Anti-Psychotic drugs...yes or no?

Suzie G

Jan 26, 2015
I've posted before - hope others might have experience of the following:-
Following a decline in mum since Christmas (previously posted details here) - paranoia, dis-orientation, verbally aggressive to me (primary carer) abusive phone calls & threats etc, mum and I met with the Consultant Psychiatrist last Tuesday. Doctor prescribed RISPERIDONE to 'calm her down'. I have been advised to 'step back' from my carer role as I'm close to burn out. Mum has a SW and Carer visits twice a day. I was relieved initially until I read about Risperidone on line.....now don't know what to do.
I have a meeting tomorrow with SW and team co-ordinator of the Care Agency to increase/re-define mum's needs. Anyone experienced this drug first hand? Should she take it?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I have no direct experience of risperidone, but it was prescribed for my mother by a psychiatrist from the memory clinic. However as she lives on her own with no help coming in, gets in a total muddle with her (non-critical) current medication and has a history of spectacular adverse reactions to drugs neither her GP or I think that it is the way to go at present. I have no aversion to seeing if it would help mum's paranoia, and various people here have positive things to say about it, but until we have mum in an environment where she can be properly monitored I think it's a non-starter. If your mum has regular care visits maybe try it and see. I remember your previous posts, make sure you really do take a step back and let them sort it out.

Suzie G

Jan 26, 2015
I have no direct experience of risperidone, but it was prescribed for my mother by a psychiatrist from the memory clinic. However as she lives on her own with no help coming in, gets in a total muddle with her (non-critical) current medication and has a history of spectacular adverse reactions to drugs neither her GP or I think that it is the way to go at present. I have no aversion to seeing if it would help mum's paranoia, and various people here have positive things to say about it, but until we have mum in an environment where she can be properly monitored I think it's a non-starter. If your mum has regular care visits maybe try it and see. I remember your previous posts, make sure you really do take a step back and let them sort it out.
Thanks Sarasa. Think we have to try it and see....just a bit worried it might make her worse.
Am trying to step back but have spent the last 5 hours writing emails and making phone calls to set things in place just so that I can...you guessed it...step back! Sometimes think it's easier to just do everything myself. Not that mum will let me near her now...that's the problem. I'm the very devil you know!!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother was on various anti-psychotics for about 10 years, as she went through several very aggressive and violent stages. She was on risperidone for at least two years and it was effective in stabilizing her behaviour and moods. We had to switch her to another anti-psychotic as she developed Parkinsonian syndrome.

I feel anti-psychotics have a place for people who are violent, paranoid, very agitated and so on. The one thing is that they should be carefully monitored. This is why we switched my mother's meds around. It took the 10 years or so before she was off anti-psychotics completely but that ws because her disease had progressed so far she was no longer violent.

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
My mum is on Rispiridone, and has been since last June, WHAT a difference, it saved her sanity and mine and enabled us to rebuild our previously brilliant relationship that had broken down spectacularly as she was paranoid and anxious and I didn't understand why she was acting out the way she was so it all fell around our ears.
She has been on it since June and only now she is in hospital following a fall on Sunday will anyone have checked it....so much for regular monitoring
Twice a day 0.5mg each time

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum has been on Risperidone for the last year and it has made a huge difference to her, I know that there are risks involved but at 85 I would rather she was not anxious and convinced that someone was going to break in and murder her in the night.

Suzie G

Jan 26, 2015
My mum has been on Risperidone for the last year and it has made a huge difference to her, I know that there are risks involved but at 85 I would rather she was not anxious and convinced that someone was going to break in and murder her in the night.
My mum is on Rispiridone, and has been since last June, WHAT a difference, it saved her sanity and mine and enabled us to rebuild our previously brilliant relationship that had broken down spectacularly as she was paranoid and anxious and I didn't understand why she was acting out the way she was so it all fell around our ears.
She has been on it since June and only now she is in hospital following a fall on Sunday will anyone have checked it....so much for regular monitoring
Twice a day 0.5mg each time
This is reassuring, so thank you!

Suzie G

Jan 26, 2015
That sounds just like my mum....apparently I let people into the house to steal from her (I live 50 miles away!!) Mum is 84 so I'll see what happens. I've been assured that she'll be monitored. We'll see. Thank you for your kind words.

Suzie G

Jan 26, 2015
My mother was on various anti-psychotics for about 10 years, as she went through several very aggressive and violent stages. She was on risperidone for at least two years and it was effective in stabilizing her behaviour and moods. We had to switch her to another anti-psychotic as she developed Parkinsonian syndrome.

I feel anti-psychotics have a place for people who are violent, paranoid, very agitated and so on. The one thing is that they should be carefully monitored. This is why we switched my mother's meds around. It took the 10 years or so before she was off anti-psychotics completely but that ws because her disease had progressed so far she was no longer violent.
Yes, she's been allocated a nurse from the mental health team so I'm hoping that means that she will be effectively monitored. Thank you.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Although my Mum has been in a care home for almost 3 yrs, Mum has been on an anti psychotic Quetiapine for agitation & aggression since Sept 2017.
Her care home had tried absolutely everything first including Lorazepam which just zonked Mum out.
Mum was initially on 12.5mg a day and it was increased to 25mg 3x a day.
Still considered a very small dose.
In Mums case it gave her some quality of life back.
A few times they tried to reduce her dose, which proved disastrous.... not eating, showering, changing, hitting & scratching carers... and us. We had to keep Dad from visiting her when like this.
Mums at end stage Alzheimers now and has been moved from dementia to hospital level.
Her Quetiapine has slowly been withdrawn and touch wood no signs of agitation or agression.
In fact Mum is now at the calmest shes ever been since her Alzheimers diagnosis in 2013.

doodle1

May 11, 2012
My mum has been on Risperadone for four years now and the difference to her quality of life is enormous. She is 94 and to be honest quality of life is now more important than longevity. They tried to take her off it last summer and after a month she was back on it.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband was on 1.5mg per day for over four years. He had been having horrific paranoia, hallucinations etc, and was living in terror. When he started on risperidone, it was as if someone had flipped a switch and turned all that off! He had over two years of a peaceful, contented life at home, before the progression of his illness meant he needed full time care.

Yes, there are risks with the drug. So it should be monitored - William was seen by the consultant every week initially, and then every six-eight weeks. Thankfully, he never showed any side effects. Not everyone does.

Suzie G

Jan 26, 2015
Thank you to everybody who took the time to reply. I no longer feel quite so fearful of the possible problems with the drug. I know every patient is different and reacts differently, but we'll give it a go!