Affect of nursing home care on disability benefits

Kalexie

Aug 9, 2015
Hi everyone.

My husband has Alzheimer's Disease (probably late stage 6 I would say). I have been his full time care giver for almost 4 years now. We are in receipt of ESA, PIP, Carer's Allowance, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support (we live in a privately rented house) My husband is 63 and I am 55.

My husband goes to a day care center one day a week and I do have help from our daughter and friends but, despite this, my own mental and physical health is suffering now and I am beginning to wonder how much longer I can cope. If the time did come in the near future when I felt I had no choice but to place my husband in a nursing home could anyone please tell me what would be the affect on the benefits please?

Thank you so much in advance for any information you can give.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It depends whether your husband is classed as self-funding or not, ie whether he has savings/assets over £23,250 himself. If so, PIP should continue as I believe it's the equivalent of Attendance Allowance. If not, it stops. Carers Allowance should stop after four weeks of someone being in a hospital or care home, because according to the government's logic, you no longer care enough hours.

I'm not certain which council tax support you refer to. If he is on the SMI disregard that basically takes him out of the equation and gives the household a single person discount of 25%, that will not change.

Kalexie

Aug 9, 2015
It depends whether your husband is classed as self-funding or not, ie whether he has savings/assets over £23,250 himself. If so, PIP should continue as I believe it's the equivalent of Attendance Allowance. If not, it stops. Carers Allowance should stop after four weeks of someone being in a hospital or care home, because according to the government's logic, you no longer care enough hours.

I'm not certain which council tax support you refer to. If he is on the SMI disregard that basically takes him out of the equation and gives the household a single person discount of 25%, that will not change.
Thank you so much.