Really struggling...

mrsclairej

Feb 28, 2019
my mum has been recently diagnosed and although i knew she had dementia to get a diagnosis is devastating. i also think she has went downhill really quickly when comparing what she is like now to a few months back. Just feel really sad, i just miss the mum that i once had.

Larker

Mar 1, 2019
East Yorkshire
my mum has been recently diagnosed and although i knew she had dementia to get a diagnosis is devastating. i also think she has went downhill really quickly when comparing what she is like now to a few months back. Just feel really sad, i just miss the mum that i once had.
I know how you feel. My husband was recently diagnosed. I also knew he had some form of dementia but am devastated with the diagnosis. He also has gone down hill very rapidly and tonight doesnt know me and doesnt know we are married. i am so upset and just dont know what to do.

mrsclairej

Feb 28, 2019
I know how you feel. My husband was recently diagnosed. I also knew he had some form of dementia but am devastated with the diagnosis. He also has gone down hill very rapidly and tonight doesnt know me and doesnt know we are married. i am so upset and just dont know what to do.

Larker

Mar 1, 2019
East Yorkshire
Thanks for the reply, I understand where you are coming from because I just feel so helpless.
I retired from social work last year. I have worked with lots of families looking after a loved one with dementia but nothing prepared me for it happening in my house. It is so cruel.

hilaryd

May 28, 2017
Hi @mrsclairej - a diagnosis does feel like a bombshell, but on the plus side it can also help you to get access to more help and support from doctors, social services etc. And coming to Talking Point is definitely a good move - you'll get so much practical advice and support here from people who know exactly how you feel and what you're going through and who won't be judgemental. It's all a learning curve, and an emotional one at that, but you're not alone.