all sense goes out the window, it’s only when I get home do the sensible questions become apparent. The team are going to try covertly administering his medication as he’s not always taking it. I’ll also check on the test results. Thankyou for your reponse it’s v kind of you.

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018

Thankyou so much, it’s literally “one day at a time”, we have to stand by him and as hard as it is keep going and make sure he’s as comfortable as we can make him. The hard part is knowing that there is no cure or solution. Thank you for your response.

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018
I don't have an answer to your question and just wish to express the hope that the meds review works for your dad and gives some relief to all of you.
Thank you very much, we are saying lots of prayers and putting our faith in dad’s wonderful consultant. Keeping everything crossed for the next set of medication.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Have no wise words for you,but didn't want to read and run. I hope that new meds will help

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018
Fingers crossed for some kind of solution a.s.a.p.
Thankyou for your reply - medication has started to be administered covertly from today as he has been refusing to take it. Dad seemed slightly better and has eaten some dinner this evening. We now have an appointment with his consultant on Monday and we’ll take it from there. He continues to be on a 1:1 24x7 which offers us some assurance.

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
So sorry to hear all of this, my thoughts are with you all, we are going through similar with my Dad who is just 60, he has bad days and good days but sometimes refuses medication etc

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018
So sorry to hear all of this, my thoughts are with you all, we are going through similar with my Dad who is just 60, he has bad days and good days but sometimes refuses medication etc
Thankyou so much...... I’m so sorry to hear that your dad is so young how terribly sad for him and your family. I hope he is getting the care and support that he needs and that you are all looking after each other. My dad is 84 on Monday and has had a good life but it doesn’t make it any easier, I miss his personality and hearing his lovely Irish accent. I wish your dad some comfort and stability and Thankyou for your response x