Help

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
We were advised by a Social Worker that my Dad who is currently in hospital had lost mental capacity and we needed to apply for
a Deputyship. We left the COP3 form on the ward to be completed. We chased today and the Drs are saying that the tesr he had carried out does not enable them to fill out the COP3. We are now thinking he has not had a Mental Capacity Test but was asked just a few questions to see how bad.his dementia is. We are at our wits end. Any thoughts?.

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
Is there another test that the hospital could have done that is similar to The Mental Capacity Test?

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
My Mum had the Addenbrookes Ace 111 test when a psychiatrist was appointed to visit her from the CoP to assess capacity in order to put everything in place officially. Perhaps it would be better to ask Dads own GP to complete it as they will be forwarded all hospital notes to clarify the situation.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Capacity assessment is a minefield. my MIL is constantly sending the carers away or not letting them do their job. The admiral nurse, social worker and GP all keep telling me they cannot assess overall capacity/ incapacity and that it has to be assessed in each situation. They are just deciding to assess her capacity to make decisions re her medication, but even if she is assessed as not having capacity to decide the care agency has said it will make no difference to her care (or not!) as they cannot force her to take her meds. At a loss as to how we should be looking after her.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
. We left the COP3 form on the ward to be completed. We chased today and the Drs are saying that the tesr he had carried out does not enable them to fill out the COP3.

If he unable to certify incapacity is he prepared to at act as certificate provider for LPAs?
A much cheaper route if he will.

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
If he unable to certify incapacity is he prepared to at act as certificate provider for LPAs?
A much cheaper route if he will.
The hospital are now saying they will complete. I so wish he had done an LPA years ago.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The hospital are now saying they will complete. I so wish he had done an LPA years ago.

Better late than never.
A silver lining is that you may find that the hospital based doctor will not charge for completion.

Think about what to put on the deputy application, this prevents a possible further application for a specific action. There may not be anything to specify, common omissions are selling a property and handling managed investments. If in doubt ask the OPG, they cannot give advice but are good at factual statements, for yes/no answers emails are good as they provide a record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife