Power of attorney - notifying HMRC

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
Hi everyone,

A lot of people have questions about the process of registering for power of attorney. Below we have some information that HMRC give out to people:

There is a page on HMRC which contains helpful information about power of attorney ('Make, register or end a lasting power of attorney'). However, there is no obvious (postal) point of contact. HMRC would like any registration to be confirmed in writing.

There is an address that you can write to - if you send a certified copy of the power of attorney document. Make sure that you explicitly request its return.

The address is:

PAYE & Self Assessment, HMRC, BX9 1AS

Hopefully this is helpful for some of you! :)

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou for this Sophie!

One of my invisibles is coming to visit over the weekend and whilst I am looking forward to seeing him and my two nephews I am trying to avoid him asking me to change dad's POA again. He wants dad's financial POA to have myself, himself and my other invisible to be equal attorneys. I have said that we would have to pay for it again and it may not be possible because dad is losing or rather has lost capacity. Although my invisible is happy with the care home he says I did not ask his opinion on him entering the care home in the first place. I was caring for dad and he was becoming aggressive with the carers and having falls. His appetite was all over the place and of course he has diabetes. My invisible would have tried to talk me out of putting dad in a home but I feel that through doing this I have probably saved dad's life.

My other invisible is also concerned about my finances and dad's finances but he didn't even give dad a birthday card. He is only giving dad a new fleece after I said that the home is losing track of some of dad's clothes. Technically I am more relaxed after putting dad in the home but my invisibles can be a headache! I'm so sorry for bringing them up again. They do not get on with each other so this makes things even more difficult.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Well done for getting the care your dad obviously needs. Is there a POA currently in place? If there is & your dad does not have capacity then the existing POA cannot be changed.

Thankyou Ducky! Dad has both POAs in place and I did tell my invisibles about these when they were being done but they chose not to do their own research! I am currently doing my best to avoid talking about the POAs to them. they should have taken more of an interest before.

I don't know where we all get the strength from!

MaNaAk

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Thank you @SophieD. This year my husband managed to sign his self assessment form after I completed it, but I think by next year I will have to register the LPA...so this is really helpful.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Thank you @SophieD. This year my husband managed to sign his self assessment form after I completed it, but I think by next year I will have to register the LPA...so this is really helpful.
By coincidence, not having seen this thread before, I have, today sent off a copy of my POA for OH to HMRC (at the address quoted by Sophie) together with a letter I typed up and OH signed, giving me permission to act on his behalf in regard to his tax affairs. Yesterday I was struggling to fill in his annual Self Assessment form, when it occurred to me that as he is no longer self-employed, nor do we have income from a rented out flat (we sold it 2 years ago) he should not have to complete an SA form now. I phoned them up and after nearly an hour of being on hold, eventually spoke to an advisor who told me that he probably should not have to complete the form but that I had to register the POA with them before I could write to seek an exemption. He urged me to get on with this soon as if not sorted out by January we would have a statutory penalty for failure to lodge the SA form by the due date. He also said that their service is exceedingly slow because they are grossly understaffed.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
By coincidence, not having seen this thread before, I have, today sent off a copy of my POA for OH to HMRC (at the address quoted by Sophie) together with a letter I typed up and OH signed, giving me permission to act on his behalf in regard to his tax affairs. Yesterday I was struggling to fill in his annual Self Assessment form, when it occurred to me that as he is no longer self-employed, nor do we have income from a rented out flat (we sold it 2 years ago) he should not have to complete an SA form now. I phoned them up and after nearly an hour of being on hold, eventually spoke to an advisor who told me that he probably should not have to complete the form but that I had to register the POA with them before I could write to seek an exemption. He urged me to get on with this soon as if not sorted out by January we would have a statutory penalty for failure to lodge the SA form by the due date. He also said that their service is exceedingly slow because they are grossly understaffed.
Wow, that’s harsh that they might fine you under these circumstances. I only manage to complete my husband’s form with the help of my daughter, who is an accountant. It will be such a relief for you, I’m sure, if you don’t have to do this each year. We have to do it as my husband has a foreign pension.