Care of diabetics in dementia home

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
Hi All,
I am interested in your thoughts and opinions on this.

Mam is borderline diabetic and on a sugar free diet. A friend of hers in the home is a diabetic who receives insulin before each meal. I have no problem with the overall care, it is one person in particular. She is the Activities Coordinator and will insist on giving chocolate bars as prizes. Also, when giving out tea or coffee, she will give cake, if there is some, to everyone, including mam and her friend.
Today when she gave mam’s friend a chocolate bar I queried it, her response was, “life’s too short”.

Is this dangerous or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Thanks x

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
It is sometimes difficult as a visitor or resident with some clarity to know the full story but I too would be a little concerned on behalf of the resident of the flippant reply just in case. I assume the activities co ordinator is aware of the resident's diabetes rather than her comment just meaning eating chocolate to enjoy as life is too short? If blood sugars are regulated and checked properly I understand that sweet foods can be given in moderation...at dad's NH several diabetics had their blood sugars checked by the nurse before a decision to give sweet puddings was taken.

Quizbunny

Nov 20, 2011
My mum is a type 2 diabetic. The previous CH manager decided mum was never to have anything that she deemed 'sugar', that meant no desserts, no biscuit with her tea and no cake even when it was a residents birthday. It didn't matter how many times we told her that diabetics can have anything, just in moderation, we would still have to feed her chocolate, my mums absolute favourite, on the sly.

At 88 and with advanced AD what exactly are we protecting her from. As far as I am concerned she has precious little to make her smile so she can have something lush now and then.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm diabetic type II (I'm guessing that's the one we are talking about here and not the one where you need regular insulin injections) and I eat chocolate. Having diabetes doesn't mean you have to follow a totally sugar free diet, especially when someone is only borderline. As others have said, you can eat everything, but in moderation. As long as it's otherwise well controlled with regular blood tests, I really wouldn't worry too much. Not trying to sound glib, but the dementia is probably the bigger problem in terms of life expectancy.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree with quizbunny, it wouldn't be top of my list of issues. My mother loves sweet food and I wouldn't see 'borderline diabetic' as an urgent reason to stop her eating it. Restricting it - yes if possible.

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
It is sometimes difficult as a visitor or resident with some clarity to know the full story but I too would be a little concerned on behalf of the resident of the flippant reply just in case. I assume the activities co ordinator is aware of the resident's diabetes rather than her comment just meaning eating chocolate to enjoy as life is too short? If blood sugars are regulated and checked properly I understand that sweet foods can be given in moderation...at dad's NH several diabetics had their blood sugars checked by the nurse before a decision to give sweet puddings was taken.

Thanks for the input.
She is aware this resident is diabetic and requires insulin. As far as I’ve seen her blood sugars are checked before each meal. I can see she is extremely thin and prone to falls and have heard other carers say her diabetes is getting worse.
With mam being borderline I’m not too concerned about her, but I know they provide her with very nice (I’ve tried them ;) ) sugarfree desserts and cake.
Thanks again x

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
Tell her if she does it again you'll report it as a safeguarding issue.
K
Understandably I think, I’m loathe to do this, but I do have other concerns re this member of staff,so am making mental notes. Nothing awful, just the occasional comment etc.
However I do appreciate your input, thank you :)

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
My mother is in a care home, on a dementia ward. Her best friend, Miss T, is diabetic (I don't know which type). I know they monitor her blood sugars and give medication. I also think they quietly substitute no or lower sugar versions of things like ice cream at meals, and they do encourage Miss T to eat a balanced diet, but at other times she is given sweets. For example, they haven't denied her cake when it's someone's birthday, and at Christmas dinner she had her choice of pudding. I think they are reasonably careful and the staff (even the activities people) are aware, but they don't make a fuss about it. Of course I'm not privy to all the details of her care plan.

I'm not sure if that is at all helpful. I can understand they unlimited huge bars of chocolate aren't helpful and certainly you should make your concerns known if you are really worried.

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
My mum is a type 2 diabetic. The previous CH manager decided mum was never to have anything that she deemed 'sugar', that meant no desserts, no biscuit with her tea and no cake even when it was a residents birthday. It didn't matter how many times we told her that diabetics can have anything, just in moderation, we would still have to feed her chocolate, my mums absolute favourite, on the sly.

At 88 and with advanced AD what exactly are we protecting her from. As far as I am concerned she has precious little to make her smile so she can have something lush now and then.

I completely understand and to an extent agree. But I know here they provide sugar free desserts and cake and am not opposed to a biscuit with a cuppa, which they both get. I wasn’t though sure of the effects of a nut laden chocolate bar on an insulin dependent diabetic. I’m learning:)
Thanksx

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
I'm diabetic type II (I'm guessing that's the one we are talking about here and not the one where you need regular insulin injections) and I eat chocolate. Having diabetes doesn't mean you have to follow a totally sugar free diet, especially when someone is only borderline. As others have said, you can eat everything, but in moderation. As long as it's otherwise well controlled with regular blood tests, I really wouldn't worry too much. Not trying to sound glib, but the dementia is probably the bigger problem in terms of life expectancy.

