Our demntia choir Vicky McClure

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Vicky was talking about this earlier on Radio 2, she sounds lovely and was quite knowledgeable about dementia.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Very emotional programme, they didnt hide from dementia being incurable and people forgetting they sang in the choir. The possibility of using the study of the singer's brainwaves and how they respond to music to understand the disease better was a positive.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I thought so too, some sad cases too but they were brave. The young couple were amazing.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I found it interesting too. Especially the science/ research. I’m hoping that something lasting came out of the BBC involvement. I suppose we will find that out after next programme.

Our choir for people with dementia and carers/friends has been going for over 5 years now. It’s the highlight of the week for all of us. We see ourselves as our ‘choir family’. Many members (including my husband) have passed away and some have gone into care over the 5 years. Those have been replaced by members newly diagnosed. Members who have most someone (like me) now come as volunteers and supporters and we go from strength to strength. We have a concert on 15th June and as always everyone will rise to the occasion.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I felt very emotional watching the programme.

I did. Mainly beacause I could see Bill in many of those taking part. It took me back of our times singing together. Also thinking of what is ahead for all those involved in the choir in the programme.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What was so amazing for me was how open they all were about dementia.

We were never able to discuss it. It was as if I was the only one who knew Dhiren had dementia. He knew something was wrong, he knew he was ill when he was well enough to understand he was ill, but there was never any open discussion or even acknowledgement dementia was the cause of our troubles.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Yes they were very open. I find a lot of our choir members will talk about their own diagnosis - those who can still communicate in that way. Some of the people in the choir programme were very young.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
There was a high percentage of younger people with dementia. I was expecting to see more elderly ones. I'm glad they chose a lot who were younger because I think that it adds emphasis to the fact that it is a disease and not just a normal part of ageing.

I found parts of it very upsetting. I really feel for those people. One lady has a daughter the same age as mine and her mum still healthy. I really found myself empathising with that family and the young family too.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
It looked lovely, but I just couldn't watch it. There was a similar documentary on Sky Arts about the country singer, Glenn Campbell, (he of "Rhinestone Cowboy") doing his last tour as he had dementia and they knew he wouldn't be able to perform again. Surrounded by his very supportive family band and fans, many of whom knew his diagnosis, cheering him on. So emotional. I cried and cried. I can only watch this sometimes as I have to keep the feelings at bay.
Probably not very healthy, but you have to keep calm and carry on.....

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
It has had brilliant reviews but like Helly I am not sure if I can watch it.

TEUP

Sep 27, 2017
I found the programme very moving and upsetting . My mother is end stage . This is a stage that not many people see on TV , in fact I have never seen it , maybe because it is to harrowing ? Mum has had vascular dementia for over 5 years maybe longer when we look back at things ? She is bed bound now and doesn't know us,
I'm glad its being talked about more

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I found the programme very moving and upsetting . My mother is end stage . This is a stage that not many people see on TV , in fact I have never seen it , maybe because it is to harrowing ? Mum has had vascular dementia for over 5 years maybe longer when we look back at things ? She is bed bound now and doesn't know us,

Welcome to TP @TEUP.

I’ve recorded it to watch when I feel strong enough.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Lots of dementia in the news.

The dementia choir was a very moving programme with everyone in host/hostess mode. Only we would know the effort that had gone into getting the PWD up and ready to face the day.

The upsetting part for me was when the choir sang on stage for the first time. The PWDs looked carefree and happy then it panned round to carers/supporters who looked - well - how I feel most of the time, weepy and exhausted.

Vicky MClure was a wonderful presenter and brought out the best in everyone. However, I do have reservations about this type of publicity for dementia because it does not tell the whole story. I will now have people telling me all I need to do is take OH to a choir. Quite a few years ago after another programme, people said I needed to put a curtain over the front door (leaving the house never been a problem here).

The boating programme with Pru and Tim also paints a rose coloured image. Afraid I sit there looking for the places where they have cut the film and had her do a voice over to make everything appear serene. Not that she needs a script - wonderful memory for Shakespeare etc.

Barbara Windor's husband and the Eastenders team did well in the marathon but he had to explain that she would not have been able to cope with being at the finish line. He does so well acknowledging her illness but not going into too much detail. He keeps the image alive - as we all try to do.

