The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers

Hard Work

Sep 20, 2017
West yorkshire
Hi to all fellow insomniacs I'm struggling with. Back pain at the moment and not sleeping well. I am in a lot of pain and was feeling very sorry for myself fortunately my oh with Alzheimer's is fast asleep at the moment so hence my visit to t.p. This thread really cheered me and I can also relate a funny incident. My oh said the other afternoon after being a bit fidgety and me asking if there was something he wanted he said whisky he has never drunk spirits so I said you don't mean whisky and mentionedcoffee yes that's it that's what I meant and we both laughed about it and joked he had invented a new name for coffee. Best wishes to everyone hope everyone can find the lighter side of this horrible illness even if it's only fleeting

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
You could also laugh at the crazy things I the carers seem to put in dad's drawers! Even dad looked aghast the other day!

MaNaAk

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
You could also laugh at the crazy things I the carers seem to put in dad's drawers! Even dad looked aghast the other day!

MaNaAk

@MaNaAk my dad has a drawer in his kitchen especially for his tea towels. They are all folded neatly in a pile and on top of them is a lovely selection of sea shells all arranged in a spread out pattern as if to keep the tea towels in place.

Whenever I need a clean tea towel I struggle to try and keep these pesky little sea shells in their correct place. I don't know why I do this because dad can't find his flipping kitchen now without directions let alone his tea towel drawer. I suppose its just in case he does look in there again.

It's all very odd.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
This weeks obsession for OH is that his socks don't fit. He has worked out that this is because I put them on the wrong feet. I have tried to tell him that both socks are the same but no. According to him that is why socks are sold in pairs - one for each foot. If they were all the same they would be sold singly. To prove his point he lays the socks flat toe to toe and says 'see one right and one left'. I don't argue, just swap the socks to the other foot and he is satisfied.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Before diagnosis I was accused of moving things around! I suppose it was better to assume it was me because dad didn't want to face reality. One thing I do know is that the other residents at the care home have very trendy night wear and underwear!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

At the beginning of March, unbeknown to me, dad had a review with the dementia nurse and his memantine was put up to 10 mg. At one stage it seems they were wondering whether dad was really in the right care home due to religious beliefs and his dementia now making him aggressive.
Anyway my brothers and I found that there is no muslim care home in this vicinity and we informed the care home that we would rather they put dad's medication up rather than move him at the moment. Anyway he seems to have settled down again (touch wood) and today I had the letter from the nurse which made harrowing reading and it ended with her saying that she will be returning in six to eight weeks.

Amongst some of the concerns are physical and verbal aggression and worse agitation in the evening but I would like to draw your attention to the following. Dad behaved well in front of the nurse and said that he was not the owner! When he was asked about his behaviour towards the other residents he said that their okay when they behave!

I am trying to find a lighter moment in what is very trying. I may not be caring for dad at home anymore but I still become very concerned eventhough he is in a home. My brothers have no idea that I feel like this because they are concerned about their own affairs.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

This is my morning at the care home! I arrive to take dad for a coffee before going to have his ears syringed and blood pressure taken. Dad is busy with the chiropodist so I take the opportunity to use his ensuite toilet I am half-way through when I realise that he has finished with the chiropodist and he is wandering where I am! He wanders around in his room and switches the toilet light out at that crucial moment!!!!! I bang on the door and call out to him and meanwhile the chiropodist who is in the lounge outside dad's room must be in hysterics.

Anyway we start to get ready to go and I find that dad's coat has gone for it's own walk and someone else's underwear has decided to visit it's friends in dad's drawer. Dad meanwhile calls everyone at the home his staff and we are about to leave when I notice the deputy manageress. I ask her how dad has been and she says that he has been unsettled and keeps going to the toilet. They tried to get a urine sample from him but they find this difficult so I say that I can ask the nurse in the surgery about this although the deputy manageress says that she thinks his Alzheimers is progressing.