Thanks,you’re not sounding glib, I asked for opinions and am happy to receive them. Yes,mam is borderline so I’m not too concerned about her, her friend is insulin dependent though, thin and frail, prone to falls.
I u derstand the dementia is probably more life threatening, but the quality of life remaining concerns me and I’m ignorant of the effects of diabetes so I am grateful for your reply x

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
I agree with quizbunny, it wouldn't be top of my list of issues. My mother loves sweet food and I wouldn't see 'borderline diabetic' as an urgent reason to stop her eating it. Restricting it - yes if possible.

Yes, not too concerned about mam, more her insulin dependent friend. With mam I’ve discovered a nice cappuccino is a good treat rather than a cake or similar, she does love a frothy coffee :)

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
My mother is in a care home, on a dementia ward. Her best friend, Miss T, is diabetic (I don't know which type). I know they monitor her blood sugars and give medication. I also think they quietly substitute no or lower sugar versions of things like ice cream at meals, and they do encourage Miss T to eat a balanced diet, but at other times she is given sweets. For example, they haven't denied her cake when it's someone's birthday, and at Christmas dinner she had her choice of pudding. I think they are reasonably careful and the staff (even the activities people) are aware, but they don't make a fuss about it. Of course I'm not privy to all the details of her care plan.

I'm not sure if that is at all helpful. I can understand they unlimited huge bars of chocolate aren't helpful and certainly you should make your concerns known if you are really worried.

Thanks for your input, appreciate it.
I know, in general,the home take a very similar approach and I’m not against that at all. I do think there is a balance to be had between “no sugar” and a disregard for residents welfare. I’m certainly not opposed to the kind of treats you mention, but this ladies attitude seems a little too careless for me. She doesn’t seem to know enough about individuals needs or be looking out for them in general.
I think best approach is to keep an eye out for now. She is not deliberately cruel or anything, but perhaps not as aware as she should be.
Anyway, thanks again x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Thanks,you’re not sounding glib, I asked for opinions and am happy to receive them. Yes,mam is borderline so I’m not too concerned about her, her friend is insulin dependent though, thin and frail, prone to falls.
I u derstand the dementia is probably more life threatening, but the quality of life remaining concerns me and I’m ignorant of the effects of diabetes so I am grateful for your reply x
Diabetes can affect body parts like eyes and feet, which is why they are regularly checked in diabetics. I also hover around the borderline, my feet and eyes are fine, I'm on Metformin, eat what I like and feel absolutey fine. I did go on a diabetes awareness course last year which was very interesting - is there something like this in your area? Or just ask the diabetic nurse for some booklets - there is really good stuff out here.

I agree though that staff, whoever they are, should not ignore someone's medical condition like that. She can't just go against what everyone else is doing just because she feels like it. That shows carelessness that has no place in a care home.

Last edited:

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
Diabetes can affect body parts like eyes and feet, which is why they are regularly checked in diabetics. I also hover around the borderline, my feet and eyes are fine, I'm on Memantine, eat what I like and feel absolutey fine. I did go on a diabetes awareness course last year which was very interesting - is there something like this in your area? Or just ask the diabetic nurse for some booklets - there is really good stuff out here.

Thanks, that’s good to know :)
I’ll get some info from docs next time I’m there.
Mam was offered a place on a similar course, obviously not suitable for her,but didn’t think to do it myself. So much to think of with daughter, dad and mam, sometimes I need a reminder. Thanks :)

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I agree that staff person seemed a bit cavalier; an entire bar of chocolate is quite a lot. Is there a nurse, matron, manager, or similar staff member you would feel comfortable talking with, perhaps?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi All,
I am interested in your thoughts and opinions on this.

Mam is borderline diabetic and on a sugar free diet. A friend of hers in the home is a diabetic who receives insulin before each meal. I have no problem with the overall care, it is one person in particular. She is the Activities Coordinator and will insist on giving chocolate bars as prizes. Also, when giving out tea or coffee, she will give cake, if there is some, to everyone, including mam and her friend.
Today when she gave mam’s friend a chocolate bar I queried it, her response was, “life’s too short”.

Is this dangerous or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Thanks x

Hi Graybiker!

Yes chocolate can be given in moderation. My dad used to be very strict with his diet for type two diabetes but with advanced Alzheimers he has the frightening habit of deciding that he is full after only a spoonful of his meals so I don't mind the home giving him some sugary foods. They are monitoring his diet very well but that said I don't like the attitude of an activity coordinator who says life is too short when handing out chocolate bars to PWDs who also have diabetes!

MaNaAk