close to the end. .... at peace now

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello all
I guess it's time to post here

dad hasn't been good for some while but midweek it was clear he was poorly and as always his lovely carers took action, called the GP and kept a careful watch
he has a chest infection and was put on antibiotics
I was with him yesterday and such a change from tuesday
he is failing
and we doubt he'll be here next week

he is quiet and comfortable
the staff are all clued up on end of life meds and as ever making sure all is done for him kindly and gently

I am so glad he is still in their care as a move to a nursing home was on the cards
they know him well, many have been with him over his nearly 4 years in the home
it's comforting to know that they saw the man he is rather than have only known him in his last days

my sister is with him today and I will visit this evening

after these years, this downturn is unexpected and sudden and quite honestly a relief
also, of course, a very real sadness

I hope he fades now and goes in peace

my dad's name is Fred; he loved my mum Sylvia and his 2 girls and grandsons; he is a good man and has had a good life

every best wish to all of you who, I know, understand all of this

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I hope that he does fade and have a peaceful passing, we both know from what we've read that it can be a rollercoaster.

My mother shares her name with yours, it was such a common name once, she was one of 4 in her class at school, and now rarely heard (although of course it is on TP)

BrianSausage

Nov 2, 2018
hello all

dad hasn't been good for some while but midweek it was clear he was poorly and as always his lovely carers took action, called the GP and kept a careful watch
he is failing

the staff are all clued up on end of life meds and as ever making sure all is done for him kindly and gently

I am so glad he is still in their care as a move to a nursing home was on the cards
it's comforting to know that they saw the man he is rather than have only known him in his last days

after these years, this downturn is unexpected and sudden and quite honestly a relief

my dad's name is Fred; he loved my mum Sylvia and his 2 girls and grandsons; he is a good man and has had a good life

I hope your dad passes peacefully.
I am at the same stage with my mum. She’s on end of life meds via a syringe driver. Not eating or drinking. Just sleeping peacefully.
Let’s hope our parents journeys are over soon.
My mum has been a fighter all her life. She’s 86. Bought up me and my 2 brothers and 2 sisters on her own.
She has 12 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren. She is going to leave a massive whole in all our lives x

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I'm glad your Dad is peaceful and quiet Shedrech, it's all we can wish for for our loved ones. I gained so much comfort and strength from such a passing, I'm sure you will too.

Thinking of you Shedrech, you've been a very special daughter.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry @Shedrech

It sounds like you have reached the last long vigil
This is a strange twilight time when everything seems to stop.
Im glad that he is peaceful and I hope it doesnt go on too long - for everyones sake.
Make sure you eat and sleep
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Shedrech I'm so sorry to read your news. No matter how much we know that this time will come along it's always so hard when it does come.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the strength in the world. Wishing your lovely dad peace.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This is the saddest time @Shedrech and a shock if it`s the result of a sudden downturn.

I can see you are comforted by the care your dad is getting which is so good and I can only hope he stays pain free and reaches the end of his life in his sleep.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
thank you all
and esp @BrianSausage your mum sounds a grand woman
I have been talking with friends and hearing from you fellow TPers which is a comfort
who knows how the next few days will be; one step at a time as dad used to tell me
I will let you know

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
Sending my best wishes too. I hope it’s a comfort to you that everyone on TP can understand the journey you have been through and I wish your Dad peace and a release from this horrible illness.

Last edited:

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London

it's comforting to know that they saw the man he is rather than have only known him in his last days...

This is such a difficult stage Shedrech and I do feel for you and your family. I also understand how comforting it is when others see the person our loved ones are rather than only knowing them in the final days.

@BrianSausage I am sorry to hear that you are also facing this stage.

I have both of you and your respective families in my thoughts and, as hard as this stage is, I hope that the passing of your loved ones is peaceful and that you will draw strength and comfort from that.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
As with my dad when end of life suddenly appeared and probably many others on TP whilst we all know it is inevitable the speed of a sudden downturn impacting so drastically still takes us by surprise. I hope your much loved dad is kept comfortable and painfree and slips easily into sleep and beyond...I too felt a great sense of relief for my dad that end of dementia life had been reached and he peacefully drifted away. Sending you many hugs for the days ahead and thinking of your dad..you..and your family. Take comfort that he will feel blessed to have you with him as you have always been to the last...a wonderful caring daughter.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
So sorry to hear this @Shedrech.
He is peaceful cared for and most of all loved by you and your sister.
My Dad was also a Fred, special guys aren’t they..
(((Hugs)))

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
So sorry to read this @Shedrech but I hope your dad can pass swiftly & peacefully.
My dad passed 19 yrs ago this month & although he had been in hospital, his passing came suddenly & without much warning. Family members had visited him on the Thursday evening, he was sat up in bed laughing & joking. Friday morning, I got a phone call from the hospital saying me & my mum needed to come. He had slipped into a coma & never woke up, a few hrs later he passed. It was peaceful & the nurses were lovely but we were all shocked at how sudden it was. Sending you big hugs xx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
hello all

he is failing

All blessings at this time, Alice xxx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
many thanks all - such kindness
dad is fading - still sleeping so no distress, for which I am so grateful