Incontinence

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi all

I have been managing my husband's incontinence for over two years now and am tired of it. I get him to change his incontinence pants regularly but hard waking up to helping him early morning and just before I go to bed.

I am wondering if a catheter would help him and also be easier to manage for me. I have read about them and see one of them can have a valve in the stomach to get rid of the urine.

I would appreciate if anyone can tell me if they have any information or experience of this and if it would be easier. I have to apply a barrier cream to him to stop soreness, sometimes there is leakage and at night have to pad him up well. There is the waste of lots of incontinence pants our bin gets completely full and very heavy.

Regards, Reds

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hi all

I have been managing my husband's incontinence for over two years now and am tired of it. I get him to change his incontinence pants regularly but hard waking up to helping him early morning and just before I go to bed.

I am wondering if a catheter would help him and also be easier to manage for me. I have read about them and see one of them can have a valve in the stomach to get rid of the urine.

I would appreciate if anyone can tell me if they have any information or experience of this and if it would be easier. I have to apply a barrier cream to him to stop soreness, sometimes there is leakage and at night have to pad him up well. There is the waste of lots of incontinence pants our bin gets completely full and very heavy.

Regards, Reds
Hi have you spoken to the continence team that supply continence pads etc on prescription they maybe able to help you,you may need to speak to your GP first though,your GP will also prescribe the best creams and wash products on repeat prescription,if you speak to your local council they should provide an additional bin for the pads,I rang them and they sent another bin for our home.
I'm sorry that didn't answer your main question but I hope it helps a little

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi have you spoken to the continence team that supply continence pads etc on prescription they maybe able to help you,you may need to speak to your GP first though,your GP will also prescribe the best creams and wash products on repeat prescription,if you speak to your local council they should provide an additional bin for the pads,I rang them and they sent another bin for our home.
I'm sorry that didn't answer your main question but I hope it helps a little

Thank you! Yes he does have cream/wash product on prescription. They don't seem to want to give a medication due to it being because of memory. Thanks again for helping.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

I tried these with my husband and I did have to put them on. He more or less always managed to pull them off.

He had a catheter for a short time due to urine retention but he attempted to pull that out.

The only thing that worked for him overnight was Tena flex and all in one pyjamas which zipped up the back.

https://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/shopbybrand/tena-brands-tena-menu/tena-flex.html

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Thank you all for your kind help. I have read the links and will decide what might be best for him. I am not sure if a catheter is the right thing for him at the moment.