Dementia and anesthesia

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Dementia and anesthesia don't mix well some physicians are advising their patients that are already diagnosed with Dementia to avoid surgery unless absolutely necessary.

if you must undergo a surgery, have a serious and frank conversation with your surgeon and the anesthesiologist about the type of anesthesia to be used, the possible effects on your brain, and what alternatives are available.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You are quite right @Countryboy.

A general anaesthetic can have a detrimental effect on people with dementia.

However, I remember my husband had a local anaesthetic to remove a small growth and he was fine.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Thanks Grannie G I will remember your comments , I in the very near future if I need an operation that requires having to be given anaesthetic ??

xx

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
My FiL and the partner of a friend have both had bad experiences after General anaesthetics......the delirium was pretty bad with delusions and a lot of anxiety which took several days to disappear. Both are elderly, but neither have dementia (tho maybe MCI?) and they both had fairly major ops, so that was probably a factor too. My FiLs dr was sure it was down to the GA, and said if he needs another op they will try to do it with a local plus sedative (like with hip replacements, they can make you totally unaware of everything, and the bonus is that you wake up without the grogginess and nausea that you get with a GA). Always worth asking if that's an option for you

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband has had three surgeries since his diagnosis of dementia and the outcomes varied a lot. The first left him very confused but for the other two, I alerted the anesthetist that there was a problem and the other two went very well.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Norrms Yes your correct , I recently had to make adecission
there has been so much said about this and its absolutely true it does xxxxx

Hi Norrms yes your correct I had a situation recently where I had to make that decision it's not an easy one, although I have excellent family support It was still Me that had to decide unfortunately this has't gone away and I will be in the same situation in a couple of months and it maybe more urgent decision then ?? unfortunately that's life and old age my friend xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix