The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Dear Lawson,

I'm pleased your OH can still do this it used to take me forever to do dad's medicine. Just one of the many things we carers have to remember. I hope your Easter is okay so far. I have managed to take dad out twice.

MaNaAk
I get the chemist to put both of our meds in a dosset boxes. including my own. I have to take two tablets on a definite time so there is time to clear the meds from my system. They one that stops me turning Into a pumpkin. It is easier all round

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I get the chemist to put both of our meds in a dosset boxes. including my own. I have to take two tablets on a definite time so there is time to clear the meds from my system. They one that stops me turning Into a pumpkin. It is easier all round

We haven't needed to go down the road of dosset boxes yet. The trouble is that because he takes the warfarin, the dosages can change, not just daily but can be different each day. He has to be tested regularly and it is quite a nuisance but he actually seems to enjoy doing it. Still gives him a little sense of independence I think.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
We haven't needed to go down the road of dosset boxes yet. The trouble is that because he takes the warfarin, the dosages can change, not just daily but can be different each day. He has to be tested regularly and it is quite a nuisance but he actually seems to enjoy doing it. Still gives him a little sense of independence I think.

Yes, it is good to keep a sense of independence, my husband used to do both lot of pills then I was not sure because my health is complicated and I have a tight regime. So for safety, the GP suggested Dosset packs. I do find some other 'jobs' for him mainly making tea and coffee. Mind he could forget to drink his. :)

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Took OH to a demential screening in lovely restored 1939 cinema yesterday. Unfortunately my listening was disturbed by the annoying buzz of a hearing aid not contacting properly. As it was a special demential viewing I hung in there and did not complain.

On the wrong thread. No. OH had decided to fill his pockets with discarded hearing aids he had found in his bedside drawer!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex

Dear Alice,

You are not a pumpkin;)!

MaNaAk:)

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Lawson and Rhubarb and Alice,

Like the three of you I felt I was becoming a chemist, doctor and several other things however regarding hearing aids dad is due to get a new one soon but I can't help but wonder how long it will last before it disappears. The home and I are doing all we can to prevent disappearances but sometimes the PWDs beat us to it. I was told by the manageress that the residents have put items down the toilet. Also beware of items in tissue boxes!;)

MaNaAk

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Dear Alice,

You are not a pumpkin;)!

MaNaAk:)
Dear Lawson and Rhubarb and Alice,

Like the three of you I felt I was becoming a chemist, doctor and several other things however regarding hearing aids dad is due to get a new one soon but I can't help but wonder how long it will last before it disappears. The home and I are doing all we can to prevent disappearances but sometimes the PWDs beat us to it. I was told by the manageress that the residents have put items down the toilet. Also beware of items in tissue boxes!;)

MaNaAk

Only because I keep taking the tablets on time :):):)

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Only because I keep taking the tablets on time :):):)

Occasionally I have got my thyroxine medication mixed up and I have to take 100 mcg one day followed by 75 mcg the next. When I was caring for dad I never got his medicine muddled up but I can do this with mine and I am the first to complain to the doctor's about his medicine. Dad has Alzheimers but I don't know what my excuse is?;)

MaNaAk

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Dear MaNaAk,

I have given up with hearing aids for OH. Why or why do the manufacturers keep designing them smaller and smaller. So fiddly to maintain. After cleaning and battery changing they would stay in OH's ears for a couple of hours then disappear. It would be so good if something could be invented for PWDs. Until then my mantra is "I will only say this thrice".

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Occasionally I have got my thyroxine medication mixed up and I have to take 100 mcg one day followed by 75 mcg the next. When I was caring for dad I never got his medicine muddled up but I can do this with mine and I am the first to complain to the doctor's about his medicine. Dad has Alzheimers but I don't know what my excuse is?;)

MaNaAk
I fear by the time we get to us we have run out of nursing skills. My Meds come in a paper dosset pack that even tells me what day of the week it is, every little helps

Last edited:

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
The nurse who came to inspect the damage after OH had managed to remove his catheter all by himself, asked very politely if it would be Ok with him if she took a look at his "waterworks" His reply? - "Well go ahead if you really want to, but I sent for you because I have a sore throat".
I really chuckled at this!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I fear by the time we get to us we have run out of nursing skills! X

Dear Alice,

On my way home just now I met my old school friend whose dad is in hospital. My friend's mother is caring for her dad, she's looking out for her mum and I said
someone needs to look out for her but like me no one is really. So we carers look after our loved ones first then ourselves. Result: me putting dad in a home and going down with shingles and my friend going down a similar route along with her mum.

This is why we have to see the Lighter Side.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

I am having to make a dental appointment for dad because he has a loose tooth. Do you think he will ask for his tooth back like before?

MaNaAk

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Why not, perhaps he wants to put it under his pillow for the tooth fairy. That will cost you!

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Went to collect OH from 2 weeks respite yesterday. He seemed pleased (ish) to see me, so I put an arm round his shoulder and gave him a peck on the cheek. Loudly, for the benefit of the others in the lounge he said "That was very nice, but I must make you aware that I am a happily married man". I replied that I knew that as I was his happily married wife. He looked me up and down and said, "I'm sorry, but MY wife is a lot younger than you".

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
My Dad had this problem with Warfarin but there is another drug available Xarelto which doesn't have the same problem with constant blood tests and changes in dosage. Ask the doctor if this would be suitable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69