Self talking

mistrymachine

Feb 18, 2017
My mother who is suspected to have lewy-body dementia with early stage parkinson's has recently started to think out loud usually about something negative. She also seems to hallucinate and talks while staring at the spoon. She gets surprised when we respond. It starts from the time she wakes up until she goes to bed. It often amazes where she finds so much energy to talk continuously with her poor food intake.The only time she takes short pauses is when she is very sleepy or walking (because she has to pay attention). Her attention span is so low that any form of distraction doesnt work. It often creates socially awkward situations. I am not sure if its affecting her in a negative way but she has become more stubborn lately and also gets irritated quickly. Has anyone experienced similar situation? What stage is this and how long does it last?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My mother who is suspected to have lewy-body dementia with early stage parkinson's has recently started to think out loud usually about something negative. She also seems to hallucinate and talks while staring at the spoon. She gets surprised when we respond. It starts from the time she wakes up until she goes to bed. It often amazes where she finds so much energy to talk continuously with her poor food intake.The only time she takes short pauses is when she is very sleepy or walking (because she has to pay attention). Her attention span is so low that any form of distraction doesnt work. It often creates socially awkward situations. I am not sure if its affecting her in a negative way but she has become more stubborn lately and also gets irritated quickly. Has anyone experienced similar situation? What stage is this and how long does it last?

I wonder, can she see herself in the spoon and think it is someone else.

Sorry but that is all I can think of.

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
Hi there, my mum has Alzheimer's and is blind and often has (what I call) two way conversations. She will call out hello followed by her own name. I used to respond but now I wait as lots of times she then continues with a reply. Mum plays both parts. It used to upset me as I couldn't break into the conversation. Now I accept it as on these occasions she is actually less distressed. It's not all the time but happens a lot. It so much better than when she is cross and confused and reacting to anything we try to do which results in her tearing her clothes off. The horror of this disease is unimaginable before you experience it first hand. No matter how hard we try to find a logical explanation for what is happening it still eludes us. xxx