Worried about John

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dear Hazel,
You must be so thankful for this delightful time with John. Your devotion and love for him shine through every post. I'm so glad for you - earlier this year, things seemed so grim.

Love and kisses to both of you, (even though you won't reveal whether John is a true Scot :D)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John has been completely unresponsive for the last few days, not opening his eyes at all, and falling asleep mid-mouthful.:(

I was worried, because I have to go to Glasgow tomorrow for a meeting, and was wondering if I'd need to cancel.

When I went in at lunchtime today, I was greeted with broad grins, and 'John's not here'. Thank goodness for the grins, or I'd have flipped!

He was in the sensory room, and I was taken to join him.

It was wonderful. There was calming music playing, and a pleasant scent. A vertical glass tube filled with water was bubbling away, with coloured fishes (toy) gently rising and falling.

John was holding a bundle of fibreoptic strands which changed colour oll the time. His eyes were open, and he was fascinated. The activities co-ordinator was talking to him gently all the time.

He enjoyed his lunch afterwards, and was sound asleep when I left. I was quite relaxed too!:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Hazel

That is so good to hear.

I wonder why this form of therapy isn`t used more often in more homes. John`s home is the first I`ve heard who use it. It is widely used in special schools to stimulate and develop interest.

You`ll feel easier in your mind now about going to Glasgow tomorrow.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks, Sylvia. I'll see how he is at teatime, and if he's still OK, I'll go. I'm a bit worried about being out of touch, I'm going by train to avoid the hassle of parking, so I wouldn't be able to get home quickly in an emergency.

They've sent off another swab of his heel, though it should be OK, it's completely healed over now. They've also sent one of his eyes, they're very crusty just now, and that's new.

But they don't seem too worried -- it's just me!

Love,

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
They've also sent one of his eyes

:eek::confused::eek:

Hopefully just a swab of one of his eyes. :D

The sensory room does sound interesting. Is it for just for stimulation or does it relax as well? Just thinking of steam rooms and the like where they have those lights that change colour for relaxation.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
They've also sent one of his eyes,

:eek::eek::eek:

Sue..I thought exactly the same when I read that....:D

I'm sure Hazel means a swab.....:D

The sensory room sounds wonderful, Hazel.

It's interesting because Eric enjoys twinkly lights and is fascinated by lava lamps etc.

I'm wondering if we could set up something similar at home..with the dark nights coming I may benefit from it too.

This could be an interesting project for the winter months..;)

Glad all is ok with you..and that John is ok too....(apart from his missing eye...):)

Love gigi xx

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
They've also sent one of his eyes,

Ouch!:D

Maybe it relaxed me too well!:eek:

Yes, it is for relaxation, Sue. I imagine it makes John more responsive simply because he is more relaxed.

Gigi, I think it's a good idea to set one up at home. The garden centres will soon be awash with fibreoptic thingies for Christmas, and the music and perfume will be easy to find.

Perhaps I need one myself -- I've decided I can't face putting the house on the market at the moment, so I've got spare rooms.

John was fine again tonight, so I'll be off to Glasgow tomorrow -- 6.50 train!:eek: Might manage some retail therapy after the meeting!:D

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Do hope that everything goes uneventfully for you on your trip to Glasgow Hazel.

Wonderful news about John's reaction to the sensory room. Am thinking that I must give it another try for Lionel.

Strangely enough the doctor came out to see Lionel twice in the week of his birthday. The second time was for his eyes. I was able to help them do the swab. The eye drops worked wonderfully.
Eyes fine now.

Let us know how your day away goes. Sending love to you both.

Edited to add: (Might manage some retail therapy after the meeting!) What do you mean 'might'

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John has drops for his eyes, and he also has a chest infection. He's very sleepy, and I had a struggle to get him to eat today -- unlike him! He's not well at all at the moment.

The good news is, his heel is clear, so there's no reason for him to get MRSA again.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Hazel,

Sorry to hear that John has another infection....is he having any antibiotics?

Fingers crossed it will clear up fairly quickly.

Good news about the heel, though.

Look after yourself...and keep us posted.

love gigi xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Hazel:

Just keeping in touch with your post and sorry to hear that John has yet another infection. Has he has a 'chest' one before, or were the others UTIs?

I feel for you. One minute things seem to be going well and then 'crash' something else develops. Thinking about you.

Love Jan

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Hazel:

Just keeping in touch with your post and sorry to hear that John has yet another infection. Has he had a 'chest' one before, or were the others UTIs?

I feel for you. One minute things seem to be going well and then 'crash' something else develops. Thinking about you.

Love Jan

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
He's had a few chest infections, Jan, for a while they alternated with UTIs. But he's been clear for quite a while now.

I know I shouldn't, but you can't help hoping!:(

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry to hear the latest news Hazel. One step forwards and two steps back. :( It`s so hard.
I hope the antibiotics take effect.
love xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hazel,

Sorry to hear about John's chest infection. Does the lack of mobilty increase the risk of chest infections, or is it just something going round the home?

Good to hear he has banished the MRSA :)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks, Sylvia and Sue.

Yes, the lack of mobility does increase the risk of chest infections, fluid builds up in the lungs.

Also, he can't 'cough it up', so any infection tends to stick around.

He's a bit big to turn upside down and thump his back!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
What about those manipulations they do for children with cystic fibrosis? Would there be any help there?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I can't see John letting them thump him, Jennifer. The only thing we can do is keep him as upright as possible in his chair to stop him choking, and even that's difficult.

Because of his lack of balance, he prefers to be horizontal, and caterpillars down the chair to get his head lower.

It takes three to lift him up again, one each side and one for his legs!

The other danger is that he uses his heels to lever himself down -- that's how he got the sores on his heels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife