Fall and open wound

mistrymachine

Feb 18, 2017
My mum fell flat on her face for the first time this morning. It led to a cut on her eyebrow with a lot of blood loss. When we saw her she looked like she was unconscious but breathing like she was in deep sleep. She doesn't have any history of sleep walking and most likely she fainted while getting up from the bed. She refuses to get any dressing done for the wound. I think she may need stiches. However, she is so delirious right now that it is almost impossible to get any cooporation from her. I fear she may get infection. Does anyone know if such wound can lead to infection if dont get stiches soon? Right now we have managed to apply some antibacterial ointment (mupirocin).
Ps: my mum has dementia most likely of lewy-body type. She refuses to do any tests and gets very agitated if we go to the hospital.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
Hi @mistrymachine .....your mum really should see a dr even if she can't go to the hospital.....if there's any possibility of her being knocked out she may have concussion. Wounds on the face can bleed a lot, and she may need stitches or proper dressings to pull it together, as well as cleaning. My dad (no dementia, just tripped) had a fall while shopping, went face down and ended up with a broken nose and 2 massive black eyes as well as a bad cut.....fortunately a very kind young man insisted on taking him to A&E and they kept him in overnight as a precaution (he lives on his own).

Maybe the other thing you could do is to call the ambulance service....a first responder might be able to assess and clean up without her having to go to hospital. If the delirium is to do with her accident, and not her normal response, you may need medical help with that too. Hope she is soon better

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @mistrymachine
I think in your position I'd call an ambulance to have your mum checked over - I appreciate your mum won't like this but it would set your mind at rest
or call 111 to see what the operators there suggest
might your GP or a district nurse pay a call .. have a chat with her surgery

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
sorry, forgot to add that a dr should probably also investigate why she had a fall, particularly as this is new.....maybe postural hypotension (blood pressure) or a small stroke etc.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad once had a similar fall with facial injuries in his NH ...he was very frightened and agitated at all things medical even taking BP. Paramedics came quite quickly and although he didn't lose consciousness his bleeding face wound would not stop plus he had another huge lump. He needed stitches so against all our wishes that we could sort it at his NH for dad...with all our agreement in his best interests he was taken by ambulance. He needed 5 stitches with sedation and me holding him down but...he needed that to happen and we all recognised that. He was also checked out for concussion. He gradually pulled the stitches out over the following days and wouldn't keep any dressing on but it was enough for the healing to at least start. He fell outside so it needed proper cleaning as well.

I would phone 111 and most probably they would advise her being seen asap and especially if still bleeding...dad's wound on this occasion..one of many facial wounds...couldn't be stemmed... in case as well there is an underlying reason other than dementia decline for the fall.

mistrymachine

Feb 18, 2017
Dear all
Thanks you for your replies and concern. We got her to the near by clinic. We had to walk because she wouldn't get into the car. The doctor briefly examined her wound and according to him it can heal using a cream and without stiches. Actually the bleeding had stopped after few minutes. But she totally resisted any dressing or even touching the face so we will have to do it at home. I feel that the doctor missed to see the open wound because of the clot, which I noticed once I applied the cream at home.
The blood pressure was normal at the clinic. There are no other visible injuries but he didn't check for potential stroke. I think she is a bit calmer now. We are planning to get her checked again later.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dear all
Thanks you for your replies and concern. We got her to the near by clinic. We had to walk because she wouldn't get into the car. The doctor briefly examined her wound and according to him it can heal using a cream and without stiches. Actually the bleeding had stopped after few minutes. But she totally resisted any dressing or even touching the face so we will have to do it at home. I feel that the doctor missed to see the open wound because of the clot, which I noticed once I applied the cream at home.
The blood pressure was normal at the clinic. There are no other visible injuries but he didn't check for potential stroke. I think she is a bit calmer now. We are planning to get her checked again later.
That's good to hear.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My dau has had several wounds which potentially needed stitches (she was a Mountain biker at the time), in the worst one, I didn't see the large scab until days later, she had done it at training camp, and thought she banged her leg and it was just bruised. She did comment the coaches saw it but 24 hours later and I assumed it was too late for stitches by then. We soaked scab off so we could try and pull wound together and used steri strips to slowly pull it together. She has a 2 inch long scar but it is much better than the 2.5 inch long and .5 inch wide wound.

So if you can keep it clean, it will heal, but there will be a scar. You can buy steri strips at chemists if she'll let you near it.

Not something I've experienced with my mum but based on being a TP regular for 5 years, I think there is an unhappy balance of keeping the person calm, and medical treatment.

Many of posted on TP of their loved ones having TIAs and not having any medical treatment as they were already on the relevant medicines, and to diagnose a stroke a scan is needed which is not going to happen based on your posts.

I have had concussion several times(bike crashes, banged head white water canoeing), but never bothered with a hospital visit. I do now know that after a head bang things can deteriorate rapidly (happened to a freinds' friend) and you need to be observed for 24 hours, ie have company after a head bang - so if you don't live with your mum maybe stay with her and check on her overnight if you thinks she was unconscious rather than fainted.

mistrymachine

Feb 18, 2017
Thank you. That is a very reasuring post to read. I was feeling very nervous since morning as I had not seen anyone injured this way before. Last 4-5 days she was in a much happier state of mind, which is kind of gone right now. She is constantly walking around in the house. Didn't take her afternoon nap like she used to. Perhaps, its the discomfort caused due to the injury. The cut is a little less than 1 inch. Me and my father both live with her so one of us is always around. Its a lesson learned to not leave her alone when she is getting out of her bed.

My dau has had several wounds which potentially needed stitches (she was a Mountain biker at the time), in the worst one, I didn't see the large scab until days later, she had done it at training camp, and thought she banged her leg and it was just bruised. She did comment the coaches saw it but 24 hours later and I assumed it was too late for stitches by then. We soaked scab off so we could try and pull wound together and used steri strips to slowly pull it together. She has a 2 inch long scar but it is much better than the 2.5 inch long and .5 inch wide wound.

So if you can keep it clean, it will heal, but there will be a scar. You can buy steri strips at chemists if she'll let you near it.

Not something I've experienced with my mum but based on being a TP regular for 5 years, I think there is an unhappy balance of keeping the person calm, and medical treatment.

Many of posted on TP of their loved ones having TIAs and not having any medical treatment as they were already on the relevant medicines, and to diagnose a stroke a scan is needed which is not going to happen based on your posts.

I have had concussion several times(bike crashes, banged head white water canoeing), but never bothered with a hospital visit. I do now know that after a head bang things can deteriorate rapidly (happened to a freinds' friend) and you need to be observed for 24 hours, ie have company after a head bang - so if you don't live with your mum maybe stay with her and check on her overnight if you thinks she was unconscious rather than fainted.