Mum going to report me

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Mums bank books ( allegedly stolen) found in tea bag container in top of cupboard. Not before I went to bank and cancelled all :mad:

pingpong

Sep 7, 2017
Today, finally, got to see GP with my mother. GP basically shot me down in flames as my mother was spouting and I was sitting behind shaking my head because it was all lies and not what was happening. GP asked why I was shaking my head and it went on from there. It has ended that perhaps I should distance myself from her for a while and GP is going to get in Adult Social Services to assess her needs and how they can help her. GP wants to see her again in two to three weeks and also said she is quite happy to see me if I wanted. I said no thank you my mother is the one causing me angst. Mother turns round and said yes you've got lots of problems and need to see her!!! We came out of the doctors and she said Hewie will miss you - well Hewie was the dog before this one! She also said you will find me dead one day - sorry but with a bit of luck she is 86 you know - yes I know every single bloody day of her being 86! So I attempted to get a Capacity Assessment and it has been stonewalled all the way along for the last two years. I give up. My advice to anybody seeking to get Capacity Assessment for the Health and Welfare POA to be envoked - don't bother. Disappointed, yes, sick to the stomach, yes. I should just add that the GP said it was her position to listen to her patient and it was up to her patient whether she wanted to give permission for anything currently.

whetstone woman

Feb 18, 2014
You have my total sympathy. Why do we bother with the thankless task of looking after someone with dementia? Must need our heads read.

tarakins

Mar 15, 2019
I'm having the same problem. Mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and we as a large family also think dad may be in early stages. One family member is hiding them away along with her diagnosis. The lasting power of attorney rang the dementia clinic to raise concerns, get a full diagnosis and capacity test and was told there was an alert on the hospital notes and they rang mum to tell her!!!!! The Office Of The Public Guardian are now involved. It's a nightmare.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Well, that was a chocolate teapot of a GP!. It doesnt sound like knows much about dementia. At least he wants to see your mum again - if she gets there!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@pingpong, what a useless GP. My mothers GP obviously thought we were worrying about nothing when we first raised our concerns with him, but he did listen to what we had to say. Since then I email him before hand with my concerns which he then uses as a basis to talk to my mum. However like yours, my mother doesn't think there is anything wrong with her, but after a scene in the surgery the GP sent the psychiatrist from the memory clinic to go and talk to mum and he has diagnosed probably vascular dementia. I'm taking mum to the GP in a week or two to see where we go from here.
Like yours my mother is also convinced I'm the one with problems. She once phoned her GPs surgery to complain about me and to point out I wasn't a qualified doctor as she thought I'd arranged a memory clinic appointment (which she refused to go to) rather than the doctor.
I think step back as far as you can. It may well mean that a crisis occurs but that may be the only way your mum gets the help she needs

myss

Jan 14, 2018
@pingpong
I think step back as far as you can. It may well mean that a crisis occurs but that may be the only way your mum gets the help she needs

Jeez @pingpong what a drama you had, It sounds like a movie script. I cannot believe that you had to wait from October until now to address this issue with your mum's GP.

You know, it sounds like you've done all you can. You got EPAs in place - regardless how well they work or not - as this is one example where you've tried to use it and it was exhaustive. Please don't feel the GP's behaviour is the typical response.

That said I agree with the GP and Sarasa's advice above. The most you can do now is to do everything relating to your Mum in writing. Put your experience in writing and send to those who need to know since you've been advised to step back, i.e. GP, local authority adult care, local police, etc - just to cover your own back and to inform those who may be stepping into your 'previous' role what they may expect.

Also, now you've got a little more time to put you and your children first. I have reiterate that point made by others on this thread about your mum's accusations of you, I got it too from my dad. Its the dementia that doing this to you/me, please try to remember this and perhaps just don't try to argue it out as it will likely lead to more stress for you both as she won't back down easily if at all. Some others on here will just walk out the room completely just to avoid it.

pingpong

Sep 7, 2017
Thank you everybody for your kind advice.
Well today it got even better - went round to walk the dog and mother was out with the hairdresser shopping! Took a quick look in her diary - Friday's entry - Doctor thinks Jane needs help - good judge. Rang Pam (hairdresser) about Jane - she is horrified. Jane going to sever all contact, not even walk Spike. Don't know what going to happen to POA. It was the doctor's suggestion that we distanced ourselves for a while but mother obviously doesn't recall that bit.
So, because I have Financial POA, I checked her bank statement because she had an online food shop delivered four days ago of £84. Well she has just spent £70 at Morrisons - not bad for one person. Also, she paid a visit to Timpsons and paid out £9.99 - which would appear to be for keycutting! So now the hairdresser/cleaner/gardener/shopping companion/confidante who thinks I am the stuff you walk in has a front door key!!! Great. You couldn't make it up.

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
It sounds like a nightmare for you. Is there no one out there with any common sense. I don’t know what to say to help you other than write it all down and send to her GP. Can you see a different GP in the practice maybe they might offer more help.

pingpong

Sep 7, 2017
It sounds like a nightmare for you. Is there no one out there with any common sense. I don’t know what to say to help you other than write it all down and send to her GP. Can you see a different GP in the practice maybe they might offer more help.
Sadly having seen the head honcho and the sidekick this is where I am at. Have just spoken with my son whose response was "are they blinkered". Sums it up really. Seems like political correctness supposedly acts in my mother's favour but some point, probably soon, her walls are going to come tumbling down and all these so-called friends of hers will be nowhere to be seen and without the help she obviously needs she will probably end up in a home but I will be nowhere to be seen.

pingpong

Sep 7, 2017
Jeez @pingpong what a drama you had, It sounds like a movie script. I cannot believe that you had to wait from October until now to address this issue with your mum's GP.

