Now that he's gone

Ostrich63

Jul 9, 2018
If I were you I would go out tomorrow buy a cheap phone with sim card send him your "new" number - and send him a message saying again you are soul executor and that you will collect information together and let him know its a slow process. (etc relevant to your situation) then pop it in the drawer and forget it for a week or so.

Think I would block him from the number he has for you now too.

Other than that phone him up and say "b*gger off"

Someone once said to me "where there a will there is a family"

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If I were you I would go out tomorrow buy a cheap phone with sim card send him your "new" number - and send him a message saying again you are soul executor and that you will collect information together and let him know its a slow process. (etc relevant to your situation) then pop it in the drawer and forget it for a week or so.

Think I would block him from the number he has for you now too.
I do like that solution :D
It frees up your phone, you dont have to see it and it keeps all the evidence separate :cool:.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I never cease to be stunned by the bold-faced effrontery of some people. I do like @Ostrich63's suggestion of a new phone & number. I would send him a text saying it will take several months (or whatever a realistic time frame is) to settle things and repeat that word for word each time.

There's always the option of telling him since he wasn't around before, he can keep himself away now till things are done.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Taking @Ostrich63 ’s suggestion in mind I’ve ordered myself a new smartphone. My old one is so old it keeps cutting off people when they try to phone me. If bro starts pestering I’ll buy a new sim for the old phone and give him that number.

I was quite short with him last night but haven’t quite told him to b*gger off yet...

If he hadn’t spent “his inheritance” on a boat before he’d got it he wouldn’t be in a pickle now!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
If he hadn’t spent “his inheritance” on a boat before he’d got it he wouldn’t be in a pickle now!

Hard to feel any sympathy. Money isn't yours until it's in his bank account.

He clearly has no clue as to how long these things can take as he seems to be expecting money instantly.

I suspect you haven't heard the last from him if he needs the money to repay the loan.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Well there’s nothing I can do. I don’t have the money until probate is sorted and the bungalow is sold. Can’t kick the tenants out until their contract ends tho bro clearly thinks I can. I don’t think he understands that having tenants in situ until probate is sorted is saving both time and money. Of course he wouldn’t care about the time as it would be me who had to maintain the garden etc.

If he gets shirty I’ll be charging the going rate :mad::mad:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
You are correct in that keeping the bungalow occupied is saving money in terms of upkeep etc.

I know from colleagues that probate can take time to sort, frustratingly so at times, but several months is not unreasonable.

I know if my mum dies in the near future (she's fit and well and it's unlikely) I've thought about dragging out the probate process - not excessively but enough to irritate my brother, but I decided I'd just want to get it done and over with. Mum hasn't got a will, but I'm hoping to get brother to agree to transfer some money straight to his kids, as otherwise he'll spend it all and then at least there's a back up for them (thinking if mum dies before his kids finish uni - he doesn't live with them). I'd mirror the same with my kids just to get him to do this.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I was executor for my aunt and couldn’t deal with it emotionally so handed it straight over to the solicitor. I seem to remember it taking 9 months to complete.

So far I’m coping reasonably well with sorting what I can of dad’s estate before I hand over to the solicitor to sort out the trusts. I think I’ll let them apply for probate too. Sister has offered help but there’s not really much she can do. I just want my bro and his bad attitude to stay away.

I’m quite capable of dragging my feet . The more he pushes the heavier my feet will get...

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
@Bunpoots, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Not what you need. I've no advice in addition to the excellent suggestions already offered. How about some ((((((hugs))))))?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Well there’s nothing I can do. I don’t have the money until probate is sorted and the bungalow is sold. Can’t kick the tenants out until their contract ends tho bro clearly thinks I can. I don’t think he understands that having tenants in situ until probate is sorted is saving both time and money. Of course he wouldn’t care about the time as it would be me who had to maintain the garden etc.

If he gets shirty I’ll be charging the going rate :mad::mad:

Take your time @Bunpoots It's time for a bit of relaxation I think. If I were in your position I would be taking a nice long holiday somewhere nice. The probate can wait a bit :D:cool:

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@Bunpoots. If I had a brother like yours I wouldn’t be in a rush to sort probate. Luckily mine is helpful and supportive but a shame he’s 500 miles away.
Sending hugs and virtual support

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Since I last posted on this thread I've found myself seized by a strange inertia and haven't managed to motivate myself to do anything I haven't had to deal with immediately.

I plodded through sorting out dad's estate and then realised that by the time I'd got all the info together it was easier to complete probate online than go to a solicitor. When I collected the will my solicitor told me what I needed to do free of charge so that's what I've done. I'll be using them to sort out the house sale and trust. The tenants are leaving on the 19th of June so the bungalow will be on the market on the 20th. I haven't decided whether to go for a good price or a quick sale yet. Probably the latter cos I just want everything dealt with.

Dad left gave me half the bungalow ten years ago but brother and sister expect me to include my half in the probate. I'm going to have to deal with the kick back when they realise this is not going to happen. I'd miss my sister if she never spoke to me again but I don't care about brother after his behaviour. Neither of them were very supportive while dad was alive but sister was better than bro. She stepped up at the end to sort out his bungalow after he went into care. If I'm cynical I'd say that was because she knew she wouldn't have to deal with caring for dad... Neither have asked if I'm OK since he's died. I'm not. I thought I would be.

This low feeling has taken me by surprise.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))) @Bunpoots
Grief tales a while to work through and low moods often come back. Im still plagued by them and its over 2 years since mum passed away.
Be gentle with yourself.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Bunpoots
you've been busy and expending emotional energy ... your reserves are low, and that's when, I think, the inertia hits ... a bit like body and mind telling you they need rest, so they go on strike
I lost dad at the end of january and it's odd how anything out of the ordinary hits me, but then sometimes the mundane everyday is just too much bother
grief works in mysterious ways, I'd say do with the flow, don't push yourself hard

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Thanks @ Canary. I can understand your low moods more than mine as you're still stuck in the middle of it!

I look after a little boy for a friend occasionally and his Grandma, who died shortly after my dad had suspected dementia, although nothing showed on scans, and psychosis. His poor mum is frantic with worry as her son is now suffering from extreme anxiety so bad he is almost agoropobic (not sure of spelling!), unable to attend school properly and was referred to CAMHS a couple of weeks back after a panic attack ended in a visit to A&E. I wonder how much of this is due to what he's witnessed from his Gran over the last year or so. His gran was 83years older than her 10yr old grandson when she died and they were close. She often stopped at his house but was sometimes very unpleasant to him.

I'm very worried about him too and doing what I can to support him and his mum... But having to stay indoors with him 3 days a week because he thinks the sky looks wrong or the sun is going to crash into to the world is not helping my mood.

I often wonder how carers who have to stay in with their PWD manage to stay sane. They really have my sympathy cos I just go stir crazy :confused: