not eating

brenda22

Mar 6, 2019
I look after my dad who has vascular dementia, he has stopped eating recently. Is this the beginning of the end?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @brenda22, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

That could be a variety of things so don't jump to the worst case scenario. It could be an infection, it could be a problem with swallow, or even a problem that is common, - the sense of taste being lost and so food/drink tasting nasty. This last reason is why the famous dementia sweet tooth develops(sweet and sour being the last parts of the sense of taste to be lost). A chat with the GP may help with assistance or an answer.

Apart from that, I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

GinnyJan

Jan 20, 2018
My Mum has begun to leave most of whatever I give her now but she loves the Kipling apple or apple and blackberry pies so that is what she gets with double cream poured over. She has them every day and never seems to get tired of them. Whilst no-one could say they are healthy, she does, at least, get some calories from them.
I mentioned her lack of appetite to her GP and she prescribed some sachets of powder which, when mixed with milk, give around 300 calories. Mum says they're lovely, and they come in various flavours (I got banana, strawberry and chocolate). The choccy one, I make up with hot milk at bedtime and it goes down a treat.
As I say, not particularly healthy but enough calories to keep Mum from losing too much weight too quickly.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My Mum has begun to leave most of whatever I give her now but she loves the Kipling apple or apple and blackberry pies so that is what she gets with double cream poured over. She has them every day and never seems to get tired of them. Whilst no-one could say they are healthy, she does, at least, get some calories from them.
I mentioned her lack of appetite to her GP and she prescribed some sachets of powder which, when mixed with milk, give around 300 calories. Mum says they're lovely, and they come in various flavours (I got banana, strawberry and chocolate). The choccy one, I make up with hot milk at bedtime and it goes down a treat.
As I say, not particularly healthy but enough calories to keep Mum from losing too much weight too quickly.

Calories are what count and it worked for dad . His favourite ice cream with a bit of double cream poured over the top.

I can't imagine what his cholesterol is like but he is almost 89 years old and likes his ice cream.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I look after my dad who has vascular dementia, he has stopped eating recently. Is this the beginning of the end?

No necessarily @brenda22. It depends on how long your dad has had dementia and what stage he is at.

My husband stopped eating and lost a lot of weight. He also was losing mobility and putting himself at risk so I decided the time had come for residential care.

Once he had settled in the home he started eating more and regained a lot of the weight he had lost. I have no idea why but was just happy to see him enjoying food again.

Have you asked your dad`s GP to examine him for any mouth or dental infection or condition which could be one of the reasons he has stopped eating. It might be an idea.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej