Not urinating enough but still up and down at night!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Oh has rapidly deteriorated. Now virtually immobile, uses frame for a few steps then wheelchaired.
His day consists of sitting in recliner when not in wheelchair. Then into bed.
Has had recent UTIs but theses appeared cleared after the antibiotics.
I have noticed for the last few days he is hardly urinating during the day but as always is up and down all night(I accompany) and he says sometimes a dribble sometimes nothing!!!
He does not drink as much water as he should, son has bought a ‘sport type’ water bottle , which not only states times and amounts on it, but he can just use the straw like top, but it does seem to encourage.
I should add that apart from MD( Alzheimer’s and Vascular) he is insulin diabetic with CKD!
I will of course contact GP tomorrow. I suppose reluctant as OH always states he would never under any circumstances have dialysis!
I again suppose I am hoping someone will say ‘oh it’s another symptom that goes with dementia.,
If yOu can shed any light on this problem, I would be most grateful! And thanks!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
OH was up and down many times during the night which was due to prostate problems. He had surgery but was not as advanced into dementia as yours. He always felt that he needed to urinate even when there was not much in his bladder. His surgery really helped but he had only been diagnosed less than a year.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I have a bladder problem and if I don't drink enough can be up and dwn a few times with little action. The doc says it's because the urine becomes concentrated and that irritates th ebladder making you need to go even if it's not full. There's ways to train your bladder, but they are hard enough when you don't have dementia. Sorry @Lady M

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
He might simply need medication. My OH was prescribed Tamsulosin to prevent urine retention. It's a common problem in elderly males.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
OH was up and down many times during the night which was due to prostate problems. He had surgery but was not as advanced into dementia as yours. He always felt that he needed to urinate even when there was not much in his bladder. His surgery really helped but he had only been diagnosed less than a year.
Hi
Thanks for the reply but I am intrigued! You say your Oh was not as advanced into dementia as mine? How do I know what ‘stage’ he is at?? Now I really am worried!
Perhaps you would be kind enough to reply again with more details, thanks.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi
Thanks for the reply but I am intrigued! You say your Oh was not as advanced into dementia as mine? How do I know what ‘stage’ he is at?? Now I really am worried!
Perhaps you would be kind enough to reply again with more details, thanks.
I was thinking about what you said about your husband needing a frame and a wheelchair and how he has deteriorated. And I have read your other posts.

My husband is still mobile, needs no assistance with personal care and is still playing bridge. He was diagnosed almost five years ago but it was a separate issue to his prostate problems. He had surgery not long after his AD diagnosis, when his general health including his dementia was much better than what it is now.

I understand that continence problems can arise from the dementia but this was a purely physical problem that he had suffered for some time.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
I was thinking about what you said about your husband needing a frame and a wheelchair and how he has deteriorated. And I have read your other posts.

My husband is still mobile, needs no assistance with personal care and is still playing bridge. He was diagnosed almost five years ago but it was a separate issue to his prostate problems. He had surgery not long after his AD diagnosis, when his general health including his dementia was much better than what it is now.

I understand that continence problems can arise from the dementia but this was a purely physical problem that he had suffered for some time.
Thanks for the reply!