Day Centre Costs

sarahsea

Dec 19, 2017
Am I being unrealistic in hoping for funding to pay for my husband to attend a day centre? He's 61 with early onset Alzheimer's and his behaviour (wandering the streets, talking to strangers etc) is making him vulnerable. He was recently pushed over by someone and although he's appears happy and smiling, he gets too close too people and likes to pat them on the back, which they don't always appreciate.

The nearest suitable day centre is almost 30 miles away and costs £55 a day including lunch. So far I've managed to get him there twice - he thinks he's a volunteer, as he's not able to understand his diagnosis. Ideally I'd like him to go 3 times a week. He comes back happy and tired, although he can't remember what he did. Transport is also an issue. Even volunteer driving schemes would be too much, so I'd probably have to drive him there myself.

He's in receipt of PiP, enhanced rate, he has no other income and won't get his state pension until he's 66. He has less than £10k in savings. I expect the funding situation varies across the country, but I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Voluntary work has been suggested, e.g. in a charity shop, but he can't follow conversations easily and would struggle to follow instructions, or remember what to do. He would need such a lot of support, that he wouldn't actually be of any assistance to the charity.

I really feel that he needs the enjoyable stimulation which he gets at the centre. It makes him much calmer in the evenings and less prone to go out for walks every 10 minutes. It tires him, but in a good way, I think. I just want him to be safe and happy somewhere and not constantly wandering the streets desperate for social interaction. Any thoughts?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know your situation but have you had a needs assessment for him and a carers assessment for yourself? If they did a financial assessment they would see that he shouldn't have to pay for a day centre, however they would need to approve it first. My OH never had to pay a penny for day centre attendance, and he went five days a week. All he had to pay for was lunch at £3.40 a day.

sarahsea

Dec 19, 2017
I don't know your situation but have you had a needs assessment for him and a carers assessment for yourself? If they did a financial assessment they would see that he shouldn't have to pay for a day centre, however they would need to approve it first. My OH never had to pay a penny for day centre attendance, and he went five days a week. All he had to pay for was lunch at £3.40 a day.

Thanks Beate, it's interesting that you were able to get the day care paid for. Yes he's had a care needs assessment and they concluded that he didn't need anything as his wife does everything for him! He doesn't accept / understand / remember the diagnosis, so any conversations with professionals are awkward and he tends to say that there aren't any problems. I had a carer's assessment and they said there wasn't anything they could do at the moment - I had specifically said that I wanted a couple of days' break from him every week as looking after him is so draining. All they offered was a £400 one off payment in recognition of the stress I'm under as his full time carer. That's supposed to be spent of doing something for myself, which I can't do because I'm a carer. But of course, I can't get away from him to do that (because I'm a carer!)

I have emailed the social worker who did the assessments as he definitely needs a day centre, asking how I can make an application for funding. They knew that I was trying to get him to attend one and seemed to think his PiP money would be used for that. There is a day centre much nearer, (and I think it's much cheaper) but it doesn't suit him as the people who go there are much older and less active. I know he wouldn't be interested.

I understand about budget constraints and cutbacks, but all I'm asking for is some help for 3 days a week and that would be much cheaper than full time care for him should I decide to claim back my life and move out. Thank you for your comment. I shall persevere!