Annual Increase in fees at Care Home

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
I am sure I have seen posts on here about fees increase but can't find it. My Mum is in care home that she and I are happy with. I have received a letter about an annual fee increase of 3.5%. Is this general for most parts of the country?

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I am in Scotland, my late husband was in a care/nursing home the last five years of his life, he died in June 2016. His care home fee did increase every year. I don't know about the rest of the UK but others will be better informed.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'd say 3.5% increase was a bargain, people on here have posted about 25% increases.
To be fair to the homes employment legislation is adding massively to their costs, whilst giving more and better rights to employees is no doubt a good thing staffing costs are a major part of any home's costs and inevitably these are passed on to the customer.
K

scattysue

Aug 20, 2015
I read this thread with interest and a bit of concern. My sister went into residential/nursing care in late September 2018 - her care is LA funded and she has to pay an amount which was decided on by means of a financial assessment.
Two questions:
1. If (or perhaps I should say when) the fees for her care go up will her contribution change or will that remain the same as it is based on her ability to pay?
2. Will the LA continue to fund the care with the increased cost or might they refuse funding?

Thanks for any information

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I am sure I have seen posts on here about fees increase but can't find it. My Mum is in care home that she and I are happy with. I have received a letter about an annual fee increase of 3.5%. Is this general for most parts of the country?
When dad was in his NH...Kent...annual increases of around 8/9% unfortunately

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I read this thread with interest and a bit of concern. My sister went into residential/nursing care in late September 2018 - her care is LA funded and she has to pay an amount which was decided on by means of a financial assessment.
Two questions:
1. If (or perhaps I should say when) the fees for her care go up will her contribution change or will that remain the same as it is based on her ability to pay?
2. Will the LA continue to fund the care with the increased cost or might they refuse funding?

Thanks for any information

My mum is LA funded. We have never been informed that the care home fees have increased although I'm sure they must have over the 18 mths mum has been there. However mums contribution has increased, although not greatly, during this time due to financial reassessment which seems to be annually.
I too wonder if our LA continues to pay the same rate. I have no idea what will happen if there is a big shortfall. Perhaps a topup would be requested by care home.