You know, it sounds like you've done all you can. You got EPAs in place - regardless how well they work or not - as this is one example where you've tried to use it and it was exhaustive. Please don't feel the GP's behaviour is the typical response.

That said I agree with the GP and Sarasa's advice above. The most you can do now is to do everything relating to your Mum in writing. Put your experience in writing and send to those who need to know since you've been advised to step back, i.e. GP, local authority adult care, local police, etc - just to cover your own back and to inform those who may be stepping into your 'previous' role what they may expect.

Also, now you've got a little more time to put you and your children first. I have reiterate that point made by others on this thread about your mum's accusations of you, I got it too from my dad. Its the dementia that doing this to you/me, please try to remember this and perhaps just don't try to argue it out as it will likely lead to more stress for you both as she won't back down easily if at all. Some others on here will just walk out the room completely just to avoid it.
I have tried the walking out bit but at the doctors she said that I just breeze in and breeze out and slam the door.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The hairdresser/carer/friend might be in for a nasty surprise.
With you (temporarily) out of the picture your mum will not be able to blame you for things that go wrong and so she is likely to turn on this friend.

Before we realised that mum has Alzheimers she accused her cleaner of moving things around, hiding things from her and stealing from her, so the cleaner was sacked and mums friend stepped up to help her. This was an old trusted friend, so I was shocked when, suddenly mum phoned up and ranted on about how this friend was stealing from her and behaving dreadfully towards her. The friend said that she couldnt continue going round if it upset mum, which I agreed with. So then it was my turn. Mum told all the neighbours that I was stealing from her and hitting her and they all gave me odd looks because mum was so convincing. Within a few months, however mum had written several nasty letters to the neighbours and posted them through their letter box, she was getting into arguments with them over the bins, the woman across the road had contacted the police because she said mum was harrassing her, mum was going out at night, very inadequately dressed and banging on the neighbours doors at silly o'clock in the morning and by this time everyone knew there was a problem!

pingpong

Sep 7, 2017
The hairdresser/carer/friend might be in for a nasty surprise.
With you (temporarily) out of the picture your mum will not be able to blame you for things that go wrong and so she is likely to turn on this friend.

Before we realised that mum has Alzheimers she accused her cleaner of moving things around, hiding things from her and stealing from her, so the cleaner was sacked and mums friend stepped up to help her. This was an old trusted friend, so I was shocked when, suddenly mum phoned up and ranted on about how this friend was stealing from her and behaving dreadfully towards her. The friend said that she couldnt continue going round if it upset mum, which I agreed with. So then it was my turn. Mum told all the neighbours that I was stealing from her and hitting her and they all gave me odd looks because mum was so convincing. Within a few months, however mum had written several nasty letters to the neighbours and posted them through their letter box, she was getting into arguments with them over the bins, the woman across the road had contacted the police because she said mum was harrassing her, mum was going out at night, very inadequately dressed and banging on the neighbours doors at silly o'clock in the morning and by this time everyone knew there was a problem!
Yes indeed, mum has already said that the hairdresser gets on her wick wanting to do stuff that she doesn't want touching! It's the same with everybody. Her old neighbour phones up to fill her in with the gossip and she just says what a waste of time and doesn't know why she phoned. Ungrateful doesn't come into it. She hates her new neighbours and has already put a note on the chap's windscreen to say not to park outside her window! How to win friends and influence people :)

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
It does sound like it won’t be long before she has fallen out with the hair dresser and she will be asking you for help then.

bmca

Nov 11, 2018
we have enough worry and problems looking after our family members without fighting the doctors, nurses and social services.

pingpong

Sep 7, 2017
So have today discovered that my mother has spoken with my daughter and her husband (I've told them all about Jane) whilst they were visiting me for Easter. They made two long visits to her (three doors away from me) and said nothing. I tried to be strong when they were leaving but my grandson burst out crying and said he didn't want to go, that set me off - which resulted in my daughter and son-in-law looking at each other with a "knowing" look. I need to have more respect for myself and not allow all this to affect me - I keep trying to tell myself that anyway :) I am still walking her dog every day for free (something that a dog walker wants £15 an hour to do) but when I go round she hides behind the kitchen door until I've gone! I hate my mother with a passion and feel I am nothing more than something on the bottom of her shoe - not a very nice feeling. Sorry for the post just a wee bit upset and betrayed.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I(((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))
Its hard, but try to rise above it.

Your mum is misremembering the past and has faulty reasoning - both due to the dementia.
She is hiding it well, but she wont be able to hide it forever.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Sadly GP says there is nothing wrong with her so it must be me!

Well, yes, of course he does because hes a chocolate teapot and he is listening to (and believing) your mothers confabulations.
I was told that there was nothing wrong with my OH - he was just depressed and that I was the cause of his depression!!
In the minds of people who have dementia there isnt anything wrong with them, so everything that goes wrong is due to someone else - usually the main carer. Thats why you were advised to step back a bit (which you have done)

As I said, she wont be able to hide it forever. It might take weeks or even months, but eventually it will be obvious to everyone.