Goodbye Mum

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
So all appears to be going well apart from the fact that the executor has not received the large amount of money from my mum’s Lloyd’s account as yet & another account in his account yet & we are well over the 7 days which is a worry so I have asked him to chase it up tomorrow.

I have asked him to get in touch with the estate agent & vice versa to give his official permission for the house to be put on the market as that is one of his jobs as executor. He has looked at the scanned probate forms I emailed him & he hopes to fill them in soon. I told him that he does need to get on with it ASAP!

I need to get packing now as I am off to Scotland for 2 nights working on one of my fiancé’s tours & selling my own merchandise so I have extra goodies packed into the merch box so we can tempt people!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I'll say it again, he doesnt have authorisation to do anything until her has the grant of probate. That will probably be why the money hasn't been transferred.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
None of dad's bank accounts would release funds to me until they had copy of probate which I readily accepted as correct procedure for significant amounts from most institutions. Once he has sent the probate application off it will probably be another 2 weeks before he is sent or emailed the details of how and where to swear the oath.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
I sent the Probate docs off on the 2nd April and received confirmation of receipt on the 5th and told I should hear within 20 working days. I’m still waiting.

Apart from a joint account I had with my dad which they put into just my name and a cheque the bank released for the funeral they won’t release anything else until they see the official probate docs. The Executor should have had a letter from the bank confirming the balance of each account on the day of death, interest and instructions on how to get the funds released.

Glad you have found a house you like and an offer accepted. I just hope and keep my fingers crossed the sellers are patient and everything else goes as quick as possible. X

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
None of dad's bank accounts would release funds to me until they had copy of probate which I readily accepted as correct procedure for significant amounts from most institutions. Once he has sent the probate application off it will probably be another 2 weeks before he is sent or emailed the details of how and where to swear the oath.
Kiki said
So I am trying to plough through the rest of the admin stuff for my mum. Done the Tell Us Once thing & now filled out the probate forms to help the executor so I am scanning the pages & then emailing them to him.

So the probate docs haven't even been submitted yet,let alone on the way to being returned.
The exec should really be doing all this- and the 'tell us once' come to that. its really going to muddle the waters

I know Kiki thinks ( or at least I get the impression that she thinks) we are getting at her, I am not, just pointing out that there is a right way and a wrong way ( and what really matters is the prescribed way) and that doesnt seem to be happening. hard to believe money has been moved into an account a) without the grant of probate and b) into an account that isn't an exec account.

Not doing it in the required order will not hasten the process ( why the rush anyway?) but only delay it

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Without getting at @Kikki21 i'd like to add my voice to those saying that the executor has no power to act on the contents of the will until it has been proved by the ptobate registry.

It could be rejected because of various stupid mistakes or Kikki could loose all right to her inheritance if she had witnessed the will.

Until the registry has seen the will it cannot be proved as a valid document and the executor empowered to act on the contents.

Last edited:

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Kikki..I echo @Jessbow and @nitram ...we are only trying to help with info from our experiences and not getting at you whatsoever. It is very good that the vendors of the house you want to buy will be patient and wait for probate and for the sale of the bungalow etc but things do legally have to done in a set order and manner and often the wheels turn slowly. Some banks do release smaller amounts on sight of the will but for much larger amounts they cannot afford to make a mistake and release funds even to the main beneficiary until the will has been proven legally and copy placed on public record.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I applied for probate online @Kikki21. It only took a couple of weeks for the will to be proved. I was amazed at how quick it was.
Just interested in case for future use as I did the 2 probates by paper and post..you have to provide the original will so do you complete online then send the will or how does it work?
Kikki...enjoy your break in Scotland.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Just interested in case for future use as I did the 2 probates by paper and post..you have to provide the original will so do you complete online then send the will or how does it work?