At the surgery the nurse looks at dad's medication and his latest diabetic review and she suggests that it could be a side-effect of memantine however it could also be a side-effect of frusemide as well. Back at the care home I chat with the manageress and she says that he drinks ever such a lot of coffee and has a tendency to ask for another as soon as he has finished the previous one. His bladder would have to be very strong to deal with this and I think his Alzheimers and his bladder are making progress together.

MaNaAk

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Remind me not to invite the staff to a murder mystery dinner. Lot of coffee resulting in too much caffeine and too much liquid hence unsettled and going to the toilet a lot. Just a thought!
Hope your dad’s coat enjoyed it’s walk :D

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
it could also be a side-effect of frusemide as well. Back at the care home I chat with the manageress and she says that he drinks ever such a lot of coffee and has a tendency to ask for another as soon as he has finished the previous one. H

A serious comment in the 'lighter side' thread.
Furosemide is usually prescribed to lessen unwanted fluid build up in parts of the body, this results in increased urine output, a necessary 'side effect'.
The caffeine in copious coffee also increases output, any chance that decaff could be used?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I just walked into my husband's bathroom to put away some towels only to find garlands of toilet paper draped around the bath, over and under the taps and doing a couple of laps through the grab bars.

I was very confused so asked him what it was all about. His reply was that he had somehow accidentally dropped the toilet roll into the bowl of the toilet so thought he should hang it out to dry.

He said the water was clean so it didn't matter. Yuk!

patbryn

Mar 22, 2019
Wales
I made my mum fish and chips, she eat all the chips but left the fish whole. I asked if there was something wrong with the fish? no mum said but I am knitting a belt, you cant eat fish when your knitting a belt! your right i said you cant.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Remind me not to invite the staff to a murder mystery dinner. Lot of coffee resulting in too much caffeine and too much liquid hence unsettled and going to the toilet a lot. Just a thought!
Hope your dad’s coat enjoyed it’s walk :D
Dear Roly,

Let's see if it returns tomorrow!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Furosemide is usually prescribed to lessen unwanted fluid build up in parts of the body, this results in increased urine output, a necessary 'side effect'.
The caffeine in copious coffee also increases output, any chance that decaff could be used?
Dear Nitram,

I've just emailed this request to the manageress.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I just walked into my husband's bathroom to put away some towels only to find garlands of toilet paper draped around the bath, over and under the taps and doing a couple of laps through the grab bars.

I was very confused so asked him what it was all about. His reply was that he had somehow accidentally dropped the toilet roll into the bowl of the toilet so thought he should hang it out to dry.

He said the water was clean so it didn't matter. Yuk!
Ugh!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I made my mum fish and chips, she eat all the chips but left the fish whole. I asked if there was something wrong with the fish? no mum said but I am knitting a belt, you cant eat fish when your knitting a belt! your right i said you cant.
Very strange!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Roly,

Let's see if it returns tomorrow!

MaNaAk

Dear Roly,

I found dad's coat lounging around in the lounge today! I also put a stop to more underwear visits to his drawer!

I hope you were able to enjoy part of mother's day

MaNaAK

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Nitram,

I spoke to the carers today and they say that dad has been going to the toilet and not doing anything so I think he is a bit obsessed with the toilet. He seemed okay when I took him out today.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Can anyone answer this the home have put a notice in the lift but they have put the wrong house number in their address. The house number they have put belongs to the home next door! Both homes are owned by the same person!

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can anyone answer this the home have put a notice in the lift but they have put the wrong house number in their address. The house number they have put belongs to the home next door! Both homes are owned by the same person!

A company notice, company is registered next door?
In the greater scheme of things, does it really matter?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
A company notice, company is registered next door?
In the greater scheme of things, does it really matter?

It doesn't matter Nitram! It's me being light hearted I've had a good day out with dad but today of all days it is sad to hear him ask about mum again after burying her eleven years ago.

I appreciate the carers who have given up their mother's day to care for my dad and his friends.

MaNaAk