Winter Indoor Activities

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Sorry not a clue as my husband is not interested in anything, so I would be grateful of any ideas aswell. Lx

fortune

Sep 12, 2014
Dominoes? My mum can play it for hours at a time. But that means I have to as well!

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
Sorry not a clue as my husband is not interested in anything, so I would be grateful of any ideas aswell. Lx
My husband is the same, not interested in anything except baseball & cars. It's going to be a long winter. All he does is go up & down the stairs, I watch him and just shake my head.
Good Luck. Hope you find something to interest him.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
John loves his football magazines. I don’t know if he is actually reading or just looking at the pictures but they keep him occupied. I remember Izzy I think saying her husband liked to cut out pictures from them and perhaps he made collages.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That’s right @marionq he did. He carefully ripped round the edges of photos he wanted. I didn’t give him scissors! He was beyond making collages. He put them into litltle bundles and sorted through them.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Anybody know of any simple indoor activities for the winter that I can give my husband to do Many Thanks
My husband enjoys playing Connect 4 (donated by our Grandson). Although he doesn’t remember the rules of the game he spends hours shuffling the counters around and fitting them randomly into the frame. He’s also got a “rummage box” which he keeps bits and pieces in like his various badges when he played bowls etc. he likes taking them out and sorting them. Anything to keep his hands busy

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
My husband enjoys playing Connect 4 (donated by our Grandson). Although he doesn’t remember the rules of the game he spends hours shuffling the counters around and fitting them randomly into the frame. He’s also got a “rummage box” which he keeps bits and pieces in like his various badges when he played bowls etc. he likes taking them out and sorting them. Anything to keep his hands busy
Hi:

Good ideas, he has lots of car magazines, maybe he could tear out car pictures and put in box, colors on connect four might keep him busy. I bought him a car model once, he never did it, just said it was to easy and threw it away. My problem is he doesn't want to believe there is anything wrong with him. It was for ages 4-5, maybe he saw that & got upset.

Thanks

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My problem is he doesn't want to believe there is anything wrong with him. It was for ages 4-5, maybe he saw that & got upset...

That could be so - I used to put strategically placed stickers on game boxes to hide that information - it seemed to help.

Naturally our activities changed as the disease progressed and I also found that hubby was happier doing joint activities rather than being left to do something alone but some of the things we enjoyed were -

jigsaws, playing 'snap', word searches, jenga, dominoes, hangman, reading short snippets from newspapers, joke books, reminiscence activities - and occasionally we baked something simple together like shortbread or a cake.

Keeping the bird feeders replenished and watching birds visit the garden over winter, also entertained him.

My husband also enjoyed watching nature programmes and anything about Scotland. I collected calendars of wildlife and Scottish scenes which he often enjoyed looking through, long after they were out of date.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
For us its walk, walks and more walks. Weather conditions have never been an obstacle to my husband or his family. They walk in any weather conditions.
But he has no other interests...when I first met him he was building a car. He worked and worked around our houses, he never had any "activities" as such.
His entertainment were big activities and adventures, sailing, trekking, rock climbing. No social pasttimes like cards or dominos. So, it is difficult now....so unless we walk he is just sitting, and staring out the window waiting for me to take him for a walk.
Weather is not looking too good for me....I prefer fair weather walks.

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
For us its walk, walks and more walks. Weather conditions have never been an obstacle to my husband or his family. They walk in any weather conditions.
But he has no other interests...when I first met him he was building a car. He worked and worked around our houses, he never had any "activities" as such.
His entertainment were big activities and adventures, sailing, trekking, rock climbing. No social pasttimes like cards or dominos. So, it is difficult now....so unless we walk he is just sitting, and staring out the window waiting for me to take him for a walk.
Hi PalSal:

Sounds so familiar. It is difficult. We could walk but he gets so tired now. It's going to be a long, long winter. He aches all over so he can't even go out to shovel snow. I'm just a one woman show now.

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
It's walks for us aswell, that's all he wants to do when we're not walking he is pacing round the house looking out of windows and eventually he picks the dog lead up and off we go again!

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
It's walks for us aswell, that's all he wants to do when we're not walking he is pacing round the house looking out of windows and eventually he picks the dog lead up and off we go again!

Hi:

Thanks. My husband is always looking out window to. Do they feel caged in? What is it? Is it because he feels like he's lost his freedom and he can't pick up & go whenever he wants by himself. Doesn't make any sense to me, but nothing does anymore.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
As we no longer have a car, unless friends are out of town, it is easy to find ways to walk...to the post office, to the store, to the city (for a long walk)
His scenic walks I leave much of the time to the carer who comes for his long hikes. Keeping him walking has been the key to his health and beneficial in many ways. He has never wandered because he gets lots of exercise.

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
As we no longer have a car, unless friends are out of town, it is easy to find ways to walk...to the post office, to the store, to the city (for a long walk)
His scenic walks I leave much of the time to the carer who comes for his long hikes. Keeping him walking has been the key to his health and beneficial in many ways. He has never wandered because he gets lots of exercise.

Hi PalSal:

Thanks. good to know. He used to jog all the time to keep in shape. Maybe I will have to hire someone to take him for daily walks. We do get out but I cannot let him out on his own anymore and I still have cooking & cleaning to do. After a while you get tired of watching TV, they always have the same programs.

Thanks Again.:)

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Hi PalSal:

Thanks. good to know. He used to jog all the time to keep in shape. Maybe I will have to hire someone to take him for daily walks. We do get out but I cannot let him out on his own anymore and I still have cooking & cleaning to do. After a while you get tired of watching TV, they always have the same programs.

Thanks Again.:)
I think I will have to try and find somebody to walk with my OH as I never get time to do anything and if I do get any time I'm too tired to do anything and he doesn't like me doing housework anyway:(. Lx

SameDifference

May 18, 2016
My father in law loved singing along to Christmas songs whether carols or pop songs. We took him to services where nobody minded him conducting or singing his own words. At this time of year there are lots of CDs with Christmas music; we didn't use them so much at home since we just sang with him all the time, but CDs might help.
Hope it's OK to mention that Barrington Court, National Trust, in South Somerset, is hosting "Relaxed" days on Mondays & Fridays in Dec this year. (Also 19 & 26 Nov.) Property is open 1030h-1500h, disabled visitor half-price and one or two carers free; no need to 'prove' you're a carer, just say so -- that's NT policy. I'm a volunteer at Barrington Court and have organised live music on those days. Manager chose Mon & Fri because the place is very quiet, no families making happy noises and running round. They're called Relaxed, like some big concert performances, because nobody will mind a bit if a visitor starts conducting etc.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
My husband is the same, not interested in anything except baseball & cars. It's going to be a long winter. All he does is go up & down the stairs, I watch him and just shake my head.
Good Luck. Hope you find something to interest him.
@dancer12 I think your husbands brother maybe living with me. Up and down the stairs all day long unless of course he is off walking in the forests and mountains. I would love it is he would try to do a puzzle or dominos. But I am open to trying things. Bring on the ideas.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peanutbrain