I had to send the original will to them but everything else was online.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016

I've applied on-line on the 2nd April. I had to take a colour photograph or colour scan of the death certificate and upload it and then I had to send the original Will with a form I had to print off which had a unique reference number on it. I sent it Special Delivery and they confirmed receipt via email on the 5 April and said they would email again within 20 working days. I am still waiting. It was all very easy to do this way.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I'll say it again, he doesnt have authorisation to do anything until her has the grant of probate. That will probably be why the money hasn't been transferred.

Please can you refer to the Halifax/Lloyd’s bsnk code of practice where it quite clearly states how much money they will transfer to an executor’s account without any mention of probate. I think you will find the amount is £50,000. My mum’s accounts in both banks cane to under that amount.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I sent the Probate docs off on the 2nd April and received confirmation of receipt on the 5th and told I should hear within 20 working days. I’m still waiting.

Apart from a joint account I had with my dad which they put into just my name and a cheque the bank released for the funeral they won’t release anything else until they see the official probate docs. The Executor should have had a letter from the bank confirming the balance of each account on the day of death, interest and instructions on how to get the funds released.

Glad you have found a house you like and an offer accepted. I just hope and keep my fingers crossed the sellers are patient and everything else goes as quick as possible. X

I went to the bank with the Executor & the reason I have done so is to help him fulfil his role & so it helps me. English is not his first language. We have done that by the book by fetching the Will plus death certificate & this was all witnessed by the bank employee as well for verification & we were advised that all of the money would be transferred to the executor account.
I can but hope about the vendor & the house & if it is meant to be then it will be. X

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Kiki said
So I am trying to plough through the rest of the admin stuff for my mum. Done the Tell Us Once thing & now filled out the probate forms to help the executor so I am scanning the pages & then emailing them to him.

So the probate docs haven't even been submitted yet,let alone on the way to being returned.
The exec should really be doing all this- and the 'tell us once' come to that. its really going to muddle the waters

I know Kiki thinks ( or at least I get the impression that she thinks) we are getting at her, I am not, just pointing out that there is a right way and a wrong way ( and what really matters is the prescribed way) and that doesnt seem to be happening. hard to believe money has been moved into an account a) without the grant of probate and b) into an account that isn't an exec account.

Not doing it in the required order will not hasten the process ( why the rush anyway?) but only delay it

I’m sorry but I do tend to find that you find fault with everything near enough that I have written on this forum.
As I was the one to register my mum’s death then I got the Tell Us Once info so I was happy to fill it in & any docs that I get resulting from that can be scanned & emailed to the executor.

I am helping the executor fill in the forms as yet again, English is not his first language & his grasp on the law isn’t like mine. Yes maybe he should have renunciated but he wants to continue to be executor & why should I not help him to save me money?

Please get that I don’t have savings or a massive pot of money, not that I should have to justify myself to you or anyone else for that matter so I am trying to save money & everything is above board.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Without getting at @Kikki21 i'd like to add my voice to those saying that the executor has no power to act on the contents of the will until it has been proved by the ptobate registry.

It could be rejected because of various stupid mistakes or Kikki could loose all right to her inheritance if she had witnessed the will.

Until the registry has seen the will it cannot be proved as a valid document and the executor empowered to act on the contents.

Thank you but I can assure you that I didn’t witness the Will.
The Executor has not done anything in terms of distributing the assets other than the funeral costs which went off the bank accounts anyway & pay for the wake.
He’s also authorised a payment for the gardeners to sort out my mum’s garden for estate agent purposes & as has been confirmed several times over, he does NOT have to wait to put the bungalow up for sale as in waiting for probate.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I applied for probate online @Kikki21. It only took a couple of weeks for the will to be proved. I was amazed at how quick it was.

Thank you & this is what the executor will do as well using my scanned in forms as a guide.
I’m glad the Will went through the probate process so quickly for you. I have heard similar stories & ones where for some reason, the process has been much delayed x

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands

You can do a paper probate form but then online seems a better process but I like doing stuff online anyway. You do have to send off the original will plus copies & death cert in special post tracked & registered what have you & by me saying that I do mean the executor has to.
Thanks about the break in Scotland, this is work related sadly!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti