Aggression

Baldingend94988

Nov 3, 2018
My Dad is 74 and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's August 2017. He lives with my mum. He has in the past taken to wander off and get lost. We recently acquired a tracking GPS device which helps us keep peace of mind. His condition has deteriorated so that he cannot really make himself understood or understand us, although there are decreasing moments of clarity. He has recently become increasingly aggressive with my mum, and after a recent missing period, I witnessed this. On advise from health advisors, I taken him to A & E. Here he became extremely aggressive and is now there is talk of a nursing home. Does anyone know how the long the aggression lasts over time? Mum is understandably at her wits end, but myself and my brothers are wondering if the period will pass

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Baldingend94988, welcome to the forum, which I hope you will find to be a friendly, informative and supportive place.

This behaviour can have many causes so it would be difficult to put a time line on it. I presume that checks are being made to rule out causes such as infection, pain, or medication side effect etc.

In the hope that it may assist you, here's a link to the Society Factsheet about this issue. Clicking on the PDF link will enable an easier read.
Aggressive behaviour (509)
PDF printable version

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Of paramount importance here is your mum's safety. The normal advice given on TP is that she should carry a fully charged mobile with her(ie on her person) at all times and have a 'safe' room with a lock on that she could retreat to - this might be the bathroom, or a lock might need putting on a spare bedroom.

If your mum no longer feels she can manage then this needs to be respected. There is a big difference between seeing someone for a couple of hours and being there 24/7.

Baldingend94988

Nov 3, 2018
My family and I attended a meeting and waited for over an hour and nobody turned up. After another meeting was arranged, we are now told that the social worker that was going to tell us the next stage of dad's condition, is not experienced to chair a meeting. We now have no one who can help Dad, who is becoming increasingly confused in a strange place. He is left on a ward and we feel he has no support. I feel like I must complain to get things moving. Who should I speak to?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We now have no one who can help Dad, who is becoming increasingly confused in a strange place. He is left on a ward and we feel he has no support. I feel like I must complain to get things moving. Who should I speak to?

I'm presuming your dad was admitted to hospital, my apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick.

I have no experience of this as it doesn't exist in Scotland but I have read posts on this forum about 'PALS' - a Patient Advice and Liaison Service. It might be of help to you. This is the link - https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...t-is-pals-patient-advice-and-liaison-service/

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
My family and I attended a meeting and waited for over an hour and nobody turned up. After another meeting was arranged, we are now told that the social worker that was going to tell us the next stage of dad's condition, is not experienced to chair a meeting. We now have no one who can help Dad, who is becoming increasingly confused in a strange place. He is left on a ward and we feel he has no support. I feel like I must complain to get things moving. Who should I speak to?
who is in charge of the ward? Is this someone you can speak to? Or the head hospital social worker? I am so sorry for this waste of time. Kindred.