Have rambled on a bit there - apologies - but I am looking forward to the next programme.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
I watched it this on Thursday night and on a whole it was an enlightening programme and look forward to the next episode..
I was touched by the plight of the young couple where the ex-drummer husband has dementia and was wondering if his former profession had anything to do with it.
But most of all it was nice to see those who took part appear to get something out of it. It would be interesting to find out if the choir members and their families/carers regularly get to meet others with dementia as I felt this linking with others in the same position as themselves was half of that enjoyment - like I get from reading/contributing to TP.

Now, that said, I was slightly disappointed by one point that's sort-of mentioned in these posts:

I found the programme very moving and upsetting . My mother is end stage .This is a stage that not many people see on TV , in fact I have never seen it , maybe because it is to harrowing ? Mum has had vascular dementia for over 5 years maybe longer when we look back at things ? She is bed bound now and doesn't know us,
Lots of dementia in the news.

The dementia choir was a very moving programme with everyone in host/hostess mode. Only we would know the effort that had gone into getting the PWD up and ready to face the day.

The upsetting part for me was when the choir sang on stage for the first time. The PWDs looked carefree and happy then it panned round to carers/supporters who looked - well - how I feel most of the time, weepy and exhausted.

Vicky MClure was a wonderful presenter and brought out the best in everyone. However, I do have reservations about this type of publicity for dementia because it does not tell the whole story. I will now have people telling me all I need to do is take OH to a choir. Quite a few years ago after another programme, people said I needed to put a curtain over the front door (leaving the house never been a problem here).

The boating programme with Pru and Tim also paints a rose coloured image. Afraid I sit there looking for the places where they have cut the film and had her do a voice over to make everything appear serene. Not that she needs a script - wonderful memory for Shakespeare etc.

Barbara Windor's husband and the Eastenders team did well in the marathon but he had to explain that she would not have been able to cope with being at the finish line. He does so well acknowledging her illness but not going into too much detail. He keeps the image alive - as we all try to do.

Have rambled on a bit there - apologies - but I am looking forward to the next programme.

I think I heard the presenter Vicky had asked for people of all stages of dementia to join the choir and what I mostly saw was people who seem to be at the earliest stages where forgetfulness and bad moods seem to be the only or main traits of the illness - like my dad about 4-5 years ago. I couldn't help feel that viewers without personal experience may think that's all dementia is about. I had hoped to see choir members attempting to wander off, sudden mood changes or hear tales of toilet or mobility issues. But I may be asking too much from just one episode..

And as rhubardtree predicted, I already have had two people telling me about getting my dad into music/a choir and one of them was from abroad!!

captainscarlet

Feb 4, 2016
coventry
Coventrys choir/singing for the brain lost another member this week .My mothers visits were the highlight of the week , singing songs from way back when. Wearing a badge of happiness and security, with her new family. A family that continues to grow and grow , so much so we believe that we have the largest group in the uk. We are incredibly fortunate to have the singer/actor Dave willetts , star of many west end productions. Just as important for my mother having a new sense of belonging , are the wonderful friendships that carers get from sharing their stories and snippets of advice. These last beyond the words of the songs. The songs sung will echo forever in the hearts and minds of the carers and their families and just for that moment the darkness is lifted and light pours onto the traveller taking the dementia journey.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Coventrys choir/singing for the brain lost another member this week .My mothers visits were the highlight of the week , singing songs from way back when. Wearing a badge of happiness and security, with her new family. A family that continues to grow and grow , so much so we believe that we have the largest group in the uk. We are incredibly fortunate to have the singer/actor Dave willetts , star of many west end productions. Just as important for my mother having a new sense of belonging , are the wonderful friendships that carers get from sharing their stories and snippets of advice. These last beyond the words of the songs. The songs sung will echo forever in the hearts and minds of the carers and their families and just for that moment the darkness is lifted and light pours onto the traveller taking the dementia journey.

How wonderful. Your experience echoes mine. My husband sang in our choir until the week before he died. He no longer communicated in speech but he still sang the songs at choir. Sometimes a tear would fall when he was singing. Such an emotional e oeruence. How marvellous that you have your actor supporting you. Our choir has diminished this year due to people either going into care or passing away. We're on a recruitment drive now. The fellowship within our choir family is beyond price. Wishing you and your choir family continued success.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Fantastic experiences for both of you @captainscarlet and @Izzy.

I know how much music means to me and meant to my husband so really can appreciate your gratitude for these singing groups.